Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I nominate Lacrosse, WI!!

Nickname: Droid

I nominate Lacrosse, WI!!

For a future BMW MOA rally I think the city of Lacrosse, WI would be an excellant location. Of course, being on the Ol' Miss helps for the character of the city, but the location, and the roads in any direction of Lacrosse really make it the east Tennessee of the northern Midwest. Coulees and hollers abound nearby, looking like the backroads of Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Some of the small river towns look almost like a trip to the Apallachians.

Its a great college town, full of youthful energy, still fully based in the great history of the ethnic influence of generations. Plus, they make a lot of great beer in Lacrosse. Many restaurants serve great basic foods in the heaping portions common to Wisconsin.

The roads radiating out in a 225 degree sweep from central Lacrosse are the best in Wisconsin for variety, technical riding demands, pure pleasure of sight, smell and sound. Mix in the quiet simple character of the many Amish of the counties around Lacrosse and you feel the centuries of unique difference of our modern rides to their basic one horsepower steeds.

al from chgo burbs lilredroadster's Avatar
    LACrosse is a good choice if they consider it. I have gone to their Oktoberfest many times and the people, scenery and roads can't be beat.
    Just a thought. Maybe after Blooomsburg????
    Al From Chgo Burbs
    BETTERMENT THROUGH BADGERMENT

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    For a future BMW MOA rally I think the city of Lacrosse, WI would be an excellant location. Of course, being on the Ol' Miss helps for the character of the city, but the location, and the roads in any direction of Lacrosse really make it the east Tennessee of the northern Midwest. Coulees and hollers abound nearby, looking like the backroads of Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Some of the small river towns look almost like a trip to the Apallachians.

Its a great college town, full of youthful energy, still fully based in the great history of the ethnic influence of generations. Plus, they make a lot of great beer in Lacrosse. Many restaurants serve great basic foods in the heaping portions common to Wisconsin.

The roads radiating out in a 225 degree sweep from central Lacrosse are the best in Wisconsin for variety, technical riding demands, pure pleasure of sight, smell and sound. Mix in the quiet simple character of the many Amish of the counties around Lacrosse and you feel the centuries of unique difference of our modern rides to their basic one horsepower steeds.
    Whole-heartedly agree!

Often ride HWY 33 from WI Dells thru Wildcat Mtn. State Park to La Crosse - basically, Wisconsin's version of "The Dragon." Supherb scenery abounds, roads paralleling the Mississippi a joy to be on and La Crosse a neat city - could easily host 10,000 of the faithful.

Be sure to put it in an e-mail and send it off to the BOD - they can route it to the Site Selection Committee.

I hope your suggestion takes root.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

cheesewhiz
    +1

Well, it sounds like the answer to my "need" to take my first cross-country bike trip since I was a younger man ... and only a few more kliks and I can visit my cousin in Cedarburg!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Rally sites are chosen 2 to 3 years in advance. I would guess that 2011 and 2012 sites have already been selected.

There are a lot of requirements for a site besides "this is a nice place" and the riding is great. A venue (most often a fairground or expo center) along with the necessary number of hotel rooms plus other requirements have to be met.

Chuck Manley or Ex Dir Ray Zimmerman both would be good folks to contact with suggestions.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

when we were discussing rally sites a couple years ago, Jeff Dean mentioned La Crosse, too. I thought it looked good, too.

There is a convention center (see C and E in the pic below) *and* grass camping... now, can we sell our own beer?

ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Nickname: Droid
    Well, it is in Wisconsin, and Lacrosse has a vast beer history (Old Style, for one), so I would hope the beer favor of the state would apply to accomodate us like Oshkosh and West Bend had done.
    Last edited by ANDYVH; 06-30-2010 at 03:26 AM.

That is, assuming our member faithful buys beer like we have in the past.
    Gott in Himmel! What have I gotten myself into.. .. . .

Bier Mit Wienies ?!?!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Douglas Williams
    Great suggestion. It's a beautiful area and I don't have to ride through the midwest to get there.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    A place east of the desert with roads like where I live can't be bad. With all of the qualifications the MOA has, it is very hard for any location to qualify. The number of people is one of the major reasons for many of the qualifications.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

+1 definitely. My club's Great River Road Rally in the area has proven very successful. La Crosse is an excellent location for a large rally.
    Sam Hokin, Madison BMW Club | Facebook | Flickr
    1991 K75RT (117,000 mi) road | 2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 track
    "BMWs are slugs, for gentleman riders who are also slugs." -- letter to Cycle World, 1984

GIZMO
    Are the powers that be listening?

Quote Originally Posted by astrin View Post
    +1 definitely. My club's Great River Road Rally in the area has proven very successful. La Crosse is an excellent location for a large rally.
    I'm on the Site selection committee with Chuck. LaCrosse would be a fantastic area. Excellent roads and very scenic. I've talked to folks there in the past and have even been to the fairgrounds. Unfortunately, there's little to no "green space" for camping at the Interstate fairgrounds. Exhibit/vendor space would be o.k.

There's even a Fairgrounds speedway, but it's Nascar and booked solid just about every weekend.

I'll mention it to Chuck, and perhaps set up an appointment just in case I haven't been looking at the right spot.

Thanks for the suggestion
    Ride Hard, go far, and keep smilin...

Karol Patzer, Ambassador, 2014 BMW MOA Rally Chair
    Visit St. Paul July 24-27, 2014

sratoobig

La Crosse Rally

I nominate La Crosse also, and not just because I live there. The riding in this area is just great from the scenic (slow going) River Road to hundreds of miles of paved curvy and hilly backroads. The Interstate fairgrounds may work for a rally site and there are two more decent campgrounds within a mile or two for overflow. Lots of Motel space for (us) old farts too.

Steve Andrews
    97 R1100RT