Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Does BMW Make the Ugliest Line of Motorcycles?

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    I have a graphite 2000 R1100RT that draws favorable comments everywhere I go with it. I also have a 2005 K1200LT but that doesn't get the comments that the R1100RT gets. Now if only the R1100RT was more comfortable for the pillian rider.......
    I had a black R1100rt and got compliments ALL the time. I would be in a gas station with several other riders and people would walk up to me and ask about the bike and compliment it and walk right past the other bikes. Franky, it got embarrassing, and I felt bad for the other guys. The other guys did not want to ride with me anymore, so I bought a R1200rt.
    The beauty of the 1200 is more power, and cruise control and better lights and people don't bother me at gas stations anymore. Thanks BMW.
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    You want ugly? Try the Victory Vision. Looks like they designed a motorcycle while having dreams about Bozo the Clown!
    Much to my amazement/amusement,on our trip to Glacier Park in June, my brothers Vision was a crowd generator...the Asians with the cameras and the Europeans with lot's of questions walked right by the BMW's and surrounded the Alien bike at many of our stops ...except maybe when they noticed Helen was one of the pilots and snapped a pic
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I used to post here, but now I don't.

PitRacer
    Always bet on black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

roughwaterjohn
    Now see, there ya go, Ying for Yang, this for that.. order out of chaos. This thread starts off with questions about the lack of beauty of the BMW model line, then, in a counterpoint I find most apropos, we end with a bevy of beautiful 1100's, surely a fitting and aesthetically pleasing response to the question on BMW beauty. Don't hate us because we're beautiful.

bunkyone
    Hey all: First of all, I'd have to say that my 1100RT IS one of the neatest looking bikes around. Not neat as in cool, but neat as in well packaged. Everything is there for a reason, and it's right where it should be to fulfill it's mission. The GS series (oh boy, here comes the brickbats!!) are just ugly!!! The rear subframe looks like it was designed to be covered but someone stole the covering. The tank is shaped like a plastic ball that's been left in the sun for days, and the front end (fairing, forks, lights, "beak" and all) are just strange to look at. I realize that this bike is a prime example of form following function, but come on, you can be functional without scaring the neighbors children!! Functional designs don't have to be ugly, just look at the aircraft industry for tons of examples. Vaya con Dios,Dutch

Seeking Mental Floss
    You know, I had one of the first 05 RT's sold in this area. I took one look at it and thought it was one of the most beautiful bikes I had ever seen. I was so surprized and shocked by members of this forum who thought it was ugly. It is truly in the eyes of the beholder. And if you're happy, nothing else matters.

Enchanting . . . .

I could admire an airhead endlessly! They are so simple and easy to study. This is my fourth airhead and each one has been great. After a long day I love to roll it outside and admire it while enjoying an adult beverage. My wife, a non rider, makes fun of me. Poor girl!
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    '11 S1000RR

bunkyone
    Hey all: I'm with you Campbell, I haven't ridden my R90 in a couple of months now, (too busy working or riding the RT to get the carbs back on) but even with the Vetter fairing,it's still one fine looking bike. Clean lines, everything where it belongs, and easy to reach. (For the most part. anyway.) Nothing fancy, just good old fashion German engineering. Why does BMW think they have to build bikes that are "sexier" or flashier then everyone else? What happened to selling a product based on how it performs? Vaya con Dios,Dutch

kinda reminds me of how folks describe their signifigant others...mine is the prettiest/ most handsome ... do you really want the truth?

It's all in the eyes of the judger isn't it?

"brickbat" owner
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

1st- My twins were born uuugly...our family and friends would always say they were cute.Luckily they grew into their good looks.
    2nd-I love the smooth lines of the 2002-04 RTs
    3rd-Eye of the Beholder...Thank God 4 diff.tastes or this would B a Very boring world!
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I have a pair of R1200GSes and have to agree that they are pure ugly. The beauty of the design is that there is absolutely nothing you can do to the bike to enhance its ugliness. Big square boxes blend right in. A fat Russell tractor seat? Perfect match! Mud and grime all over the bike? Seems appropriate! Big scrapes from laying it down in loose gravel? Manly battle scars!

But it lets me ride and ride and ride some more, while my buddies with their chrome or Tupperware-clad works of art are cleaning or waxing their bikes.

To me, that's pure beauty!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Steve
    Personally, I think BMW is the Mephisto shoes of the motorcycle world.

angysdad
    I rode a GS/PD for close to 20yrs. I actually had little girls go out of their way to tell my bike was ugly. I liked to tell people, it's attractive in a 'utilitarian' way. Like a hamer, it is designed to fulfill a purpose. The purpose is not looking good.

'If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!'
    Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    The most important appearance is the one from behind the handlebars.

That said I get complements and thumbs up all the time from riders and non riders.
    THAT my friend is pure SEX. Which has nothing to do with prettiness.
    73 R75/5-36mm Dell Orto pumpers, lightened flywheel, polished crank, single cam chain/sprockets, Carillo rods and wrist pins, Wiseco pistons, custom profiled cam, 5 speed, LWB swing arm, ATE disc in front, Progressive front Works rear-yeah, it sh!ts and gits.