Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 28th Annual Green Mountain Rally / Vermont

Well, I just got an email from the Waybury Inn in Middlebury, and all is well for our accommodations, as well as the approach from the New York side. I'm sure there will be some road construction/reconstruction to deal with in some way. Hopefully the next few days will get some more of the roads passable and we will be able to see at least a small part of what sounds like a great destination state for motorcycle riding. I'm sure the people living there and having to deal with the aftermath of the storm are hoping for a return to some kind of normal as well.
    Ross
    K1200LT (99), DL650A (08), XJ650RJ (82)

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel View Post
    Four more days to pre-register - then the price goes up.
    The SMARTrainer is coming
    Lots of good food
    Fresh apples
    Snake Mountain Bluegrass Band
    Special rally pin
    Special T-shirts (pre-order only http://www.vtbmwmov.org/rally
    Link good for pre-registering and for ordering t-shirts.

See you there!
    Muriel
    Darn Muriel, wish I could make it. Say hi to all.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges"!

1983 R100RT (and broke my leg)
    1996 K1100RS-SE

Getting my bike ready right now. Hope the roads are open soon. I need a good rally.

Work Day Saturday

For those of you who wish to and are able, we are planning on having a work day on Saturday to help flood victims. More on this later.

Yes, Moondog, I'll send your greetings :-)

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin
    Running on One Cylinder - except when running on two

Quote Originally Posted by 66113 View Post
    Getting my bike ready right now. Hope the roads are open soon. I need a good rally.
    I see you are headed up/over from Grove City, which route are you taking? Looking at the 511 NY and VT web sites, there are a number of roads closed still (though we have 3 1/2 days yet). We were planning to cross into NY past Carbondale, PA, then up NY Rt 30, but at this point might take NY Rt 10 to avoid delays/closures. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

I'm hoping to come in via I89 and when we get close, stop and ask for some local knowledge input as to how to get to the CG.

Hopefully there'll be some route that gets us there. With Rte 73 closed or designated emergency vehicles only, is there another route that gets us to the CG?
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

DZIMBRIC

Tour de Nor'east 2011

Leaving SW Michigan thursday after work and have the follwoing detailed plans for my 10 day trip.
    Ride M22 (Trail of Trees)
    Cross Big mac friday around lunchtime
    Enter canada and turn right.

Want to make the rally that weekend, maybe saturday but I'm not in a hurry, crossing back into the US at Alexandria Bay, NY. Riding my 2005 GS , Any route recomendations?

Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    I'm hoping to come in via I89 and when we get close, stop and ask for some local knowledge input as to how to get to the CG.

Hopefully there'll be some route that gets us there. With Rte 73 closed or designated emergency vehicles only, is there another route that gets us to the CG?
    We'll be heading north on NY 10 (had planned on NY 30, but too many problems), then east on NY 8, then NY 9N into VT, and hope to stay just north of 73, then south to CG. The roads I'm looking at may not be open either, as they are county roads so don't show up on the state 511VT road closures. Friday might turn into a long day............

I've changed the route plan half a dozen times already as road conditions change, hope to see more roads open prior to our departure Friday morning, but think I found a passable route.

Very hopeful that it stops raining soon, for the sake of a fun/safe rally, but more importantly for the poor souls who live near creeks up there. Not to mention the already depleted state budgets that now have tens of millions of dollars of road/bridge repairs to deal with.
    john1691
    2006 KTM 950 Super Moto

Quote Originally Posted by john1691 View Post
    I see you are headed up/over from Grove City, which route are you taking? Looking at the 511 NY and VT web sites, there are a number of roads closed still (though we have 3 1/2 days yet). We were planning to cross into NY past Carbondale, PA, then up NY Rt 30, but at this point might take NY Rt 10 to avoid delays/closures. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Riding to Wellsboro, Pa. Wensday night and up into the Adarondacks Thursday. Rt 10 and 8 are both nice, then catch the ferry over the lake at Ticondaroga. Hope to see you there. Enjoy the ride.

We are planning on staying in Middlebury, but the roads to the campground access road still shows as closed or emergency vehicles only. Is there any kind of contact number which could be used for local information once we arrive?
    Ross
    K1200LT (99), DL650A (08), XJ650RJ (82)

73 Is Open From Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by rmcclure View Post
    We are planning on staying in Middlebury, but the roads to the campground access road still shows as closed or emergency vehicles only. Is there any kind of contact number which could be used for local information once we arrive?
    I called the campground and asked if 73 was open and they answered yes it is open from Brandon to the West but not Rochester to the East.
    Kevin Wilkinson
    1995 Honda PC800, my wannabe Rat bike.

According to this map
    http://crisislanding.appspot.com/?cr...ooding_vermont

Rte 73 is now open all the way across. That is definitely good news
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

No, RT 73 is shown as closed in Rochester where it joins RT 100. See the next post.

Muriel
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin

Directions to Camp Thorpe

The Vermont Challenge - You CAN get heah from theyah!

From the North:
    Roads open from the north include RTs 116 and 7
    Take RT 53 around Lake Dunmore to RT 73 and then to the camp

From the South
    Take RT 7 north from Rutland into Brandon
    You can take a right onto Country Club Road OR High Street to RT 73 (shortcuts)
    OR you can take RT 7 to RT 73 and then to the camp

From the West
    Take RT 4 into Vermont to RT4/RT 7; continue on RT 7 north through Rutland into Brandon
    You can take a right onto Country Club Road OR High Street to RT 73 (shortcuts)

From the Southeast
    From I-91 take RT 103 in Bellows Falls to RT 7 south of Rutland; there will be a small detour as you near RT 7.
    Take RT 7 north through Rutland and continue north into Brandon. You can take a right onto Country Club Road OR High Street to RT 73 (shortcuts)

From the Northeast
    From I-91 take RT 11 through Springfield to RT 103 in Chester (r) to RT 7 south of Rutland; there will be a small detour as you near RT 7. Take RT 7 north through Rutland and north into Brandon. You can take a right onto Country Club Road OR High Street to RT 73 (shortcuts) OR you can take RT 7 to RT 73 and then to the camp
    For those who know the area, you can take the Ascutney exit off of I-91, go west on 131 (around the road closed sign) to Weathersfield Center Rd (left) to Springfield (watch your speed in Springfield), and pick up 11 W to 106 (just past Mobil Station) to RT 10 (a flooding sign may still be there, but the road is clear) to RT 103 west to RT 7.
    Take RT 7 north through Rutland into Brandon. You can take a right onto Country Club Road OR High Street to RT 73 (shortcuts) OR you can take RT 7 to RT 73 and then to the camp

The latest road closings can be found here: http://www.aot.state.vt.us/Documents...10906_1631.pdf
    BMW MOA Secretary
    '07 F650 '12 F650 twin

Thanks Muriel ...

... for the written!

See you Friday!
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III