Thread: Tent Pole Repairs

Tent Pole Repairs

After my most recent trip I discovered that the shock cord about 1/8 dia that holds my tent poles together has broken. The poles are fine otherwise. I see that repair kits are available including pole sections. REI sells the cord which is all I need, BUT how to thread the new shock cord through the poles?

Thanks in advance. Andy

Retired User
    Drop a needle through the pole threaded with heavy duty thread. Then use the thread to pull the shock cord through. Good luck.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    R1200RT

Campmor has it too.

Sometimes there is a knot in each end and sometimes the end is folded over and there is a metal clip. If you haven't seen the clip before it's called a hog ring. Available at most agricultural supply stores. It's a good idea to wear eye protection, Good luck, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

You can get strings etc. to go through tubes by using cloth or plastic to make a soft plug and then sucking the plug and string through the tube.