Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: K1600GT and GTL Official Announcement

Talking

If this beast has as many recalls out of the box as some of the new "F" series...
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Honda is going after the BMW K1300S with the VFR1200, BMW is going after the Honda Goldwing with the 6 banger. I wonder which will be the most successful.

I don't know why but Honda has stomped on Goldwing competitors. Yamaha Venture, Suzuki Calvacade, Kawasaki Voyager, history. KLTs didn't dent the market to bad.

With the 6 cylinder GT, is the 4 cylinder GT history?

Ralph Sims

Don't forget your towel
    Random thoughts:

BMW cars have a long and successful history of inline 6 cylinder engines so this is almost a return to their roots. they've been trying to connect the car and bike sides for sometime, remember when the twin "kidney bean" radiator covers first showed up on the K series?

The most potent bike in my garage is a 1991 K100RS, and I find it has more than enough performance to get me in trouble, 1600cc's and the accompanying horsepower increase just boggles my mind. I just don't get it, but then my favorite ride is a R100GSPD....

BMW has made some bold moves recently, I wish them well and fervently hope they don't suffer any more final drive-like issues pop up.
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    ...It's nice to see Hughs Goldwing get a little upgraded competition. It's not going to be for everyone...so what?
    So Hugh, what are your thoughts?

Easy

I think I can add this to the list of cool-bikes-that-I-admire-but-cannot-ever-dream-of-owning. But it's worth a dream.
    The only honest answer to your question is "It depends".

The Goldwings have sold at a substantial discount for several years now. A good deal on an airbag equipped wing is 21K and the bike lists for 27K. My prediction is that BMW will find a slim market for the new 1600 GTL at 30K. This is especially true since the home equity loan is a thing of the past.

I think BMW is right on if they're going after 2 markets (LT and GT) with essentially one motorcycle. This should save cost in the long run, others have successfully used this approach.
    The RT owners may not care for it because it's so complex and heavy, but the LT or GW owners may flock to it because its so light. I just hope BMW can bring this bike to the market w/o too many small glitches and no major issues. They really need to get this bike right.

Gowldwing under list

What has it been 10 years since any updates? The new GT or GTL should sell for more, ti is another technological step or maybe leap over the Goldwing. BMW has to keep innovating, why else pay more for the brand?
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    12 K1600GTL 07 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    The angel eyes look great - just like on the cars.

As for adaptive lighting - I have it on the car and it works great - very impressive to put that technology on a bike.

Looks like a winner - we'll see how it comes of the box

Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

I'm disappointed in my black helicopter pilots in CA...ya missed this?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...ot/#more-11700

Not the best stealth shot at the gas pump...but one is out there!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    I can't wait until April 2011 to get the full picture. It'll be interesting to test ride and read the reviews to learn how BMW deals with the additional weight, heat, transmission, final drive and cost issues. Depending on the approach it could be a big step forward or a big one back.

They'll have to keep the base price near the Goldwing's base of $22,899.00 to seriously compete.

The times are definitely changing. I can remember when I thought a 650cc Bonnie was more than enough.

Easy

Issues? Please not yet. Especially leave the final drive be.
    VegasRob

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    Interesting thoughts expressed here…

