Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak, just got to find where.

Oil leak, just got to find where.

I got home a couple of weeks ago, from a 1000 ride. Rain and bad back has kept me from riding. Not one issue except the rain for the first two days. Today, I figured it was a day for a ride. I going to guess is oil cooler gasket. Sam ran great on the trip to vintage day at AMA, and in southern Ohio. Checked oil on fillups and all was good. Never see any oil before on floor.

I started Sam (84 R100RT), I did not notice anything strange. Second stop sign I smelled oil. Right side I see oil on the exhaust. No oil light on. I just drove home and parked it. I will look later to see If I can determine where the leak is, when I can bend.

Life sucks, unless you ride

Today just sucks.
    Last edited by insertdisk; 08-01-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Ok So..

Throw something on the garage floor to lay on and if your as old as me get a good strong light and start looking. Just did the rear main, and oil pump door on my '84r100rt along with the tranny seals, before going to Redmond for the rally. If your not hooked up with a Airhead group, find one. The brothers and sisters have tons of knoledge and love to help.
    Bob Coleman
    AKAM
    Fukengruver add umlaut
    '84 R100rt, '88 R100gs

Oil leaks can be tricky... I have one bike that is completly dry and another that has some leaks... What I did is clean everything up real good and dried it all off. Then I have been riding and laying under the bike after a good run (easy for me since I ride about 100 miles a day). I lay back underneath the bike with a good flashlight and look for oil residue... look for a wet spot. One drop off oil can make it look like you have a major leak. You probably also want to smell the oil before cleaning it up to determine weather it is engine oil or transmission oil. You may also want to check your oil levels... maybe the bike is using some...

I have found the following oil leaks, but none dropping on the ground: 3 push rod seals are seeping oil, I have an oil cooler line seeping oil; I also have a shifter seal that is leaking and that one is dripping on the ground. I already have the seal on order and once it comes in, I will replace it... with the other ones... well, as long as it does not drip on the ground it is okay... at some point the push rod seals will be replaced...

It may not be as bad as you think... have you ridden through any new construction lately??? You may have picked up left over oil residue too...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Found---Oil cooler

I finally got around to looking for leak, it is coming for oil filter head. Leaks at the top by the screw. Wonder if there is a gasket installed? I did not change the oil only have about 1000 miles since change. I think it was leaking all along, but just so little it did not matter too me until now.
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

If it's not that bad, I'd wait 'til the next oil change.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

You probably won't lose mch oil by taking the filter cover off, especially if on side stand.
    '73 R75/5
    Never had a bad day skiing!

Beware of just installing a gasket under the cover -- the extra thickness may be enough to allow oil to bypass the white o-ring and go straight to the sump, depriving the main bearings of oil pressure. Better to find the reason for the leakage and fix it in this case. Search on the $2000 O-ring, and you'll get volumes explaining the issue.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Too bad to ride

I guess that is what I get for the dealer doing a change, never again with local dealer
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

I change my oil and never use the gasket. On my 95 R100RT (sold like an idiot), I once kinked the $2,000 oil ring. Not enough to cause any damage, but enough to leak around the cover. I found this after a 100 mile ride and noticed a few drops on the floor.

I replace it and never had any more leaks or damage from it. I would drop the cover and see if the white oil ring is installed right. You will only lose a few ounces of oil.

Be sure and research this as Mark suggested...the use of gasket is only required in certain situations. Use it wrongly and you may compromise the oil pressure. It requires measurement of the depth of the canister. If the measurements say you don't need a gasket and it leaks, then you've got some other problem.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Be sure and research this as Mark suggested...the use of gasket is only required in certain situations. Use it wrongly and you may compromise the oil pressure. It requires measurement of the depth of the canister. If the measurements say you don't need a gasket and it leaks, then you've got some other problem.

http://largiader.com/tech/filters/
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

It must be catching - my R65LS just developed an oil leak coming back from the RA rally - it appears that it is the oil pressure switch - not a hard thing to fix, but a nuisance nonetheless. And yes, a little bit of oil will smear a long way along the side of the engine and frame at 70 MPH..
    BMWs in my garage: 1982 R65LS, 1978 R100/7

Gasket

I found the issue. Gasket, I have not been installing this gasket when I do change.
    I had 'Sam' in for a head bearing, front tire replacement, while there I said change oil. I should not of said that but having a 150 dogs (rescue), I justified as would work on something else instead of oil change.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Smile Torn gasket

I think the mech---no the guy installing filter torn the gasket, it did not leak when he check it perhaps, but with riding, it was just a matter of time. Just a little clean up of the oil and 'Sam' will be ready for a ride today. I guess I just going to have to retire so I can do the work myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by insertdisk View Post
    I think the mech---no the guy installing filter torn the gasket, it did not leak when he check it perhaps, but with riding, it was just a matter of time. Just a little clean up of the oil and 'Sam' will be ready for a ride today. I guess I just going to have to retire so I can do the work myself.
    The big question is whether you *need* the gasket - you should measure the depth of your filter canister to make sure the added thickness of the gasket is preventing the white o-ring from being preloaded enough.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA