Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP: Lost Saddlebag In Maine

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

HELP: Lost Saddlebag In Maine

Sad but true. My left saddlebag dismounted somewhere between Cornish, Maine-route 25- and Brooks, Maine (near Belfast). Some of 25 was like the dry heaves every four feet while the area near Belfast had a number of very rough back roads. Lost my Nikkon and some sentimental T Shirts. Maybe someone has seen it or heard about someone finding one. Mine looked like the following right side buddy:

Likely I will have to just forget about it and get a new-to-me left bag. However, I will give y'all a shout first. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

a hopeful bump.....
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

RK Ryder
    Bob, I fear that some day I may have the same thing happen to me. However, if it does, I do have taped on the bags' outside, on the wheel side of each, a note (protected by packing tape) explaining that I am on tour with only camping supplies and dirty laundry inside my locked case, along with my Cdn and American cell #s listed. As well, the bottom of my cases are covered with orange reflective tape in case they (or I) land upside down in a ditch, making them easier to spot. With any luck, I might receive a phone call to come and retrieve the wayward pannier.

Hope that your bag gets back to you.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Bob, I fear that some day I may have the same thing happen to me. However, if it does, I do have taped on the bags' outside, on the wheel side of each, a note (protected by packing tape) explaining that I am on tour with only camping supplies and dirty laundry inside my locked case, along with my Cdn and American cell #s listed. As well, the bottom of my cases are covered with orange reflective tape in case they (or I) land upside down in a ditch, making them easier to spot. With any luck, I might receive a phone call to come and retrieve the wayward pannier.

Hope that your bag gets back to you.
    As usual Paul, some well thought out suggestions. Once I get all set up again I will be doing the same! Now, where are those old leather cruiser bags that I packed away somewhere - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Bob I posted this link in the Maine Rider's thread on ADV. Hope you get a lead.
    Lost your camera?
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post
    Bob I posted this link in the Maine Rider's thread on ADV. Hope you get a lead.
    Lost your camera?
    thanks Gail....much appreciated! Camera: one of three but it was the most expensive one.... sigh. Oh well, it's just stuff and we made it back from the RA safe and somewhat sound. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    There's always hope, Bob.

Lost and Found
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Bob, sorry to hear of your loss. hopefully it will turn up. A friend of mine lost his wallet at the Rally while riding some of the surrounding roads. it was found by another BMW rider and returned within 20 minutes. what luck! it was great to finally meet you. too bad we were both so busy and couldn't spend more time together. oh well there will be other Rallys. Oh and how do you lose a saddle bag without knowing it???
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    There's always hope, Bob.

Lost and Found
    agree; remember Steve's amazing recovery story from the first Salty Fog Rally? He got his side case back because it was picked up by another traveller (car) who noticed his missing sidecase while they were both at the same tourist attraction (Peggy's Cove). He had it in his trunk. Amazing yet very uncommon. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Something I wrote a few weeks ago that unfortunately will not help here but might help others in case this happens...
    http://www.verrill.com/moto/rants/2010/100722rant.shtml
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Something I wrote a few weeks ago that unfortunately will not help here but might help others in case this happens...
    http://www.verrill.com/moto/rants/2010/100722rant.shtml
    All the points in that article are excellent. It's funny though, in 2007 we took off on an 11,000 mile around the U.S. and I strapped the bags on. Except for that little stint around Oklahoma City, the roads were not all that bad. Oh well, lesson learned and future travels will have more thought put into security. Thanks Ted. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

http://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-42-.../dp/B002L0OEJU
    Older bikes & parts need to be checked more often - I learned the hard way as well - but mine was only a latch undone - often people load in ALOT more then they should weight wise as well - Strap - closed & to the mount frame all ways worked for me. I've seen safety belts used as well - good luck and ride with people as well.
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

Bob, Have you called the police/sheriff departments in the area you lost it? They may have it. Also the Dept of Transportation may have picked it up.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Bob, Have you called the police/sheriff departments in the area you lost it? They may have it. Also the Dept of Transportation may have picked it up.
    Thanks for the suggestion. police/sheriff offices contacted but not DoT. Hope one of those roadside grasscutters doesn't find it first though Once my now missing Salty Fog Rally t-shirt hits that shredder....... my Ben and Jerry's irreplacable Cherry Garcia shirt...... my Route 50 t-shirt.... I really am more sentimental than materialistic. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    Bob, sorry to hear of your loss. hopefully it will turn up. A friend of mine lost his wallet at the Rally while riding some of the surrounding roads. it was found by another BMW rider and returned within 20 minutes. what luck! it was great to finally meet you. too bad we were both so busy and couldn't spend more time together. oh well there will be other Rallys. Oh and how do you lose a saddle bag without knowing it???
    ok then.... moa rally 2011 for sure! Loosing the case: funny how that thing can sneak off without any sound. Must be when all the sounds of thumping across bad pavement covers the 'thud'. What's really more peculiar is not noticing it when gasing up unless you are intentionally scanning all parts. Should do that anyway I suppose..... I will in the future! Catch ya in the future. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com