Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Our Oregon Washington trip

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    We did come in the east side on a Nf-99 which took us near Spirit Lake. This came off Nf-25. I'm guessing this must be the windy Ridge observation point ? Those are people walking up and down that hill on that wooden planked path.
    your images are coming up busted, but there was quite a set of stairs up to Windy Ridge. (huff.... puff....)

what got me mad was that there was no way to get a stamp for my National Park Passport at the east side, I had to go all the way around and there wasn't time.

nf25 is the north/south road on the east side... nf99 is the way into the observation point.

this is on 25...

and this was the road surface (turnout, actually) from where the shot was taken. you can see the grade subsiding in the roadway though. these roads were rough, perfect for the GS.

You wouldn't get a stamp on the west side, either. The monument is NFS property. There's fairly regular discussion locally about the NPS taking it over as it has marginally better funding, but there is a whole host of issues to consider in going from one land manager to another.

durangodoc
    Ok we had no idea what this rock thing was in NM though pretty cool. Anyone know?

It looks like Shiprock to me. Just south of Shiprock, New Mexico on Highway 491?

Excellent report Randy, and great pics!

Thanks for sharing.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by durangodoc View Post
    Ok we had no idea what this rock thing was in NM though pretty cool. Anyone know?

It looks like Shiprock to me. Just south of Shiprock, New Mexico on Highway 491?
    Bingo! Just looked on the map and yes we indeed crossed Hwy 491 when heading west on Hwy 64 out of Farmington. Never saw a sign for the town of Shiprock though I just Googled it and it turns out to be the remains of a 40 million year old volcanic plume. Also sacred ground to the Navajos. I once again learned something here. Thanks for solving the mystery.

durangodoc
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Bingo! Just looked on the map and yes we indeed crossed Hwy 491 when heading west on Hwy 64 out of Farmington. Never saw a sign for the town of Shiprock though I just Googled it and it turns out to be the remains of a 40 million year old volcanic plume. Also sacred ground to the Navajos. I once again learned something here. Thanks for solving the mystery.
    If you can dig up a 20 year old Phoenix Rock climbing guide from a used book store there are actually routes up it. Of course, if they catch you they take all your gear and you get to spend the night in the reservation lockup. The reward is probably not worth the risk.

Where does this road go?? Gottago's Avatar
    great report and pictures. Have traveled most of the roads in your report and it brought back fond memories of our trips. Thanks so much for sharing.
    "If they are running you out of town
    get in front of the crowd and make it
    look like a parade!"

RTRandy's buddy

Question message to RTRandy

has anybody heard from RTRandy lately?
    RTRandy's friend

He was posting about K1200RS mirrors as recently as January 28.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."