I for one have no interest in this but then I don’t have much interest in the Honda ST or new Kaw 1400 though I might have had at a younger age… certainly when in my Yut I went after the speed/power bikes like many others so I suppose the new power bikes would be ones I’d go for now (if I was still a Yut!). Back then of course comfort/handling/features were pretty low on the list and not much was even offered...
    I can see why they went this route, bigger motor/more power etc to contend with the other power bikes out there and the sport-touring machines being made by the competitors and certainly its not Just about power/speed but many other factors that make it (and the competition) outstanding machines with much much more to offer than Just power/speed (though that seems to be what many concentrate on)…
    I do have to wonder if these will really do much to bring down the average age of BMW owners though, given its probable cost, the younger set (the 20-30 something crowd) will most likely stay with the liter sports bikes one can get for well under 10K. Perhaps it will lower the average some by bringing in more of the mid-40’s (and up) crowd that have the income and are now looking for more than sheer speed/power and can afford the time to really get into long haul touring and who have been leaning toward the offerings by Honda and Kaw, etc. in the sport touring venue and who also want comfort and safety features as part of the package. but lets face it when you build in this much technology its gonna cost and the cost limits who can afford it, just like luxury. cars or any luxury, its a niche market dominated by older folks who now have the means.
    Still its going to be a really heavy machine just like its competitors with more power/speed than can ever really be used (legally, anyway) but then BIG seems to be the American trend so have at it I guess. I’d be willing to bet they could do everything this bike does in a one liter package and it would just as fun, just as safe, just as smooth, just as comfortable and probably a whole lot cheaper and less expensive to operate/maintain; but then so could all the other makes out there.
    I do have to wonder where it will end (power/speed wise); will we be seeing 2 plus liter machines soon? Will being able to go near 300 MPH be the next the big Rave? Or will the next generation decide its really not about sheer size/power but all the other factors one has to consider when looking at the new top of the line touring machine, the factors that in the end will determine just how popular this machine will be. Hopefully the demographics this bike is geared toward will be able to make that distinction and not merely go for and be attracted to this current generation of sport/tourers for Power&Speed. Maybe even at some point the sport/touring crowd will say "Enough is Enough, I want this but can you drop it by a few hundred pounds and give me greater economy?"

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

No longer a member here
    I have 3 Honda CBXes and a KZ1300. Once you have ridden an inline six, you will be hooked. And the whole is not so much about max hp, which you will not use anyway. It is about the smoooooth delivery of monster torque at roll-on and low end.
    If the GT is anywhere near the weight and dimensions of the current GT, I will be spending some money on a new BMW next year. If it is just a slightly slimmed down GTL ("LT") I will pass.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I think this bike is aimed at the same audience as the 7 series BMW, Mercedes AMG CL series and similar cars. Some people demand the "best", fastest, most expensive, etc. They will never use their vehicles to their potential but they like to know that they could if they wanted to or they might want to brag about what they have. There is a market for the ultimate machine even if it cannot be used to its potential. Fancy and very expensive Harleys were once a status symbol for the "in" crowd but now that everyone and their brother seems to have one, they are not special any longer and a more exclusive replacement is needed.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I think this bike is aimed at the same audience as the 7 series BMW, Mercedes AMG CL series and similar cars. Some people demand the "best", fastest, most expensive, etc. They will never use their vehicles to their potential but they like to know that they could if they wanted to or they might want to brag about what they have. There is a market for the ultimate machine even if it cannot be used to its potential. Fancy and very expensive Harleys were once a status symbol for the "in" crowd but now that everyone and their brother seems to have one, they are not special any longer and a more exclusive replacement is needed.
    You may be right about the target customer, but I would add that there is another group, a group of real riders that wants the creature comforts of a Goldwing, without the weight, something more nimble. That the new GT is a technical tour de force is a given; it has to draw the attention of the target audience, whether it be the Mercedes buyer you mention, or the Goldwing guy who loves the bike, hates the weight. I've no problem with BMW's approach with this bike. Those who might complain that its longer wheelbase means it won't handle as well as other bikes miss the point: GT stands for Grand Touring, a style that eschews some sporting characteristics for comfort, without compromising on power or agility. It's not meant to be an SS1000RR. The best analogy I can think of is my former BMW 635csi, a beautiful car, no sports car, but capable of delivering me and a passenger (and a couple of kids, for that matter) in considerable comfort without destroying the driving experience.

I tried the current GT on for size, and thought it had more power than I'll ever use...therefore the new 6 is even more excessive. But the current GT isn't to my mind really a Grand Touring machine as I'm describing the term. It's perhaps better described as a Grand Sport Touring machine, with the emphasis , and ergos, on Sport. I wouldn't want to ride one across the country without significant modifications for comfort.

I'm personally excited about the new bike. Doubt I'll buy one, my RT suits me and my wife just fine.