Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ipod problems

For those wanting to go wireless with their Ipod, I recently purchased a Sony Bluetooth Wireless Transmitter for iPod (Black). It's small, plugs into the bottom of the Ipod, and works with my helmet Bluetooth device for easy listening without wires. If a call comes in while listening to my Ipod, the bluetooth pauses play, then resumes as soon as the call ends. Nice hands free operation.

Quote Originally Posted by cscatola View Post
    I use to keep my 3rd gen. iPod Nano in my jacket pocket, but always had some problems with this method. I found that I would always inadvertently snag the headphone wire and pull it out of my ear and had a hard time feeling the buttons through my jacket to advance to the next song. I recently mounted my iPod using the Ram Mount clutch cover mount and found that it works really well. Headphone wire lays across the top of the tank and doesn't get snagged. Plus, I'm using a pair of Sony headphones which have an inline volume adjustment, which works well since I can't rotate the iPod's dial while wearing gloves. They also have soft rubber ear pieces which double as ear plugs and keep a lot of wind noise out. Here are some pics of my set-up. Oh, and I bought the Ram Mounts from GPS Zone, who were very friendly and helpful when ordering, and also less expensive that buying directly from Ram.

Ditto about GPS Zone - they have tons of stuff in stock and very fast shipping. You've mounted your ipod the way I'd like to mount mine. However, you've got electronic storage and my old ipod has a hard drive. That's been the problem!

Aaron
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL

Quote Originally Posted by dlowry View Post
    The Air Click is great, but they don't seem to be available for the newer iPods. At least, we haven't found one.
    Griffin doesn't make the Air Click anymore, hence none for newer ipod models. About the only place I found them is on ebay.

Aaron
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL

Zwei Kolben
    The Scosche remote works perfect for the Ipod Touch.
    93 R100GS, 04 R1150GS Adventure, 05 R1100S Boxer Cup Replika, 07 R1200GS Adventure, 07 G650X Challenge, 09 G450X

Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    Ditto about GPS Zone - they have tons of stuff in stock and very fast shipping. You've mounted your ipod the way I'd like to mount mine. However, you've got electronic storage and my old ipod has a hard drive. That's been the problem!

There is definitely a fair amount of vibration coming up through the RAM Mount when riding. I would only go that route with a solid-state iPod like the Nano. I'm also thinking about getting another matching mount for the brake fluid cover to mount a Garmin Nuvi 500/550, but I'm worried about the vibration levels since these aren't technically "motorcycle" units.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

...but I'm worried about the vibration levels since these aren't technically "motorcycle" units.
    Garmin, in fact, does claim the nuvi 550 is technically a motorcycle unit. Check it out on the specs page for the nuvi 550 on Garmin's site:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27442#specsTab

Roll down to the spec called "Motorcycle Friendly" and you will see they do rate it as such. As far as I know, Garmin makes only 2 current models rated "Motorcycle Friendly" besides the Zumo models. They are the nuvi 500 and nuvi 550, which are really the same hardware, they just have different maps.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by gblawler View Post
    Roll down to the spec called "Motorcycle Friendly" and you will see they do rate it as such. As far as I know, Garmin makes only 2 current models rated "Motorcycle Friendly" besides the Zumo models. They are the nuvi 500 and nuvi 550, which are really the same hardware, they just have different maps.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I knew they were waterproof, but missed the motorcycle rating. I wouldn't be using the GPS all that much so I wouldn't want to spend $$$ on a Zumo.

On the bright side, almost at the five-months-'til-Christmas mark!
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

I wouldn't be using the GPS all that much so I wouldn't want to spend $$$ on a Zumo.
    My brother has a Zumo, and I have compared it side by side to my nuvi 550. The main things you don't get with the nuvi 550 are, an earphone jack, MP3 player, bluetooth, and XM Radio. I don't have any trouble navigating without the sound, and probably would not use the bluetooth or XM Radio if I had them. I have a very small MP3 player that is about the size of a postage stamp that I paid $14.95 for. So, I was happy to get a motorcycle GPS that is just a GPS without the extras and save the difference in price.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

There is definitely a fair amount of vibration coming up through the RAM Mount when riding. I would only go that route with a solid-state iPod like the Nano. I'm also thinking about getting another matching mount for the brake fluid cover to mount a Garmin Nuvi 500/550, but I'm worried about the vibration levels since these aren't technically "motorcycle" units.
    I've actually been using a Nuvi 1350T in RAM mount - no issues though I know it's not waterproof. I think the 'motorcycle' unit thing is a bit of a scam.
    Aaron Spiegel
    '82 Moto Guzzi V50III
    '95 R1100RSL

Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    I've actually been using a Nuvi 1350T in RAM mount - no issues though I know it's not waterproof. I think the 'motorcycle' unit thing is a bit of a scam.
    RAM sells multiple sizes of the "Aqua Box" specifically to use non-waterproof GPS models on motorcycles.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Aq...5/Default.aspx

The market for auto GPS units is far more competitive than for motorcycles. It seems that the target price point for the leading manufacturers is around $100, and sale prices are regularly well below $100. If the Aqua Box is a good solution, it may be a way to cheaply upgrade hardware frequently. You can buy new GPS units for little more than the price of a Garmin map update. We can be confident that newer units are going to include new features and higher performance, probably at a lower cost (which is one reason I went with a nuvi 550 instead of a Zumo).
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gblawler View Post
    RAM sells multiple sizes of the "Aqua Box" specifically to use non-waterproof GPS models on motorcycles.

http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/Aq...5/Default.aspx

The market for auto GPS units is far more competitive than for motorcycles. It seems that the target price point for the leading manufacturers is around $100, and sale prices are regularly well below $100. If the Aqua Box is a good solution, it may be a way to cheaply upgrade hardware frequently. You can buy new GPS units for little more than the price of a Garmin map update. We can be confident that newer units are going to include new features and higher performance, probably at a lower cost (which is one reason I went with a nuvi 550 instead of a Zumo).
    Yup, thats what I have been using with Tom Tom, 5K miles and no proplems to date.

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

Quote Originally Posted by longriderdesign View Post
    +1 for the iJet Nav.

Deletions.
    What I'd like is a remote that allows me to switch categories on my iTouch. For example, I have some songs, and some podcasts, and some lecture videos. After listening to lecture videos for a while, I'd like to switch over to something lighter like music.

The people at valueoutfitters have been good to deal with. I ordered one version, I think it was the non-Nav version. It didn't quite work like I anticipated, so I exchanged it for a Nav version. It's here.

The device does a good job of forwarding through lists of lectures, or through a list of songs, or whatever. What it doesn't do is switch between categories. Or at least I don't see how it switches between categories.

Thoughts?

Noel

i use a scosche remote with my ipod touch on the bike and it works great.

i got it from aerostich: http://www.aerostich.com/scosche-ipod-remote.html

scosche

I looked at their description and video of the functions for their remote. It clearly has all the basic functions. In addition, will the scosche remote allow the user to stop a video and pull up music?

Noel

My 20Gig Classic just quit on me .Kept it in jack pocket and was able to push the buttons thru the jacket while riding.
    Did not want to go the hard drive route again(was a gift from a friend)and since the Shuffle and Zen I have will not work out in the jacket(buttons are too small),I wanted to try out the IJET I have been reading about on this site.What a great idea they have (IJET),I just wish they made one for my ZEN.So I bought a used 8gig nano on Ebay and a new IJET Nav and tried the setup out on a 300 mile ride on curve drenched back roads.Even with the gloves on I was able to hit the buttons with ease.Install was easy,2 sided tape on clutch res. and set remote in place...Done.
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig