Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Lost Saddlebag In Maine

Great news Bob. I also will be putting contact imformation inside all my cases. Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    This is great news, you gotta write this up for the ON!
    Sounds like a good idea. A few different ways to come at it while providing some practical ideas for securing cases and methods of repatriating those cases that go missing. Will give it some more concentrated thought. Ted, Paul and others have suggested some ideas so if anyone else has strategies for both securing bags and/or identifying the owner of wayward cases then PM me. hmmm.... think that I will start another thread whereby ideas/strategies can be posted. In the meantime I'll start slapping some words around for that little writeup. Thanks for the idea Gail. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I would do as Ted said. Someplace not visible while riding, like on the bottom of the case, or the side that's next to the bike just write your cell phone number and "reward". Do Not write : "If found return to [address]" ! For a reason that should be obvious!

took your remarks over to http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48430 Thanks!
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Recovery: Short Version

.... so my brother in Portland meets up with the side case finder, who actually lives in Limington, Maine ( near Cornish), and gets the case. My brother leaves it over at my parents' place in Portland until I can figure a way to get it up here to Nova Scotia.

Two weeks ago I was invited to video tape a moose hunt up in Cape Breton so I go up into the hills for a little bog based adventure. The guide is from Larry's River (shameless plug: base camp for the Salty Fog Riders Rally) and he mentions that once back home he and his wife are heading to Portland, Maine for a little shopping. huh? Well yes he'll pick up the bag. .... and he did. All contents in excellent condition and the locks are in fine shape even though the finder was able to get them open. A few expected scratches but that's it. Amazing eh? AND.... I now have my Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia shirt back!

Whole adventure is a great human interest story as well as a tale emphasizing the labeling and additional securing of luggage. I will try writing down the beginning to end particulars. Maybe something for the ON I suppose. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Great to hear this has come to a happy ending!
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

That's what a big part of this should be about.
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Great outcome When do I get my beer?
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Glad to have been of assistance!...........
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

Great story!

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Glad to have been of assistance!...........
    assistance? You, Donna at Whitehorse and Greg (the finder) in Limington were critical players in getting it all connected and then I could just arrange the logistics for repatriation. Thanks very much for your efforts! So, Beer Tent.... Penn.... 2011 ok - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Great outcome When do I get my beer?
    BMWMOA International 2011.... Penn..... Beer Tent...Thursday at 7pm ..... I'm the guy with the Cherry Garcia shirt. See you there - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    That's what a big part of this should be about.
    I think that the "should" does exist but it clearly also could and maybe we don't hear enough of the good stories that exist. I think that the will and means are alive and well but maybe not everyone has the tools/knowledge/tenacity to go hunting for such wayward articles. We have been very fortunate to have had such stellar performers on our side throughout this search. The news was spread far and wide through members attached to other forums and groups. Some folks even went riding just to see if they could 'find Waldo'. An honest and concerned non-riding citizen of the beautiful state of Maine drew upon any resource that he could and a local HD rider steered him to Whitehorse, etc. What a wonderful example of the possible! Anyway, we're very happy and now have a fine little story that may assist others in the future. Now, to get the story on paper eh? - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Bob,

If you could write this up for ON I think it would be great. With all the bad news in the world this example of cooperation and generous help from people would be a pleasure to read. Please do it.

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    Bob,

If you could write this up for ON I think it would be great. With all the bad news in the world this example of cooperation and generous help from people would be a pleasure to read. Please do it.
    thanks for the encouraging note. Gail suggested it early on as well and I started thinking about it as 'human interest' mingled with networking opportunities and technical points on preventive practices (such as Ted and others have pointed out). Lots of material to work with. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com