Thread: Riding Alone

Riding Alone

I used to always ride with a partner, but now I ride alone. I will be travelling from Minneapolis to the east coast and thought IÔÇÖd take route 11 through Kapuskising ON, which looks to be very remote.

It occurred to me that I may be safer on the bike than in the car, because I may appear to be tougher than I would as a woman alone in a car. Or am I just trying to justify my desire to take the bike?

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabird View Post
    It occurred to me that I may be safer on the bike than in the car, because I may appear to be tougher than I would as a woman alone in a car. Or am I just trying to justify my desire to take the bike?

- Kate
    No need to "justify" here. Wanting to do it is justification enough
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

I ride alone all the time. I'm 5'2" and 108 lb, so looking tough isn't an option even on a bike. I have never had the slightest problem. Last year I dropped my bike and broke 3 ribs in VA. MOA anonymous members stepped up and helped me get home, plus storing my bike until Medjet brought it back. This year I had both a medical and a family emergency on the way to Redmond. Trust me, Kapuskaping isn't any more remote than Wyoming. I didn't need anonymous help this time but managed on my own. I do carry a SPOT tracker so my friends and family know where I am all the time. A friend from Canada picked up right away that I was staying in one spot too long in the middle of nowhere WY and got in touch with me.

If you want to come further south in ON there is a bed here for you and I'll show you around Hamilton and Niagara Falls.

Holly

PS: your state troopers are very helpful in an emergency and the ER in Rock Springs is very nice.
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

+1 on what Holly said. I ride alone most all the time. Just got back from an 11,000 mile trip to Alaska and Redmond, plus a few side trips. People tend to be quite friendly when I'm out there. Just use common sense and trust your gutt.
    If something doesn't look or feel right, move away from it. And, I tend to ride in daylight only. Not so much for fear but because of deer.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Hmmm.. my brother has a SPOT... our Pop gave it to him to carry in his airboat out in the marsh.. if he has a problem, just mash the button....

Don't know if your route is covered by SPOT...

Jackie

Thumbs up

I think you will have nothing to worry about. I've crossed the U.S. a few times by myself on my RT and never have had a problem. I think there is a lot of curiosity from folks when I stop for gas or meal breaks. Everyone has been nothing but cordial and you meet an awful lot of nice people that way!
    Jackie

'04 piedmont red RT Prrr-T aka Purty
    PDX
    well behaved women rarely make history...
    Blue Knights Oregon I, IBA #16940

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Turns out the bike has a problem that can't be fixed until after I have to leave, so I have to take the car anyway.

Now I remember why I like to have two bikes (only one at the moment, and she's in the hospital ).

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Two bikes are nice.

Three is even better ; )

Safe travels!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Sorry to hear that Kate. When are you leaving and when would you be in Ontario?

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Or someone who would loan ya a bike....

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Touring is a crime of opportunity, and your availability may be greater than your partner/spouse/friends.
    If you want to go, the fact that no one else is available should not stand in your way.

Wear ATGATT, and you'll just be the grubby guy on the bike to the general public.
    There are loads of sites with great tips on sensible travel precautions for businesswomen
    that you can extrapolate to meet your needs. Be alert to situation, plan well.

Then go. Just pack and go.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60