Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: All-Purpose Boots

All Purpose Boots

Quote Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
    I'm just too cheap to buy a pair of motorcycle-only boots, and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a pair of the leather/plastic/vinyl blinged-up high-dollar motorcycle-only boots that are popular.

So, what are your recommendations for some solid, all-purpose boots.....boots that give comfort and protection in the workshop, then can be brushed off and then carry you to the rally....while providing safety and protection on your motorcycle. Boots that can ride down the road, and then take you up a hiking trail in comfort.

Thanks
    piperjim
    This is from the original post. The requirements are:

1. Inexpensive
    2. Provide protection
    3. Comfortable

Here is what I ride with that may fit the requirements:

http://www.amazon.com/TCX-Jupiter-XC.../dp/B000IMFMQW

I'm not certain that the original poster will find them acceptable as "Inexpensive," but they do measure up to the other requirements.

As other posters have suggested, "ride with your motorcycle boots and then change into another pair of shoes for walking." I take a pair of running shoes with me on trips, so I can have some comfortable shoes for walking around the motel room/lobby and for walking acroos the street to a restaurant.
    Last edited by fastdogs2; 08-12-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: mispelled word
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

dstuckmann
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanbeamr View Post
    I bought a pair of very high dollar BMW touring boots to go with my R1150RT. They look good, probably offer excellent crash protection, and are great when I get caught in the rain. Unfortunately, boots like this really suck for walking. I mean they would be great if all you want to do is walk from your bike to the beer garden and back but not if you want to stay on your feet for a few hours.
    I found the opposite, but everyones feet are different. The old BMW Contours (?) I bought 5 plus years ago, from day 1, were the most comfortable boots I ever worn in 40 years. The day I got them I walked and stood around for the better part of 8 hours with no issues. They only got more comfortable with age, but I eventually wore the soles off of them.

Why did I get them originally? It was a live and learn experience, and I bought them too late. I waited until AFTER an accident (and a few months in a cast) to get "right" gear. I'm sure the damage to my ankle (from a car bumper) would have had minimal if I had MOTORCYCLE boots on. Don't find out like I did. Get the right tool for the job!

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    Learn to double knot your laces and you'll never have this problem again (unless you're one of those REALLY unlucky people that also gets struck by lightning on a regular basis).
    I don't get struck by lightning, but I do double knot lace shoes. There's still a loop on the lace. The loop can still get hung up on foot pegs. BTDT. Another down side of of lace boot have to do with boots that have eyelet hooks and riders too lazy to lift their foot all the way up to clear the saddle. I believe I had 20 miles on my brand new '99 K12LT when I put a small rip in the saddle with one of the boot eyelet hooks.

The last 8 years or so I've used motorcycle boots -- Daytona Roadstar GTX -- which are also great for walking. They are not, however, cheap.

XTrooper
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    The loop can still get hung up on foot pegs. BTDT.
    I suppose if you're careless or unlucky enough anything can happen, but in 40+ years of riding, I have not BTDT.

BTW, when double-knotted, the loops of the boot laces on my Doc Martens are no more than an 1" in length and are well under my pant legs. The chance of them hanging up on anything is nil.

Quote Originally Posted by dstuckmann View Post
    I found the opposite, but everyones feet are different. The old BMW Contours (?) I bought 5 plus years ago, from day 1, were the most comfortable boots I ever worn in 40 years. The day I got them I walked and stood around for the better part of 8 hours with no issues. They only got more comfortable with age, but I eventually wore the soles off of them.
    That was my experience with the Contours, too. My only issue with them was slight lack of retention around the ankles. They could have used a strap of some kind (preferably a buckle rather than velcro) to snug up the fit. The current BMW touring boots that replaced the Contours have a velcro strap that does just that:

But, in my never-ending quest for the perfect boot, I ordered a pair of Combat Lites, which has a buckle around the ankle for better retention and fit, plus the fact that I can finally resole a pair of motorcycle boots. Plus, they don't have Gore-tex, which I no longer trust. Everything I've read says that an annual treatment of leather treatment and Sno-Seal keeps the water out. And, they look plain enough to wear with jeans and not look like a Ninja/Power Ranger. If they fit well I think they'll meet my expectations.

Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I wear a Justin 8" lace-up. It is made in the USA which means it comes in American sizes. Excellent boot for riding.

http://www.justinboots.com/boots/all...424fccf8=65096

Easy :German

All-Purpose Boots

Thanks to all for the good advice and suggestions! This forum provides a great service to all of us and I'm happy to benefit from your individual experiences, once again!

I'll order a few pair and give them a try. I'm thinking the Chippewa Rallys, the Jupiters, and Red Wings could fit my requirements. I'll order a pair of each and see which I like best. Zappos.com offers free shipping, both ways, so it's hard to lose on a deal like that!!

Thanks again!

piperjim
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

5.11 boots

Try these, I use "motorcycle boots" or sometimes these, protection riding and you can walk around in them
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

Talking

Take a look at Dr. (Doc) Marten boots. They have a lot of choices, laced and slip-on, and they're one of the most comfortable boots on the planet for walking around with when you're off your bike.

I second the motion for Doc Martens......and their thicker sole helps out with those who are vertically challenged

Alico, old-school, Italian hiking boots. I've used them for years. They were even tested when I ran over a blown tire tread at speed and it slapped my foot and sprained my ankle. By the end of the day, no pain, no limp. If I'd been wearing a lesser boot, something would have gotten broken.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...allwords=alico

Steve
    I own those (and even got them from Sierra Trading Post) but I'd think they'd be horrible for motorcycling. It would be very, very difficult to get your toe under the shifter on many bikes.

Russell Imperial Riders (Lace Ups)

These aint cheap ($450.00) but they look good and certainly meet the all around requirement. They're custom made and can be had with a shift pad over the toe is one desires.

I thought about these and may buy a pair yet. My present boots are Sidi On Roads which are the best I've had so far.

I had this same issue last year when looking for bike boots. Out of frustration, I finally went with a tall set of Doc Martens. I like them in terms of cost, appearance, perceived abrasion resistance, and excellent comfort on and off of the bike, but...

I had a (dumb) minor tip-over this summer in which my left foot was partially caught under the bike (not lace related). My foot was hyper extended resulting in a foot & ankle sprain Not the end of the world, but this occurred at parking lot speed (less than 5 mph). Interestingly, the boot nearly ground thru in one spot in a very short distance (the leather is thin, which makes them light and flexible). My thinking is that they are better than sneakers- but probably not as good as a set of good quality work boots with stiffer soles and thicker leather for on-bike protection.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

roughwaterjohn
    I use Ariat?« Men's Alloy H2O, and love them. Very comfortable, great protection and work well on and off the bike. Not a gucci decorated motorcycle boot, so not for everyone, but I'm glad i got them.

http://ariat.com/products_detail.asp...scid=0&pid=820

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I own those (and even got them from Sierra Trading Post) but I'd think they'd be horrible for motorcycling. It would be very, very difficult to get your toe under the shifter on many bikes.
    No problem here. But you could change the lacing pattern over the ankle to allow more more flexibility.