Thread: Delaware Water Gap?

Delaware Water Gap?

Hi Folks,

Heading to the RA Rally tomorrow from DC and taking the long way I have two routes in mind, one from Bloomsburg (want to stop and see the '11 rally site) up to Wellsboro where I would stay at one of my favorite places, the Penn-Wells. From there, over to the Catskills to Rt. 22 north to the rally site. The other is to head east to Shroudsburg (stay overnight somewhere) and come up to Liberty at the foot of the Catskills where I would join up with the Wellsboro route.

Big question in ... is the Delaware Water Gap and surrounding area worth the ride? I am a big fan of old towns and old roads with interesting things to see - but not traffic, invasion of big-box stores, etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated, I hope to leave 5am tomorrow and be at the rally site Wednesday evening.

Route 1:
    http://tinyurl.com/2d5amvv

Route 2:
    http://tinyurl.com/2bfo3tu

Ted
    Last edited by Ted; 07-27-2010 at 12:04 AM.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    209 has its moments, good and bad. Between East Stroudsburg and Milford is nice.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    If you want twisty stuff, off the beaten path, try the mods I made between Harrisburg and Wellsboro. Some nice stuff in there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...75,7.13562&z=8

Thanks for the replies - I just called the Penn-Wells and for the first time in it must be 10 times now I have stayed there, they are completely booked tomorrow night. Guess it makes the decision easier

Looks like I will grab a discount book at a rest stop and stay at one of the chain hotels near Stroudsburg (those discount books are awesome, often 40% or more off!)

Ted
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Ted, even tho they are booked, you may still want to consider that route. There are plenty of other mom and pop motels in the area. While 209 and Delaware Water Gap can be a nice ride, it's also getting congested. My family used to have a place outside of Marshalls Creek. I was saddened when we came through the area a month ago only to find big box stores, tourist traps, and a century old general store that's been turned in to a biker bar.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Between Marshall's Creek and Milford is still nice, mostly park road. My last trip through was in April and traffic was extremely light on a weekday morning.

North of Milford, forget it. You're better off on I-84.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

If you want a great view of the Catskills, from Hancock NY, instead of taking 17 down to Liberty and up 47 (great road, don't get me wrong) take 30 at East Branch up and around the Pepacton Reservoir to Margaretville, from there take 28 to Phoenicia.

FYI: see Statdawgs reply to my thread in ride reports and an included GPS route/personal comments on the Delaware Gap.

I used StatDawg's recommendation with a few tweaks:
    http://tinyurl.com/357x7sw

Leaving in the am if I can hopefully get up early enough to beat DC rush hour!
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

ridgerunner

Catskills Lodging

Hey Ted - The Swiss Chalet (not the chain one) in Tannersville NY was great. If you go be sure to eat in their restaurant - authentic bavarian chow, so good! Safe trip.

If you want twisty stuff, off the beaten path, try the mods I made between Harrisburg and Wellsboro. Some nice stuff in there.

I ride to Wellsboro often. Here's an even better route:

Peter_Krynicki
    If you happen to ride up to the gap on Rte 46, stop at Johnnies for a hot dog...

http://www.hotdogjohnnys.com/history.htm

Thanks for the replies and suggestions folks! It really is one of my favorite areas of the east coast.

Years ago when I was beemerless I made the trip up in my bimmer and found this awesome road in the space between Renovo and Wellsboro:

I think it is 414 but I am not sure - if I recall correctly there is a rail beside it for a bit. Sure would like to find it again, was a neat road.

Anyone recognize it?
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages