Thread: 1100GS-Up and Died-Help?

Question 1100GS-Up and Died-Help?

OK gang, looking for some collective wisdom here:

My best (and not so good with computers) buddy just picked up a very clean and meticulously cared for 1998 R1100GS, with about 30K on the clock. The previous owner had cared for this machine very well and had farkled it nicely as well.

SO--my bud takes the thing out for a spin for maybe the 4th or 5th (in the past few weeks) time this past weekend (this is in E. TN, so its pretty hot-as it is throughout the SE), after being on the bike for maybe 20-30 minutes, he says it just dies. He can't get it started and still hasn't been able to. He has fuel. All the switched were on (nothing bumped). He did say the cylinders are getting fire.

I'm about 200 miles away (and by no means a mechanical genius), he is not familiar with the oilheads, but has worked on his R65 a bit. He is has moderate + mechanical ability.

What might be the first few things he should check, again, remembering he's only had this thing a week or two and isn't familiar with the oilhead electrics, computer, etc. He did call the previous owner (local) who had not had this sort of problem--although the bike hasn't been ridden much in a bit. I am thinking its not bad gas, but I guess it could be? Fuse?

Have at it. . . and thanks in advance!
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Also--no warning lights, nothing unusual in the way it was running, just stopped.

Any more details needed and I'll have to relay once I get him on the phone.
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Rally Rat
    A bike of that vintage with those symptoms always leads me to think hall effect sensor, aka the crank position sensor. It's on the front of the engine, behind the lower alternator pulley. The insulation on the wires become brittle over time and eventually brings you to a dead stop. Another good indication is the the tach will bounce up and down as you try to start it.

If the bike restarts after it cools off, it's the HES wiring for sure. BTDT. New part from BMW is ~$370; fix it yourself for ~$50 and some labor: see
    http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service...ll_sensors.pdf
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Told him to check the sidestand switch too. . .

He said it still wouldn't start after it had cooled down (or the next day). He's going to check to see if the tach is bouncing as described.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Jeff Peterson
    Fairfax, VA
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Do a Oilhead Forum search on "Hall Sensor" and read some of the many trouble shooting posts there for answers on R1100 sudden death syndrome...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT