Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phase Changing Cool Vests

Ok, that's a good suggestion. If you have one of the PC Vests and still suggest ziplock ice packs it's clear your experience with them isn't as good as I may be looking for.

Thansk.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Curmudgeon in training
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Ok, that's a good suggestion. If you have one of the PC Vests and still suggest ziplock ice packs it's clear your experience with them isn't as good as I may be looking for.

Thansk.
    As Mark also mentioned, mine is only good for about 1-1/2 hours on a charge. I live in Eastern Nebraska. Very hot and humid in the summer. If I'm going on a 1-1/2 hour ride that's hot when I start and wearing it is a one time deal, it's awesome.

If you're taking a multi-hour or multi-day trip where you have to pack it, recharge it on the road, etc., it's kind of a PIA.

Steve,
    The + ... I have one and I like it as long as I am wearing my Olympia AST jacket. I keep all of the vents closed to keep the air off of the vest otherwise the packs melt too fast. Air getting to the vest is the quick melter of it.

I can usually get like others, 1 - 1 1/2 hours use out of it and it does keep me cold at the start and cool later.

I will wear it when walking around even though people will look at you funny but you will not be sweating like all of the others.

Also, you can use it when doing yard work..

The - ... Finding a place to get the packs recharged or if you bring a cooler and do it yourself can be a bit of a pain. I suppose as long as you are not trying to do a IBA run then the 25 minutes waiting on it does not matter as it does not matter to me so I wait..

The initial cold of it grabs you. I wear anything from a wicking long sleeve to a cotton shirt and I have found that the cotton seems to help out more in the insulation between the pack and the skin. Could be my imagination but seem to stay cooler longer with the cotton as well.
    With the cotton I do not get the red marks on my skin where the packs are pressing against it.

It does a bulk to your coat.

So, would I buy another if this one goes south on me..

You bet.

Hope this help ya out.

Sean
    Dallas, Tx