Thread: Mount GPS

Got curvy roads?

Mount GPS

How do you mount your GPS? How do you power it? Pictures appreciated.

Debating whether to sprint for the Garmin 660 or stick with my Nuvi 260w. Would be nice to hear it talk to me via Bluetooth to my helmet, but is not a 100% requirement (260w no Bluetooth). I realize it is not weatherproof. Figure could just pull it if the weather turns rainy.

I have an 09 RT and use the BMW tank bag.

BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

The Copilot shelf from BMR Products . http://bmrproducts.com/index.php They have shelves and mounts that are bike specific so check it out by bike model. All you need to know for your RT. Puts it in a great position plus it's static unlike a handle bar mount.

you can buy connectors on-line.

options include cigarette lighter plug-in or direct to power source. i prefer the direct connector, however, i also have a ciggie plug for use in our cars.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Toadmanor
    + 1 on Copilot Shelf.

My set-up is a Garmin Nuvi 350 in a cradle I ordered from CycleGadgets.com.

I have a RAM ball mounted atop my clutch-side resovoir (also got that from CycleGadgets), which is where the GPS sits, and I simply run the OEM power cord to my power outlet on the left side of the R1200RT fairing. No wiring to the battery or CANbus issues.

If it rains, I put the power cord away in my tank bag and surround my Nuvi with a waterproof box (also with a RAM ball mount) I got from Whitehorse Gear. It features a soft see-through cover so I can still push my fingers onto the screen to give the Garmin commands.

By the way, I have a Chatterbox HJ-50 mounted on all my helmets. Allows me to run a cord from the Garmin (if yours has a headphone jack port) to the helmet and listen to route instructions (or an MP3 player!) while tooling down the road, or communicate with a passenger using the intercom function.

Works for me.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Unit specific cradle with a RAM ball. RAM arm. RAM base.

I wire GPSs straight to the battery with a fused connection. I want it to stay on until I turn it off so total time and average speed remain correct for the trip/day.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

+2 on co-pilot shelf. zumo 665 mounted on BMR adjustable tilt mount bracket with the Zumo OEM mount and a Touratech Locking black mount.

Powered through the switched side Centech AP-2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Toadmanor
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomicman View Post
    +2 on co-pilot shelf. zumo 665 mounted on BMR adjustable tilt mount bracket with the Zumo OEM mount and a Touratech Locking black mount.

Powered through the switched side Centech AP-2.
    Nice! I am in the market for a 665. I have the BMR copilot shelf and adjustable tilt mount. What locking tour tech mount did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Unit specific cradle with a RAM ball. RAM arm. RAM base.

I wire GPSs straight to the battery with a fused connection. I want it to stay on until I turn it off so total time and average speed remain correct for the trip/day.
    +1

I like the RAM parts.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

Toadmanor
    So I found a Touratech locking mount for the Zumo 665 Here

It says it is for attachment to handlebar. Can this be mounted on the BMR Products Copilot shelf?

Does anyone have knowledge regarding this?

RIDEOREGON
    If you have the BMR shelf, their GPS tilt mount works great and is A LOT less money than the Tourtech.

Toadmanor
    Quote Originally Posted by rideoregon View Post
    If you have the BMR shelf, their GPS tilt mount works great and is A LOT less money than the Tourtech.
    But is there a way to have the unit lock?

On my Streetpilot 2730 I have a locking device that RAm built. I am looking for some way to use the BMR Copilot shelf and have some way to lock it securely.

Got curvy roads?

660 connector to bike

I thought I saw a post on what connector you need to hook up the 660 to the bike (connects in where the Nav 4 plugs in). It had the BMW part number and wiring instructions. I can't seem to find it now. Anyone else know where the post is?
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)