Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Salty fog rally 2010

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada

The Ride

As stated in a previous post, some may want to visit (or, in some cases, revisit) Fortress Louisbourg. It really should be experienced at least once. Others may choose otherwise and that leaves all of day three open to explore. Lots of places to visit although the much more exciting riding is on days four and five along the Cabot Trail.

Louisbourg to Baddeck is only about 1.5 hours of straight riding. There are a couple of alternate routes available for those who want to explore and then meet in historic Baddeck.

This is the formal route leading to Baddeck. You will note that a ride back to Little Narrows, by taking 223 to Grand Narrows and then meadering to the ferry again will bring you close to Baddeck as well.

saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Baddeck has one of the most interesting museums anywhere for those interested in things that fly in the air and on the water. The Alexander Graham Bell museum is located in Baddeck and if you have the time, and are so inclined, this museum is a treat.

... to find out more, visit http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/index.aspx
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

A Little Map Fun......

... this link is very informative about riding the Cabot Trail. Although their direction keeps the rider on the inside of the trail our route is counterclockwise and provides an 'edgier' view of the unrelenting vistas. We try and stop at as many points as reasonable because riding and taking pictures... or prolonged staring.... can be somewhat risky up there. As well, we add a few more interesting paths at the base of the trail. Come and enjoy this route with us or on your own if you absolutely cannot make this year's Salty Fog Riders Rally.

http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/...-Breton-Island
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    One of these years, I have to do the trail clockwise. Just because.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    One of these years, I have to do the trail clockwise. Just because.
    If you're really 'feeling yer oats' you could go from Louisbourg to Baddeck (real quick) and take a 'spiriited' run at the trail and still make it back to the campsite in Baddeck in plenty of time. Maybe some others would be interested in that little venture??
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

The ride

.... while Tom's quest may fill a gap for some, this map shows the run from Meat Cove down to the village of Margaree Forks ( 85 mi / 135 km). This is just after having stopped in the historic town of Cheticamp for breakfast.

NEXT: MARGAREE FORKS TO THE CAUSEWAY
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

The Ride

...and now onward to the end at the Canso Causeway. We gather at the Irving Big Stop. From here, for a Part Two, we move on to Prince Edward Island and the Island Rally (for those interested/able)

saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Don't Forget....

..... if you are interested in being part of this 'rolling rally' please contact us at:

saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

And tomorrow morning...

..... various coordinates will be listed as well as some information regarding distances this side of the Mississippi to this rolling rally. -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Cordinates

These are the most important locations, coordinates and approximate arrival times:

SALTY FOG RIDERS RALLY 2010
    GPS COORDINATES

LarryÔÇÖs River....83 East Side Road...N45??13479 W061??22540...all day 23rd

Little Narrows Ferry...N45??59465 W061??00241...10:30am 24th

RitaÔÇÖs Tea Room...Big Pond Centre ...N45??53198 W060??34748...noon 24th

Louisbourg Camp...Louisbourg...N45??55217 W059??58283...2 pm 24th

Bras dÔÇÖOr Lakes Camp...Baddeck...N46??04879 W060??49127...afternoon 25th

Meat Cove Camp...N47??01588 W060??33556...noon 26th

Meat Cove to the Canso Causeway is about a 3-4 hour ride (including stops for pictures) For those able and interested, we will be riding on to Prince Edward Island to meet join in the Island Rally 27-29.

next... more coordinates for some minor points that might be useful
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Speaking of waypoints, Garmin's North America (City Navigator) maps for the Zumo are pretty bad for Nova Scotia. They're little more than base maps with geometric roads, shorelines, and other features. I don't know if this is true for Zumos sold in Canada, but that's what I get from my US version.

A much better map set is Garmin's Topo Canada 2.0.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I like that second one from Topo Canada. My MapSource is visually between the two that you show. Thus far I have found coordinates to be very accurate (What MapSource indicates for our Larry's River coordinates takes us right to the house. I am using a Street Pilot 2720 and Mary's Garmin 155w does the same thing. I'd like to have that Topo Canada version but it looks like it's $150. If anyone has trouble we will be near the phone to verbally assist. (note: no cell phone service in Larry's River but all will have the house phone number in case they have to be contacted or if someone wants to call out)

I will be riding the route later this week and will double check coordinates on my GPS as I arrive at each point. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Try Ibycus for Canada Topo. They're legally free, but finding a torrent may not be easy. I got my copy when the creator of these was still hosting them.

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

-Tom (KA1TOX)

55 days...

... until the start of the Salty Fog Riders Rally I will be riding the entire route later this week and confirming accommodations at the campgrounds and collecting a few more points of interest (with coordinates). We are looking at a clockwise 'extra run' around the Cabot Trail from Baddeck for those so inclined. This run will have a lead familiar with the road. A bit more 'spirited' approach.

Next week we will be posting an exact costing for the entire week. We are estimating about $65 (Larry's River food: day, evening and morning plus three nights camping at $10/person/night plus two cable ferry crossings) plus food, entertainment, gas etc.

We suggest that you email us at saltyfogriders@gmail.com if you believe that you may be able to attend. Reason: group rates and food purchases.

- Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Due to some new information from a frequent Cape Breton rider, we are now considering an alternate ride option to Camp 3 (Baddeck) by way of an area referred to as the Little Cape Breton Trail. This is located on the same Bras d'Or Lake island that we first crossed by ferry on our way to Louisbourg. However, the route follows a twisty little path to the north of the island. This brings us back to Little Narrows and the ferry which connects with the Trans Canada to Camp 3. This allows for one quick route and one that is about an hour longer. I will be riding this in the next week to see if it suits us. - Bob

Consider This: There is absolutely no other guided group tour option that will cost you as little as this tour and still provide the same level of content. This entire venture is non-profit and is aimed at introducing you to our beautiful part of the world. Come and enjoy!
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com