Thread: Changing Tires

Changing Tires

I've always mounted and balanced my own tires.
    My K13 with the TPM system is almost due for new shoes.
    Do the sensors in the wheels present to much of a problem for the DIYer?
    Does anyone with experience changing tires with this system have any tips or pointers?
    Or is this best left to the dealer?
    Thanks
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Changed tires on some F800's a few years back, no problem, really didn't pay any attention to them, I believe they are on the stem if memory serves me, like I said, really didn't give it a 2nd thought.

I've changed tires on the F800 and the Concours 14 with TPM. The sensors are at the valve stem. It is a little box inside the wheel where the valve stem is. It is maybe a couple of inches long, 3/4 inch wide, and 1/2 inch deep.

When removing the tire, the bottom bead should be lifted over the TPM and then the tire removed.

When mounting the tire, start with the first bead below the sensor, then push the tire on. For the final bead, make sure it stays above the sensor.

If you let the tire bead catch the sensor box, and you remove the tire, the bead will grab the box and tear it off. You can usually feel something is wrong and you can hear a cracking/creaking sound at first. Just keep an eye on it and if you keep the tire beads clear of the box it is no big deal.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Did mine not too long ago. Have done a ton of tires over the last 200,000 miles, but this was the first with the sensors. No Problem. Just pay attention and be careful in that vicinity.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how big the sensors are. Apparently not that big a deal. Let the fun begin.
    Carl S.
    BMWMOA #11500