Thread: I would like this to be my first rally

Hybrid View

I would like this to be my first rally

Just wondering if there is anybody in Albrightsville,Pennsylvania area that is going to the rally next year? I would like to camp there for the weekend,and need some company for my first rally.

Jayson

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Jayson-

I wouldn't worry about company there will probably be 6,000 friends there that you just haven't met yet.

I would recommend volunteering as it is a great way to meet people, I did it at my first rally and had a blast.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Albrightsville Pa.?

Where is Albrightsville, Pa. ?

gsjay
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Jayson,
    I second the idea of volunteering. It is a great way to meet folks. The beer garden and registration are two opportunities that provide a good avenue to meet others. There are many other volunteer opportunities. Camping at the rally is also a good way to meet other riders. I think you will find people at the rally to be a very friendly group. I am chairing the gates committee, so let me know if you would like to help out with staffing a gate for a shift...excuse the shameless plug.

Mark
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Quote Originally Posted by dmaust01
    Jayson,
    I second the idea of volunteering. It is a great way to meet folks. The beer garden and registration are two opportunities that provide a good avenue to meet others. There are many other volunteer opportunities. Camping at the rally is also a good way to meet other riders. I think you will find people at the rally to be a very friendly group. I am chairing the gates committee, so let me know if you would like to help out with staffing a gate for a shift...excuse the shameless plug.

Mark
    Speaking of shameless plug... the charging commitee is always looking for people
    -=Brad

USERNAME
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay

gsjay
    Latitude 41.00
    Longitude -75.57

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay

gsjay

Its in between Wilkes-Barre and Allentown. I'm about fifteen minutes from the Pocono int'l raceway.

Jayson

How to make friends at a BMW national rally.

By KBasa

One may ask, "how do I make friends at a national rally"? It's easy, really, and once you've made a couple friends, you'll find that you'll make a whole bunch of new friends shortly thereafter. After a bit, you'll have so many friends, that you'll be introducing other folks to your new friends and those folks will have new friends too.

How friendly.

Method #1. Get a collapsible cooler of some type (plastic shopping bag with ice works) and fill it with ice and beer. Wander around the campground until you find a bike kind of like yours. Stop and admire it for a bit and wait for someone else to wander along and do the same thing as you.

Now - utter the magic words: "This is kinda nice, eh?" You've now begun a conversation. You'll find that you're both standing there, gawking at this bike while you have a beer. Be neighborly and offer your new acquaintance a beer. Congratulations, you've just made a new friend.

Method #2. Work at any of the volunteer positions. I like security as you get to hang out and watch bikes go in and out of the campground/rally site all day long. You'll get a spot with a couple folks you've never met before. By the end of the day, you'll be friends. Be sure to find them in the beer tent and buy them a beer. (Beer is usually a buck, so you can make lots of friends that way).

Method #3. Show up at the Forum Frenzy in the beer garden. All the usual Forum knuckleheads will be there and some of them *ahem* may bring some kind of malt beverage that's made in Kentucky in a county named Bourbon. You'll make some new friends fer sure. And later, if you have a digital camera, you'll be able to post pictures of them with tequila bottles on their head, strange expressions as they drink things they normally wouldn't do and other income generating things.

So, while you may show up not knowing anyone, that's not gonna last long.

Finally, if all else fails, do what Tina and I did at the 49er Rally a few years ago. We set up a martini stand. We parked the bikes in front of the tent and when folks wandered by to look at them, we offered them a martini. They'd usually hang around for an hour or so while we shot the breeze and discussed the finer points of BMW motorcycling.

Hope to see you there, daddy-o. Get the Sign Man in the vendor area to make you a name tag with your handle on it and we'll be able to recognize you when you're wandering around making new friends and buying us all beer.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa
    How to make friends at a BMW national rally.
    Method #3. Show up at the Forum Frenzy in the beer garden. All the usual Forum knuckleheads will be there and some of them *ahem* may bring some kind of malt beverage that's made in Kentucky in a county named Bourbon. You'll make some new friends fer sure. And later, if you have a digital camera, you'll be able to post pictures of them with tequila bottles on their head, strange expressions as they drink things they normally wouldn't do and other income generating things.
    I highly endorse this plan, especially when somone else provided the Bourbon I was drinking

I am not the one who had the tequala bottle on my head. However I am sure that there are embarassing photos to be had.

Even if you don't drink there is lots of fun to be had. The big thing is don't be afraid to just go up to someone and say "Howdy" most people are pretty nice.

Also when you camp, make sure to introduce yourself to your neighbors.

Also the volunteer thing is a pretty cool way to meet people, cause well they are probably just as nervous about meeting you.
    -=Brad

Smile

Jayson, don't wait until Lima to attend your first rally. Attend some of the great Chartered Club rallies come spring. You'll have a great time and meet new friends that will be going to Lima. And most importantly, you won't be a "Rally Virgin" when you get to Lima! Ride safe and often.

Riding Like the Wind (come spring)...

CHASMAN
    Black '02 K12RS