Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HELP: Lost Saddlebag In Maine

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I think I'm going to tape a business card to the inside of my cases now...
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Don't give up hope. I just think that somehow this will turn out OK for you and that you will get it all back.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Check your PMs
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    I think I'm going to tape a business card to the inside of my cases now...
    Great idea Gail... thats something I'm going to do. Great to meet you at the Rally. Kenny...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Great idea Gail... thats something I'm going to do. Great to meet you at the Rally. Kenny...
    Dang, at this rate if it is not found then it has literally vanished! Very kind efforts indeed! Thanks Kenny. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Don't give up hope. I just think that somehow this will turn out OK for you and that you will get it all back.
    Thanks for the hope! We have sincerely appreciated the response to our little misadventure. Thank for the thoughts. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Whitehorse Gear may have the bag ?????

If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

I now have the email of the person in Cornish, Maine who (I hope) has our left side case. Donna at Whitehorse was extremely helpful in all of this. The help of so many people is so appreciated. Sounds like 'thank you beers' are in order in Penn next July eh? - Bob

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Hmmmm............

Don't ask me how I know these things, I just do.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

Hmmmm............

Don't ask me how I know these things, I just do.
    truly amazing! .... but it ain't over until it's over So much help to make it so though. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

And now you know.....

....... THE REST OF THE STORY

I just got off the phone with a gentleman from Cornish, Maine. He found our sidecase on the side of the road near his house. It sat for a couple of days until he decided to check out just what this was. Took it home and pried the locks enough to open. No ID. Not sure just what steps to take next, he posts on Craig's List as lost item. Nothing.

He then talks with a local HD rider who suggests contacting Whitehorse in NH. He speaks with Donna and she contacts Roy (Yankee Beemers President) and he posts over here http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48406 I call Donna and get the finder's email. We have now confirmed that it is our case.

All of this successful outcome speaks volumns about how a network can ultimately work. Gail (sheridesabeemer) jumps right in and posts the loss wherever possible; Bud (sibud) provides near mystical insights and support; Irene (iRene) is the Maine connection; Roy (rbertalotto) carries the message from Whitehorse and makes the pivotal connection; Chris (statdawg), through PMs, is a logistical wizard for coming up with a broad range of options for retrieving the case; Donna at Whitehorse for taking the time and effort to forward the info in the most expedient way;and, thanks to the many others who assisted. Every negative has a positive and there are many in this 'Lost 'n' Found' story. Now we are all going to be sure that we ID cases on the outside and make sure that bag security has a 'back up plan'...... just in case.

Turns out that the finder works in South Portland, my parents and siblings live in Portland, and, my brother works just around the corner from the finder. So, we will coordinate a pick-up and I'll figure a way to get the bag up here some time by next Spring.

Thank you all! - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

A great story! Restores your faith in people.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ....... THE REST OF THE STORY

I just got off the phone with a gentleman from Cornish, Maine. He found our sidecase on the side of the road near his house. It sat for a couple of days until he decided to check out just what this was. Took it home and pried the locks enough to open. No ID. Not sure just what steps to take next, he posts on Craig's List as lost item. Nothing.

He then talks with a local HD rider who suggests contacting Whitehorse in NH. He speaks with Donna and she contacts Roy (Yankee Beemers President) and he posts over here http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48406 I call Donna and get the finder's email. We have now confirmed that it is our case.

All of this successful outcome speaks volumns about how a network can ultimately work. Gail (sheridesabeemer) jumps right in and posts the loss wherever possible; Bud (sibud) provides near mystical insights and support; Irene (iRene) is the Maine connection; Roy (rbertalotto) carries the message from Whitehorse and makes the pivotal connection; Chris (statdawg), through PMs, is a logistical wizard for coming up with a broad range of options for retrieving the case; Donna at Whitehorse for taking the time and effort to forward the info in the most expedient way;and, thanks to the many others who assisted. Every negative has a positive and there are many in this 'Lost 'n' Found' story. Now we are all going to be sure that we ID cases on the outside and make sure that bag security has a 'back up plan'...... just in case.

Turns out that the finder works in South Portland, my parents and siblings live in Portland, and, my brother works just around the corner from the finder. So, we will coordinate a pick-up and I'll figure a way to get the bag up here some time by next Spring.

Thank you all! - Bob

Well, It doesn't get much better than this. It's great when people are looking out for each other . I'm going to move the other half of the story http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48406 out of Ride Reports here to Regional Northeast so everyone can enjoy the great ending in one spot. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Awesome!

I'd now recommend stopping at a Hallmark or other stationary store and picking up a paint pen (the kind you use to sign photographs) - they come in white, gold or silver, and putting your phone number on the outside inner portion that is hidden when the bag is on the bike but quite visible should it fall off again If you don't want to mark up the bag, you can also write it on a slip of paper and use clear packing tape to affix it to the bag in the same location.

I used the tape method and mine says, "If Found Please Call 703-XXX-XXXX, Reward for Return." I also put them inside the battery covers and RT fairing pocket covers - both of which rarely fall off but are expensive to replace. Here is something I put together about losing things when touring.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    This is great news, you gotta write this up for the ON!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT