Thread: Rt 26 or 20 headed west (Oregon)?

Rt 26 or 20 headed west (Oregon)?

Hi all,

I'm still thinking about doing the Redmond 1000 out of Mesquite. Both Rt 20 and 26 go east/west with approx same mileage. Is one "faster" than the other?
    I shouldn't need fuel.....so that isn't really the consideration.

TIA

RIDEOREGON
    I'm thinking 20 would be the faster, albeit "more boring" route. Only ride it during broad daylight!

oregonsage
    Correct on 20. Only one town of any size to pass through (Burns) and mostly unrestricted visibility and often a train of trucks running near 70 in the 55 zone that is Oregon (they have radios and know if there is enforcement ahead).

The John Day route is much more fun, but has a handful of slowdowns for little hamlets and more elevation and direction changes. Also more likely to encounter deer due to passing through pasture land and forests.

You really need to know how to skirt around Bend or that could slow you way down.

If you are going south to Mesquite then via Burns really is the shortest and quickest route

View Larger Map

How about coming up through Lakeview? We are headed through there on our way from Cali. Saw a few routes. We are on a 430 mile day already, so give or take a few is OK, but we are not looking to push it!

RIDEOREGON
    From Lakeview you could take 395 north to RT31 towards LaPine and then on up to Redmond. Or, if you want to take in Crater Lake (highly recommended) take 140 west out of Lakeview taking the Chiloquin cutoff. At that point you're just souteast of Crater Lake. This would add significant time to your day so you may just want to do a day trip to Crater Lake while in the area.

Thanks Rideoregon and Oregon Sage. Appreciate the info....and I guess trucks doing 70 will just increase my speed as well!

Been through Oregon quite a few times....just never east to west like the Redmond 1000 will take me.

See ya'll in Redmond! Can't wait!