Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ipod problems

I would think that one for an iPhone would do the trick...no?

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by clowry View Post
    You're definately NOT alone! My husband can't use his iPod on the bike. It freezes up even if its in the tank bag. He bought an iPod touch recently, hoping it would be better. Now we have to find a remote for it. We'll check out some of the suggestions here!

I have an old iPod Mini, and it works great on the bike. I use the Griffin AirClick to control it, with the tiny remote attached to the left handlebar with the included velcro strap. Works so well that when my original Ipod disappeared this spring, I bought another on on ebay to replace it.
    finally, I know I'm not the only one! I like the idea of getting a cheap mp3 player, but I use the ipod in my car and am too lazy to manage content on two devices! I'm going with a remote, so far the Scosche has the nod. Then I can carry the ipod in my jacket or tank bag where it works perfectly! Thanks for everyone's help!!

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by naddy100 View Post
    If you find a remote for a touch, let us know!

Noel
    Just talked to a friend who uses an iJet Nav for his iphone. I would guess it would work for touch too.

+1 for the iJet Nav. I just got one at the link for my 3rd gen Nano. It also works with an iPhone 4 even though the iPhone says it won't. It should plug right into a Touch. Right now the remote with the LED is on a BMWRA lanyard. I'll probably connect it to a zipper on my tankbag.

Just to add a wrinkle to this thread, I also recommend the Etymotic ER-6i earphones. They work great and fit nicely inside my Shoei RF-1000 helmet. If you look around, you can find them for ~$75.
    Robert Peterson | Cary, NC | 68820
    cat herder and pixel pusher

Quote Originally Posted by arsprod View Post
    Just talked to a friend who uses an iJet Nav for his iphone. I would guess it would work for touch too.
    Quote Originally Posted by longriderdesign
    +1 for the iJet Nav.
    This is good to know. Thanks. I'm in the big city for a couple of days, so I drifted by the Apple store today to see whether they had something. The young man in the blue shirt said "no." (I also groused a little about Apple not supporting flash. He was unsympathetic.)

It's worth the experiment to try the iJet Nav. I wonder whether there's a brick retail store that would carry it.

Noel
    I use some Shure SCL5 earphones.

Toadmanor
    Quote Originally Posted by 104554 View Post
    I use ZEN with 16GB.
    You can charge it Via USB. Runs for over 20 hours on one charge.
    Holds tons of songs and you can download movies too.
    79 bucks at Amazon.com
    Good luck.
    Thats cool I never thought of watching movies as I ride. Thanks great idea!

Toad

It probably is vibration

I keep mine in the tankbag. It allows the ipod to move more gently than if it is locked in a mount. The ones with hard drives will lock up if too much vibration hits it. As others have said, the iPod Touch and the mini's do not have hard drives, but run on static drives.

Brett
    I always keep my i-pod in my jacket that way if I fall off no wires attach me to the bike. The new touch does still lock up at times thats why the old style is better for biking. I never try to change anything while riding so I dont need to see it they are all my songs on there so I like them all

rocketman
    Note that if you try using an Ipod or Zen or even a phone in one of the tank bags that have toose clear plastic pockets on the outside of the bag (there are several bags that have pockets specifically designed to hold such items) on warm days or when exposed to bright sun for long periods of time those pockets can get very hot inside and many units have some sort of temp sensor that will shutdown the unit. I know as I tried this setup with my zen and with my iphone/ipod and on very sunny days the clear plastic covered pocket got really, really hot inside and the unit shut itself off. Placed inside the tank bag they worked fine but not as convenient. When I go my last tank bag I really liked the specially designed pocket idea, but was rather disappointed with the results. On cooler days or with some sort of protection from direct light it might work better.

RM

i listen to my ipod touch while riding and keep it in my pants pocket or jacket pocket. i have the 32gb one so i can pause it from the headphones and edjust the volume. i customize my playlists so there are no songs i dont want to hear.

On the Road
    follow up - I bought an iJet, $25 on ebay. It works brilliantly! I strapped it to the left handlebar. The buttons are a little too small so I occasionally hit a wrong one, but that's my only complaint.

I use to keep my 3rd gen. iPod Nano in my jacket pocket, but always had some problems with this method. I found that I would always inadvertently snag the headphone wire and pull it out of my ear and had a hard time feeling the buttons through my jacket to advance to the next song. I recently mounted my iPod using the Ram Mount clutch cover mount and found that it works really well. Headphone wire lays across the top of the tank and doesn't get snagged. Plus, I'm using a pair of Sony headphones which have an inline volume adjustment, which works well since I can't rotate the iPod's dial while wearing gloves. They also have soft rubber ear pieces which double as ear plugs and keep a lot of wind noise out. Here are some pics of my set-up. Oh, and I bought the Ram Mounts from GPS Zone, who were very friendly and helpful when ordering, and also less expensive that buying directly from Ram.

Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Check out the Scosche [/URL]
    Does this work wirelessly? My iPhone plays in the left pocket of my Wing, though the Aux input on the stereo. Would love to be able to control it wirelessly!

Try Air Click

remote for iPod. Works fine on my old iPod and was less than $10 on ebay. In fact, the shipping/handling was more than the $1.00 the Air Click cost. I keep the iPod in my tank bag and have had no issues with vibration.

The Air Click is great, but they don't seem to be available for the newer iPods. At least, we haven't found one.
    Dave...

----------------
    05 R1200 RT
    83 XN85 D Turbo