Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's Too Damn Hot!

Hot is Hot. this was taken in Fallujah, Iraq
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

On the 4th of July . . . .

Thanks for putting up with 130 degree temps and IEDs and clueless politicians.
    You're are what makes the US great!
    Last edited by CTellman; 07-08-2010 at 09:58 AM.

RIDERR1150GSADV

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CTellman View Post
    Thanks for putting up with 130 degree temps and IEDs and clueless politicians.
    Your are what makes the US great!
    + 1.000.000!!!!!

conwaykraM

Two years later.... and it's still TOO DAMN HOT!

Nothings changed. It's nearly JULY and too DAMN HOT HERE TOO!

Riding this weekend

We have a GPS workshop this Saturday at 7:30 AM. Then I am off to Greensboro for a weekend party and camping. It cannot be any worse than Bloomsburg was.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

I'm currently in Charlotte, NC. Temp was in mid-90's today. But with the low humidity, mid 20's I believe, it felt just fine. And wile my bikes and my Darian suit are back home in Illinois, I wouldn't have any problem wearing it all day here. Nice place. Great weather.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    I'm currently in Charlotte, NC. Temp was in mid-90's today. But with the low humidity, mid 20's I believe, it felt just fine. And wile my bikes and my Darian suit are back home in Illinois, I wouldn't have any problem wearing it all day here. Nice place. Great weather.
    I rode about 100 miles today in full gear in the Charlotte area. I'm riding about 700 miles in the heat tomorrow with full gear. I'll drink maybe about 12oz of water for the whole trip.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    I rode about 100 miles today in full gear in the Charlotte area. I'm riding about 700 miles in the heat tomorrow with full gear. I'll drink maybe about 12oz of water for the whole trip.
    Dave, I hope you drink more than just 12 oz. of water. I usually stop every 100 miles or so in this kind of heat and alternate water and something like Gatorade. That way, i keep from getting dehydrated. Although I think based on past experience, your more likely to become dehydrated without a suit on than with one on.

Be safe, have fun.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Cool Knoxvegas, TN area...

Yesterday my boys and I were riding and the highest temperature my bike displayed was 106.3 F. Not sure how accurate it is, but it felt it regardless.

Warmest temperature I've ridden in so far this summer was last week on the ALCAN between Whitehorse and Watson Lake.... 88 degrees.... above zero. Very uncommon, and we had three days of temperatures in the 80s.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Thumbs up

Traveling/Touring I wear a Camel-Back. When I stop for gas I buy a 20>32 oz size bottled water and ask if I can get ice from the soda pop dispenser to fill the Camel-Back. About every 15 minutes or so I take a swig or two of cold water. The hotter it is the better it tastes. To keep the water cold blow back thru the bite valve so that the tube has no water in it to get warm. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

It's Happy Hour somewhere spartanbeemer's Avatar
    Rode the RT about 300 miles in South Carolina and North Carolina yesterday. It was hovering around 100. I work in the oilfields on the North Slope of Alaska where it drops below -60 in the winter. Give me the +100 any day. Nothing wrong with a little heat.
    To ride or not to ride; No question about it!
    '85 K100 & '04 R1150RT
    http://spartan-bemr.spaces.live.com/

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    Dave, I hope you drink more than just 12 oz. of water. I usually stop every 100 miles or so in this kind of heat and alternate water and something like Gatorade. That way, i keep from getting dehydrated. Although I think based on past experience, your more likely to become dehydrated without a suit on than with one on.

Be safe, have fun.
    I was fine riding 700 miles 15 hours & 8 of those hours were over 96 degrees. I stopped 3 times for fuel & had lunch on the second fuel stop for a total of 30 minutes = 14.5 hours riding time. I started with a full 20oz bottle of water and drank about 16 ounces.

My gear that I had on was: Lower gear, Simson Carbon X full length under garmet, Jeans & Olympia mesh Cordura pants. Upper gear, wicking t-shirt, Simson Carbon X full length under garmet, 26 to 78 layer kevlar vest, t-shirt, Olympia mesh Cordura jacket & Olympia Hi-Vis vest. The last two hours I was also wearing rain gear. My wicking t-shirt was a little wet from sweat on the lower half.

I rode home today with the same gear on & same temps. & drank a little less water.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own