Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In California all summer, going to San Francisco this weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Think I'm going to Lake Tahoe this weekend with Friday spent in Yosemite..
    The lake has been much less crowded than in years past. A benefit of the recession, I suppose. This is my backyard, and I used to stay away from it between Memorial and Labor day.

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jforgo View Post
    The lake has been much less crowded than in years past. A benefit of the recession, I suppose. This is my backyard, and I used to stay away from it between Memorial and Labor day.
    I'm thinkin' Friday in Yosemite, Saturday messing around up to Lake Tahoe and Sunday riding back. Gotta get a route planned, I suppose.. If you have any suggestions and/or want to meet up; I'm down.

Oh yeah, I did two trips to San Fran. Second one was a 800 mile loop.

advrider.com
    Another 1000 miles down.

Unfortunately, the clouds were hangin' too low and scraped across the mountains, emptying their contents all along my ride; north of Bodie all the way to Lake Tahoe and from Lake Tahoe all the way down past Bishop. Stoimin'/rainin'/frownin'.

There was a (small) rockslide on the road next to Mono Lake.. instead of just driving around it (there was NO on-coming traffic), the lead car in the pack I was approaching slammed on their brakes and stopped completely in the road. At this point, I was ignorant of the rockslide. The road was a river at this point, and I hit my brakes hard, but not that hard.. and there goes the rear end. The back tire wanted to catch up with the front by coming around my left side; here's the wind-up and the pitch.. didn't happen. Right as it caught traction again the bike snapped into a wicked shimmy that I had to dance on top of to control. It was all over in about 1.5 seconds. Thank God for my following distance. I stopped with space to spare. Pulled over at the next gas station where some Harley riders were taking a break and we laughed about the "pucker factor."

Made it home in one piece; to ride again..

advrider.com
    Think I'm going to go to the Pleasanton airhead tech day next weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Think I'm going to go to the Pleasanton airhead tech day next weekend..
    It's a good event. I've been at Dale's for the first three, and I'm planning on attending this years. PM me if you need any directions or need advice on where to get parts if you need to do some maintenance (e.g. oil change, etc.).

P.S. If you haven't hit Marin and Sonoma Counties (North of San Francisco along the coast) yet, you should. There's great roads up there.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

advrider.com
    Well, my riding over the weekend was probably my last for California. One of my brothers came into town last night and is exploring on his own today and tomorrow.

I'm putting my motorcycle and all my junk (computer, cameras, dishes, clothes) in the back of my truck and driving to St. Louis on Saturday. Half-way point is somewhere in New Mexico. New Mexicans (is that what they're called?) out there want to offer my brother and I a floor to sleep on?