Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: squeel

yappo

squeel

i posted this almost 2 years ago.the response was tepid.i know,i should have done more about it but hell,the front brake works great and so i ride knowing not to use the rear brake.the bike;1971 R60/5.when i got her she was a solo bike and came with the squeel.i ignored the noise and proceeded to make her into a 900cc.i then added a ural car and have been riding these last 2 years with the hack.she has the SWB.she also has a subframe for the car.i've taken off the rear wheel and looked at the brake and it's lining and components.all look ok.all fluids are up but there is an additional abnormality besides the squeel,which is, the rear wheel is not centered below the fender.it is way off to the left.the demonic squeel occurs in all 4 gears when downshifting and applying rear brake.the squeel is a real headturner at crosswalks and an invitation for comments from harley riders.

is there a question somewhere in there, or just some observations?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Note: for future reference and searches, squeel is synonymous with squeal. Brake squeal.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Rally Rat
    You say that the squeal is heard when downshifting. Are you using the rear brake when downshifting, or does the squeal happen independently of the brake?

James.A
    Clutch throw-out? Mal-adjusted or worn out brake shoes? Something worse?

mymindsok
    From the description, theres no way to tell.

Never a dull moment
    Quote Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
    ..and therefore the tepid response from two years ago! Life is indeed a circle sometimes.

yappo
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    is there a question somewhere in there, or just some observations?
    what do you think,bikerfish.

yappo
    Quote Originally Posted by lostboy View Post
    You say that the squeal is heard when downshifting. Are you using the rear brake when downshifting, or does the squeal happen independently of the brake?
    yes, the squeal is only heard when applying the rear brake.thanks for your interest and also asking for additional info.

yappo
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnsteel View Post
    Clutch throw-out? Mal-adjusted or worn out brake shoes? Something worse?
    clutch is good,as is throw out bearing.when i apply the rear brake,the action is normal and the braking action is fine.except for the very audible squeal.

yappo
    Quote Originally Posted by RonKMiller View Post
    ..and therefore the tepid response from two years ago! Life is indeed a circle sometimes.
    mucho thanks for your continued tepidity.

Quote Originally Posted by itshimself View Post
    yes, the squeal is only heard when applying the rear brake.thanks for your interest and also asking for additional info.
    okay, well that now sounds like the question is "what is causing this horrendous brake noise?, and that downshifting really has nothing to do with it.
    correct?
    interweb diagnosis is much easier if you get to the heart of the matter, and toss out the extraneous noise.

when was the last time the brake shoes were changed out?
    have you tried roughing them up with some emory paper?
    same thing for the inner drum area?
    i'd start there. these are pretty simple beasts, and there's not a lot there that is going to cause brake noise like you describe.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

yappo
    Quote Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
    i'm painfully aware of my dismal writing ability and am sorry that this hampers further exploration of the problem.

Watkinsville, Georgia/Annapolis, Maryland
    Rear wheel bearing and race. Just a thought and something to check.
    '83 R100RT'd
    '71 R75/5 SWB
    '06 KLR 650

Rear wheel bearing and race.
    And hope that you haven't spun the race in the hub... You may want to familiarize yourself with Duane Ausherman's Wheel Bearing article; "Checking the spacing of the /5 and the /2; the "shake the wheel test".

the rear wheel is not centered below the fender.it is way off to the left.
    But I think this may be more indicative of something amiss.

Remove the rear wheel and make sure that the Axle Reducer (15) is inserted from the left side (it will go either way), and that the Compression Ring (14) is also on the left side (or even there at all ). It is not unheard of for the Compression Ring to have ended up on the shop floor during a wheel change, and not have been replaced.

You don't mention how "way off to the left" the wheel is, but between the Axle Reducer being inserted from the wrong side, and/or an absence of a Compression Ring, there isn't much to keep the wheel from walking back and forth across the axle.

That will be $.02 please.

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner