Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luggage Rack on 49L top case.

Down twice- my fault
    Denial, mostly. Sometimes West Sacramento

Luggage Rack on 49L top case.

Anyone happy with a luggage rack on top of their BMW 49L top case? I have a R1200RT, and that looks like it would be a handy spot to lash down some gear.

Any links?

I know there's a forum thread where we discussed mounting a GIVI luggage rack to the 49L top case but I can't find it. I remember seeing a photo of the top case with the GIVI rack mounted -- maybe K. Greenwald will jog my memory with a post....
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

XTrooper
    The standard Harley tour pack luggage rack fits perfectly and doesn't look bad either.

Just be careful about what you hang on that spot. Bad location for a lot of weight.
    It should be the last place loaded, if you do it.
    Load in order and keep heaviest items closest to low and center of bike
    1)Side cases
    2)Passenger seat and/or tank bag
    3)Top case
    4)Top case rack

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Just be careful about what you hang on that spot. Bad location for a lot of weight.
    1)Side cases
    3)Top case
    4)Top case rack
    My thoughts exactly. In fact my 40L top case is reserved for the likes of rain suit, bike cover, and a few extras for easy access. If not riding with a passenger I'd shoot for loading on top of the back seat. Any bag you put there will have an added benefit of a back rest though a learning curve getting your leg over.

Down twice- my fault
    Denial, mostly. Sometimes West Sacramento
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    1)Side cases
    3)Top case
    4)Top case rack
    Excellent advice. That makes sense.

On the Road
    Does anyone have a better idea for packing additional gear when 2up?
    My old bike had unpainted single layer side cases, so I installed bungee buddies and tied some small duffle bags to the top of the cases, which gave me all the capacity I needed, didn't interfere with the passenger and kept the weight low. When not using them, I just filled the holes with black RTV. On the 1200RT I'm a little reluctant to start drilling holes in those nicely painted double layer cases. I'm looking for something that will allow me to secure the duffels to the bike, resting on top of the cases, possibly using the hand rail mounting bolts. Any Ideas ?

Thanks
    Bill

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TexanRT View Post
    I know there's a forum thread where we discussed mounting a GIVI luggage rack to the 49L top case but I can't find it. I remember seeing a photo of the top case with the GIVI rack mounted -- maybe K. Greenwald will jog my memory with a post....

I have received an unusual number of inquiries about the racks that I have mounted atop my 28L and 49L BMW trunks after they've been spotted in our ON magazine or at rallies. Therefore, I slipped my 'standard response' that I have been e-maiing other members into this posting.

The E-81 luggage rack on top of my BMW 28L trunk was purchased through TwistedThrottle.com for $67.50. I have included the link below:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/107

It is a GIVI and can also be mounted on the 49L BMW trunk (I have one mounted on both of mine).

Once you decide on a safe spot to drill the four holes (be careful – look inside where you can drill thru and still access the bolts for the washers/nuts), you will need to be creative in finding something to act as a sleeve to slip over the rear mounting bolts (rubber tubing?!), both to cover them cosmetically, and to stabilize/weatherproof the rack atop the trunk.

I purchased longer rear bolts at the hardware store to complete the install, but though I’m not the handiest guy in the world - it really wasn’t rocket science to securely mount them.

This rack is very handy, not only for long trips or for securing excess riding apparel when it gets too hot, but useful for everyday events such as strapping a couple of collapsible chairs for watching the fireworks or an air show.

The rack is so secure that I can mount my big BMW dry bag packed to the max on the rack - no problems, other than being aware of a higher center of gravity in turns and greater wind resistance.

As for pics, please refer to pages 68-69 of the May (2010) issue of BMW Owners News to see the rack mounted on my 28L trunk.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 07-04-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    {snip}...refer to pages 68-69 of the May (2010) issue of BMW Owners News...{snip}
    "...having the woodworking dexterity of a dolphin..."

Now, THAT'S hilarious, Kevin!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    "...having the woodworking dexterity of a dolphin..."

Now, THAT'S hilarious, Kevin!
    You should have seen my high school ash trays and Shop hammer!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

BMW 49L Topcase rack

Don't do it! The BMW rack for the topcase probably can't support much more weight than advised to put in the topcase itself. If you buy an after market topcase such as GIVI or Hepco-Becker, they have redesigned the racks to support the weight differently. I have an H-B on my R1200ST and a rack on top of the case on which I lash lightweight sleeping bags or jackets or stuff like that.

Lisa

Givi rack

I have been planning to do this for some time. I just bought the Givi E81 (virtually identical to the Givi E107 Greenwald linked). I'm installing it this weekend. It definitely requires spacers to clear the seat rest padding. McMaster-Carr sells several options. Also need washers & grommets to seal the hole.

E81 rack: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/107

I found a useful thread about mounting this rack on the BMW LT site. Good info and some good pictures towards the bottom.
    http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45148

I'm as handy as a manatee myself (similar physique, too), and rather nervous about drilling into fiberglass - especially given the lid cost. So, I was happy to read this recommendation from a similar thread.
    - Cover the drilling locations with an 'X' of blue painters tape (to prevent cracking, bit jumping etc)
    - Use a center punch to tap a guide divot
    - Drill the holes once with a drill bit smaller than the required size, then use the correct sized bit to enlarge it.

I'm doing the work with a friend who is far handier than I am. Meaning: please don't take this process as gospel, as I'm re-posting and not offering successfully tested advise. I'll update when I have it installed...or I'm ordering a new lid.
    G Spot
    '07 R1200RT
    "Get busy living or get busy dying"
    The 'G' Spot: talesfromthegspot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by greggsnider View Post
    {snip}...I'll update when I have it installed...or I'm ordering a new lid.
    Keep us posted, Gregg! I'll be carefully following this...

ADW (Another Dolphin Woodworker)
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by wkottd View Post
    Does anyone have a better idea for packing additional gear when 2up?
    My old bike had unpainted single layer side cases, so I installed bungee buddies and tied some small duffle bags to the top of the cases, which gave me all the capacity I needed, didn't interfere with the passenger and kept the weight low. When not using them, I just filled the holes with black RTV. On the 1200RT I'm a little reluctant to start drilling holes in those nicely painted double layer cases. I'm looking for something that will allow me to secure the duffels to the bike, resting on top of the cases, possibly using the hand rail mounting bolts. Any Ideas ?

Thanks
    Bill
    Yes! I thought of submitting this idea to the magazine (Don't anyone else do it - I said it first!).

I use 3m Command hooks. They are strong (let 'em sit overnight) and remove without any residue. The hook itself is removeable from the base and the base can be removed and reused with a new strip added to it. Just buy a set of medium or large and spray paint the hook. I three of them (upside down) to a couple of spots on each bag. Make sure that any force is in line with the hook - too much of an angle will not be nearly as strong. No issues using these (along with a ratchet strap on the rear rack) to hold a U-bag filled with tent, sleeping bags ect. on the bike.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...roducts/hooks/
    '04 R1150RT

No matter where you go, there you are!

Rack options

BMR - the company that makes the Copilot shelve for the 1200RT also makes a rack unit for the 49L top case.

http://bmrproducts.com/proddetail.ph...07-R1200RT-TCR
    Dave Swift
    '07 R1200RT
    '04 R1150RT