Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Laser protection

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by robsmoto View Post
    Wow! I saw the topic to this thread and I'm thinking -

http://www.noirlaser.com/?gclid=CPm2...FcRM5QodJiijxQ

I guess that I'm outside the demographic again...
    that's putting a new meaning to the term "I got burned by a LEO using a Laser gun"!

The officer could then say "He was Smokin' when he passed me at 110!"

RM

Look, put down the crack pipe. ANY jamming device for speed detection products are illegal. And most, if not every one of them are just expensive junk.

One of the most widely used speed measuring instruments (or SMI) in use today is VASCAR. It's a fancy/computerized stopwatch gizmo kind of deal. It sends out NOTHING to detect and SGT. speedcatcher has your exact speed without you knowing a damn thing, until you see the blue lights...

It versatile too! Moving and stationary modes...

BTW, just so you know, RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster. All of these devices have stand by modes so if you think you can jam or detect any of them before they lock your speed in, knock the powdered sugared dohnut crumbs off their face and put that Crown Vic in drive, good luck...

RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster.
    Faster than the speed of light?
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Brian, Ted is right. In a given medium (air, air with moisture, vacuum), all electromagnetic energy travels at the same speed. Some frequencies are attenuated by moisture (and this is NOT a linear function of frequency). It is faster in a vacuum than in air.
    Radar detectors depend on their receiver being more sensitive than the LEO's receiver (thus hopefully giving you the time to slow down before they acquire your reflected signal).

Just an aside -
    Southbound on interstate 5 in Oregon, I got "burned" by a LEO with a laser - he got it right in my face, and it was f[reakin'] BRIGHT, even through my faceshield + glasses. It Hurt, "distracting" is a polite understatement. Fortunately he didn't get a good lock... Typically they want the reflector of your headlight.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSprinkle View Post
    Look, put down the crack pipe. ANY jamming device for speed detection products are illegal. And most, if not every one of them are just expensive junk.

One of the most widely used speed measuring instruments (or SMI) in use today is VASCAR. It's a fancy/computerized stopwatch gizmo kind of deal. It sends out NOTHING to detect and SGT. speedcatcher has your exact speed without you knowing a damn thing, until you see the blue lights...

It versatile too! Moving and stationary modes...

BTW, just so you know, RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster. All of these devices have stand by modes so if you think you can jam or detect any of them before they lock your speed in, knock the powdered sugared dohnut crumbs off their face and put that Crown Vic in drive, good luck...
    Couple of comments.........

A. You're right - VASCAR is still widely used and undetectable, so correct.

B. The FCC permits you to receive any and all signals, but not transmit (jam) anything your heart desires, so correct again.

C. Speed of light issue has been addressed - nothing faster than 'c' - the velocity of light. However, it can be slowed down by the medium thru which it passes.

D. We switched to sprinkled donuts some years back, as extensive personal research showed that the powdered sugared ones were gumming up the electronics. Faster finger response this way!
    Last edited by Greenwald; 08-07-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Laser

Quote Originally Posted by BrianSprinkle View Post
    BTW, just so you know, RADAR travels the speed of light which is, 186,000 miles per second. Laser is, well faster.
    BTW, the "L" in LASER stands for "light", and as far as we know nothing travels faster than light. RADAR and LASERs are just different parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Truth, but -
    With the newest colliders in Illinois and Switzerland, physicists are beginning to think that some of their results - like the new particles they've observed - could only happen if something went faster than C. When you've got two electron beams already approaching the speed of light, and they collide head-on (as these experiments do), the resultant impact must account for this anomaly. Even Einstein agreed, towards the end of his career, that it could be possible.
    But this is out of scope for a motorcycle forum...!

Talking

I don't use/have a radar/laser detector on my RT. I dunno, maybe my speed parameters have changed in my old age.

Rubber down
    Rich
    RichW
    2007 R12RT
    DS/DS, OEF, OIF

Quote Originally Posted by rich223vt View Post
    {snip}...I dunno, maybe my speed parameters have changed in my old age....{snip}
    +1 Rich!

Maybe it's the New England scenery...
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

I think I was hit in the eye by a laser...

How do we get our check?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Faster than the speed of light?
    Actually, you're right. What was I thinking...

It's a bird, a plane, he's faster than a speeding bullet- it's Superman!!!

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Most "lasers" are in fact LIDAR units. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR

Most LIDAR units send out a beam that isn't visible, so claims of being "blinded" by a "laser" are questionable at best.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

I speak first-hand. It was BRIGHT, it was RED, and it was PAINFUL. I actually jerked my head back as a first involuntary reaction, then cursed the pork after I was by him.
    Last edited by Pauls1150; 08-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    When you've got two electron beams already approaching the speed of light, and they collide head-on (as these experiments do), the resultant impact must account for this anomaly.
    Some quantum mechanicists suggest that some of 'em little bosons or fermions in the experiments actually travel backwards in time, too.

You know how you can move your hand across a flashlight and shoot the shadow across the room. What if your hand was moving at .9999999999999999*C. Would your shadow travel faster than light?

Yes! No! I... don't... know...