Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Luggage Rack on 49L top case.

Quote Originally Posted by wkottd View Post
    Does anyone have a better idea for packing additional gear when 2up?
    My old bike had unpainted single layer side cases, so I installed bungee buddies and tied some small duffle bags to the top of the cases, which gave me all the capacity I needed, didn't interfere with the passenger and kept the weight low. When not using them, I just filled the holes with black RTV. On the 1200RT I'm a little reluctant to start drilling holes in those nicely painted double layer cases. I'm looking for something that will allow me to secure the duffels to the bike, resting on top of the cases, possibly using the hand rail mounting bolts. Any Ideas ?

Thanks
    Bill
    Sure: two or three webbed nylon straps with plastic side-lock buckles will do the trick. We use a dry duffel from Cabela's ("Boundary Waters") when we carry hiking gear on trips. A friend uses REI's "mud box" which is actually a small little semi-rigid thing which fits almost exactly on the top of the sidecase.. We both just attach the things to the bike's pillion hand rails and down by the passenger footpeg. I usually run another one from the back end of the bag to the luggage rack area. Never a problem of any kind. We put duct tape on the tops of the cases to protect them from scratches. When we get home, the tape comes right off, a little swipe or two with 409 or similar gets any residue off. No hooks, no drilling, quick and easy to attach and detach. The dry duffel is totally, completely waterproof.

Wunderlich rack

This is a nice rack for the large top case. Made by Wunderlich......
    http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...-302.html#hash

Quote Originally Posted by markgoodrich View Post
    Sure: two or three webbed nylon straps with plastic side-lock buckles will do the trick. We use a dry duffel from Cabela's ("Boundary Waters") when we carry hiking gear on trips. A friend uses REI's "mud box" which is actually a small little semi-rigid thing which fits almost exactly on the top of the sidecase.. We both just attach the things to the bike's pillion hand rails and down by the passenger footpeg. I usually run another one from the back end of the bag to the luggage rack area. Never a problem of any kind. We put duct tape on the tops of the cases to protect them from scratches. When we get home, the tape comes right off, a little swipe or two with 409 or similar gets any residue off. No hooks, no drilling, quick and easy to attach and detach. The dry duffel is totally, completely waterproof.
    I was thinking of webbed nylon straps myself as an excellent option for adding externally mounted gear/duffels/dry bags to a pack job. I use ROK Straps myself.

http://www.rokstraps.com/

Easy peasy, you "choke" both ends of the strap to whatever part of the bike or rack, stretch them across the load, snap the latches, and tighten them down. Replaced bungee cords in my world several years ago. Don't hurt the paint and they'll (disclaimer: PROBABLY ) never break and snap back in your face.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

True that

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_ST View Post
    Don't do it! The BMW rack for the topcase probably can't support much more weight than advised to put in the topcase itself. If you buy an after market topcase such as GIVI or Hepco-Becker, they have redesigned the racks to support the weight differently. I have an H-B on my R1200ST and a rack on top of the case on which I lash lightweight sleeping bags or jackets or stuff like that.

Lisa
    I would have to agree. I think there may be some application for light oversized items like well secured sleeping bags. I have the 49L top case ride with it all the time usually empty with about 80500 miles and I've noticed cracking in the bike mount, I think mostly due to aerodynamic buffeting or the weight of my pillion on the occasional two up ride. If I made this modification I would increase the inspection interval of the mounting component for cracks. Pictures to follow:
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Photos

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  73.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  56.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  57.9 KB
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

BMR rack

I have a 2013 RT.

I just got a rack the end of last season. Have not used it yet. For tie downs it came with some straps. I am looking to put a small duffle bag with a sleeping bag on it.

A friend gave me a couple of sets of used seat belts. I took the clasps apart. There is a part in there that the belts fasten to that I painted and bolted to the frame. I then strap small duffles on using those tie down points.