Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: K1600GT and GTL Official Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by markgoodrich View Post
    Yep, I walked into the Triumph/Suzuki dealership in 1970 to buy a Triumph after burning up a little Yamaha 250 on my commute, and walked out with a $900 Suzuki 500 cc two stroke twin. My wife and I rode the thing all over the Southwest one summer, camping out, without a single sidecase or topcase or any farkles at all, actually. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything. But that was 40 years ago. Still have a motorcycle, still have the wife, still tour on it with her, but would never consider doing it on something like that Suzuki. My RT is worlds better for comfort, fun, luggage, EVERYTHING, than that great Suzuki was. I personally can't wait to see this new uber-tourer; I may not ever buy one, I may buy one in a few years, I may buy one the instant I see one...I dunno. But what's the point in complaining about this thing? I don't get that at all. You guys who hate the thing sight unseen still driving 1954 Plymouths? Why do you care what others might want?
    I ride not only for the joy of riding, but it also, at one time, provided an economic benefit: better fuel mileage than a car, fairly easy maintenance. The economic benefit is gone, or soon will be. The cost per mile for a bike is now equal or greater than a car. That may not matter to some who have the income for such things but others need to maintain a budget.

Of course, everything costs more, not only motorcycles. There is a price to pay for creature comforts, safety features, etc., whether it is a motorcycle, pickup truck, or any other item. But it is getting harder to find the kind of bike I want when everything is getting so big, so laden with gadgets, and so expensive. Or, it is a sport bike made for someone much younger who can withstand the riding position.

At my age, and with a history of orthopedic problems, long distances are better covered in something with four wheels. I have nothing against anyone who wants one of these gigantic touring bikes. It is your money, spend it as you like. I have a different criteria for what I need and want from a motorcycle and unfortunately my needs put me in a shrinking market. It is not worth it for a manufacturer to build what I want. Maybe I will have to settle for a scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by markgoodrich View Post
    Nein. Smooooth Head.
    Sechskopf = six head.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

For the people who immediately say they don't want/like the bike - I suspect BMW feels you will like the RT, so they're not making this bike to conquer existing BMW riders. BMW's goal has been two-fold: Conquest sales (move bikers from other brands to BMW); Younger bikers (try to move the median age of a BMW buyer somewhere below 50 years old so the buyers are candidates for more then 1 more bike.)

BMW did study their demographics. They made no secret of it (it was discussed at the RA Rally last summer with the head dude of Motorrad.) At the rate the BMW owner population was aging (about 1 year per year) - before long most of the current BMW riders would be too old to buy a new bike. The F650/F800's and S1000RR were the first shots out of the cannon of bikes that appeal to other brand riders, and younger riders. I see the K1600 series as the next round. It's a conquest bike targeted directly at the Goldwing. If they did their homework (and I can't imagine they haven't) - it will do everything better then a Goldwing at a base price near the price of a Goldwing. And it will sell.

Better get used to it - BMW is looking for increasing their market share, not pleasing us old pharts (although the R1200 series bikes do a lot to take care of our segment of the market..) and I see satin jackets and kiwi's on a stick coming to a dealership near you. Be interesting to see the Motorrad take on the satin jacket..

I wish them a lot of luck with this bike - I'd like to see BMW motorcycles around for a while longer.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Another look

From the "Great White North"

http://www.passionperformance.ca/mot...articles/7986/

PS Heard a KZ1300 with a 6 into1 pipe in 1980. I still distictly remember the sound. WONDERFUL!!!
    Gar

I had just received this before checking in here

http://www.tourer-2010-en.com/index/BMW-K-1600-GTL

Oh, and I haven't been here that long,but have been reminded more than once BMW killed their heritage in 1985...how dare they keep on changing things

I still have a few Boxers...and will for some time...but I now also have a few wedge K bikes and can't wait to see this finished product.

It's nice to see Hughs Goldwing get a little upgraded competition. It's not going to be for everyone...so what?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Sechskopf = six head.
    Hmmm. A little too close to scheisskopf, I think.

I don't always agree with Deilenberger, but this time he's right, (i.e. I agree with him) about the BMW demographic. A couple of buddies and I went to the WSBK races at Miller, and bought the BMW swag/meal package. All three of us remarked on the advanced age of the tent full of riders (I'm 61, so chronologically I fit the advanced part; mentally I'm still 27; one of the guys is 56, the other 50), noting the BMW-logo windbreaker swag "gift" was unfortunately the same gray color as most of the heads on the riders wearing them. In contrast, the Ducatisti were mostly much younger-looking, as were the folks poking around the Yamaha and Kawasaki displays. Honda's poor location meant no one was even over there.... And the BMW bike display was more deserted than the Honda display, despite pride of place in the vendor area.

All these new models are exactly as Don says: for conquest sales of people who'd never before considered a BMW.

On another note, I guarantee you my wife will say "Buy that!! Right now!!" the minute she sees armrests. Such a good wife. My knees are praying the new GTL doesn't weigh as much as my old Goldwing.

Nothing is constant, except change.
    Ride Well, Ride Often, Ride to

Charter Member "High Town" crew.

As long they do not have inherent problems in the initial offering (FD) things are looking up for BMW. The faithful have forgiven them for their sins but I'm not so sure the converts will be as forgiving. Would be a shame to read about failures of whatever nature on different boards.

May these new bikes develop a strong and loyal following.

PS: I'm already saving for the day my FD goest south. Yup I'm a follower.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy View Post
    .......They'll have to keep the base price near the Goldwing's base of $22,899.00 to seriously compete.

I think it will be more towards a fully loaded Wing 29-30K

I hate all the teaser videos - cant wait to see this in person or actual not rendered shots.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

K1600GT and Larger Displacement Bikes

I think the trend toward larger displacement motorcycles is mirroring what happened in the auto industry with SUV's. These things grew progressively until folks were convinced that an Explorer, Blazer or Cherokee were not enough. They had to have the Expedition, Surburban and Denali XL. I wondered, much like another poster has said about motorcycles, "At what point do people start asking for School Busses?"

The $4 per gallon gasoline prices sort of cooled that ardor for giant SUV's.

I don't drive one of these vehicles, but there are many people who just can't live without one. If they want these gas guzziling behemoths, more power to them.
    BMW R1200R
    Alpine White

The "School Bus" question has already been answered. Take a look at the RV's on the road today. We have an exceptional number of them in our neighboring province Quebec. When passing 5-10 of them it's like the circus and elephants.

Have a great weekend!
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Smile

I have a CLC and HD Softtail. The boxer is top heavy compared to the HD and I find this to be a common complaint about BMW cruisers. Power and smoothness aside I wonder how the 6 cylinder will feel compared to the R & K series bikes. Previous posters have commented on the steady progression towards larger displacement/more powerful cruisers. The Triumph 2300cc triple, Kawasaki Concours, Victory, Honda Goldwing, etc are just some examples of this trend. As I compare bikes that fit my needs the RT seems to be the best blend of handling, power, brakes, comfort, and fuel economy. We are very fortunate to have so many excellant choices at this time compared to when I started riding in the late 60's. Ride Safe

sexta = sixth

sex head

I wonder how much weight and wheelbase and $ cost would be added if they eventually mated 2 of the sixes into a V-12 configuration. I'd bet the whole thing could be lighter and smaller than some of the HD's and Goldwings on the road now. And the exhaust note could be pretty good too.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.