Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So many questioins so little knowledge

Steve - you got part numbers for the metal connectors?

Noted on the 1/2 in drive receiver - seems archaic...
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

tourist
    The red arrow is where the vent or "drain" tube connects to. The other end is near the kickstand. It appears to be coming from that location. I just thought maybe there is a puddle of gas in side the round cannister from getting tipped over and is slowly leaking out.

Is the blue arrow pointing to the correct location to access the crank. If so, how to get it off? It looks glued with silicone. I haven't tried a hammer and chisel yet. Just want to confirm and maybe there is a trick without using a hammer.

Looked at the bucket with all the coolant and is quite dirty. Don't think I will filter it maybe just replace coolant.

P8130015.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Steve - you got part numbers for the metal connectors?

Noted on the 1/2 in drive receiver - seems archaic...

the old 90 was:

13537674765 PLUG - 90?? (to 08/06)

I don't see a superseded number, but my 09 has a metal male, but the female tank fitting is still plastic...or was after the current service I am doing

We got the complete kits from the Boneyard for all the bikes...the same ones fit the GSA or the K...so I just got several of the GSA sets to have a spare for folks.
    The plastic female unscrews easily from the pump plate and they give you a tube of fuel resistant sealant to install the new one

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconk12s.html

A relatively small investment to avoid a potential leak! My 07 GSA had one break around 3K as I was riding into work...the top fuel pump plate was full of fuel when I smelled it and stopped..luckily at the dealers door a few blocks from work.

I wonder if they put the 1/2 receiver there so you can use the air gun to rotate the engine faster at times...certainly too fast to line up the timing marks though
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by tourist View Post
    The red arrow is where the vent or "drain" tube connects to. The other end is near the kickstand. It appears to be coming from that location. I just thought maybe there is a puddle of gas in side the round cannister from getting tipped over and is slowly leaking out.

Is the blue arrow pointing to the correct location to access the crank. If so, how to get it off? It looks glued with silicone. I haven't tried a hammer and chisel yet. Just want to confirm and maybe there is a trick without using a hammer.

P8130015.JPG

That tube is on the canister behind the coolant tank...you do seem to have fuel in the canister by what you are seeing. $40 ish canister or bypass it if you aren't EPA paranoid. Not wanting to start a debate on charcoal canisters..AGAIN!

the access point is on the front right side of engine. Mine looks like a silver metal plug witha large TORX socket hole as opposed to the pic in Luis post. the RepRom shows a rubber seal like a press fit...I see no threads?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Post Hijack WARNING

Where did you get the CF lowers........

Back to regular programming
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

tourist
    Got it. Mine is hidden behind the black foam piece.

Will the gas in the canister eventually evaporate if I don't tip the bike over or overfill the tank? Probably don't need to worry about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Post Hijack WARNING

Where did you get the CF lowers........

Back to regular programming
    That's Helen's bike...she has added a few CF things,but the PO spent some $ at Pirates Lair...we assumed he was SINGLE
    Steve Henson

Got it. Mine is hidden behind the black foam piece.

Will the gas in the canister eventually evaporate if I don't tip the bike over or overfill the tank? Probably don't need to worry about it?
    looking at the manual,or trying to...my CD reader is giving me fits this week
    it gives a torque value of 23Nm for that plug...and maybe it has a one time use sealing ring...prob like the copper ones on the banjo fittings on oil & brake lines

Lot's of opinions on the canister...it may evaporate..it may stay clogged since it was for vapor recovery only and it's been doused. Some oilhead guys have reported sucking crud back into the injectors from the older canister. I had a new one here full of water a few weeks back from a submarine bike( sorry Bob) I drained it, but it was cloggged badly.
    Steve Henson

tourist
    Got the plug out. Its alot easy when you remove the correct part. There is a 16mm nut thing that I can rotate the engine. The sealing ring looks like a hard piece of tan rubber. I think it is reusable. Oh yeah, its now in neutral and the engine turns freely.
    I may have this done by next week.

tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Lot's of opinions on the canister...it may evaporate..it may stay clogged since it was for vapor recovery only and it's been doused. Some oilhead guys have reported sucking crud back into the injectors from the older canister. I had a new one here full of water a few weeks back from a submarine bike( sorry Bob) I drained it, but it was cloggged badly.
    I will also mention....Back in the olden days, 9 months ago, when opening the gas cap it would sound like a kiss. Try it. Now it sounds like a big ole raspberry when I open the tank for gas. Is that a sign of a clogged canister?

I will also mention....Back in the olden days, 9 months ago, when opening the gas cap it would sound like a kiss. Try it. Now it sounds like a big ole raspberry when I open the tank for gas. Is that a sign of a clogged canister?
    yes...
    there are two vent lines...one from the filler ring hole down to the stand, it doesn't vent the tank once the lid is closed...it just keeps you from spillin' gas over the top of the tank at fillup and drains rainwater away from the recess so it doesn't enter when you open the cap ...and one in the inner tank fitting that goes to the canister. if you pop the hose off from the upper tank at the canister the vacuum should stop forming at the tank. The coolant tank will come off easily so you can see all the hoses.
    Steve Henson

Got the plug out. Its alot easy when you remove the correct part. There is a 16mm nut thing that I can rotate the engine. The sealing ring looks like a hard piece of tan rubber. I think it is reusable. Oh yeah, its now in neutral and the engine turns freely.
    I may have this done by next week.
    excellent!
    Steve Henson

tourist
    Does it matter which direction feeler goes in?
    Can't use single feeler because it is too stiff to make that curve.
    My set may not be 100% complete but if I use two or three to make up the gap they slide in much easier.

On the first cylinder intakes I get .38mm for sure, .40 no way and I can't test .39 because the numbers don't add up.

The exhaust valve numbers are .23mm on the first valve and the second valve is .20mm yes but .23mm no. I can't add the feelers to get .21 or .22mm.

It is very difficult to squeeze the feelers in there at the angle needed.

Oh yeah, what is the range supposed to be?
    Does the crank stay in the same position the whole time?

tourist
    here's my gas leak.
    The tube is clogged with something and the canister is also clogged.
    P8130016.JPG

info from the manual:

Crank the engine through half a crankshaft rotation each time and check valve clearance at the appropriate cylinder.

Technical data
    Inlet valve clearance
    engine cold max 35 ??C
    0.18...0.28 mm

Exhaust valve clearance
    engine cold max 35 ??C
    0.3...0.4 mm

use a copy of the chart Luis posted...easier to keep track of where you have been
    also the pic also shows the intake clearance being checked..as long as you can get between the lifter and the camshaft.

Seems the charcoal is coming out of the tube with the gas...def a clogged canister. will not get better for sure ...the older oilheads have the canister above the intake level which made the issue worse...these are close to even...but I would still worry about it sucking into the throttle body assy... I would remove the old one while you are there...maybe find a used one at one of the salvage guys...or spend $49...or...
    Steve Henson