Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Headlight Reflector question

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    17

    Headlight Reflector question

    Question about headlight reflector.
    Is the H4 bulb side, of the part at end of red arrow, supposed to be shiny????
    Mine is very dull like oxidized aluminum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    I Oppose No Pistons Bill Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rutland, VT
    Posts
    801
    No.
    __________________________
    1975 R75/6

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,248
    Some were flat black and others-like yours-are plated. It is there to direct more of the bulb's light into the reflector. It also protects the bulb in the event of a broken lens.

  4. #4
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,921
    "no." is correct.

    ! ! ! ACHTUNG - ACHTUNG ! ! ! Be forewarned: the glass lens is not permanently affixed to the reflector and can part company at the most unexpected moment ... keep your finger around it when removing the "headllamp" from the chrome ring. The only thing holding the two together is the rubber "gasket" (#4) that wraps around the edge of the lens/refector. (most of the time it holds, but sometimes it doesn't).

    Ask me how I know this...... . . .

    edit- but it does make it nice if you need to clean the back side of the lens...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  5. #5
    I Oppose No Pistons Bill Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Rutland, VT
    Posts
    801
    And if your headlamp pops out while you're using a BFH on some other delicate component of the machine because of the cheezy ineffective lens-to-bucket clamp and the lamp falls down on the front fender/hoop brace and breaks the lens, you can ride around with clear packing tape on the lens for the next six weeks while you're waiting for the new lens from Chicago BMW that "costed" about $35 about six years ago. DAMHIKT.
    __________________________
    1975 R75/6

  6. #6
    Airhead #85 mymindsok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    65 Mi North of Frisco
    Posts
    719


    But if you're really smart, you'll snag a spare cheap offa Ebay and keep in on the shelf until you need it!

  7. #7
    Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Be forewarned: the glass lens is not permanently affixed to the reflector and can part company at the most unexpected moment ... keep your finger around it when removing the "headllamp" from the chrome ring. The only thing holding the two together is the rubber "gasket" (#4) that wraps around the edge of the lens/refector.
    With regards to the original question - on my bike, the inside of the bulb protector is plated (not shiny).

    But, I also have four of the wire clamps #18 that keep the whole assembly together. They clip the reflector and chrome ring together (with the glass lens and the rubber gasket in between).

    Regards,

    Barron

  8. #8
    Registered User stanley83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burke View Post
    And if your headlamp pops out while you're using a BFH on some other delicate component of the machine because of the cheezy ineffective lens-to-bucket clamp and the lamp falls down on the front fender/hoop brace and breaks the lens, you can ride around with clear packing tape on the lens for the next six weeks while you're waiting for the new lens from Chicago BMW that "costed" about $35 about six years ago. DAMHIKT.
    It now costs $48.43 at Max BMW! Though that cheezy clip did give me an excuse for a nice ride up to New Hampshire and cleaning off the reflector while inside made for a brighter headlight. Looks nicer too w/out the packing tape

  9. #9
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,921
    I also have four of the wire clamps #18 that keep the whole assembly together.
    There should be six [6] ... more is better.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  10. #10
    Registered User lmo1131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,921
    It now costs $48.43 at Max BMW!
    Wish I'd known Rusty and the crew AT MAXBMW before I bought my replacement from that "Fellow down in Florida" for $90.. . . .

    I love it, you order parts, and they send along M&M Peanuts !!!
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

  11. #11
    Never a dull moment RonKMiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley83 View Post
    It now costs $48.43 at Max BMW! Though that cheezy clip did give me an excuse for a nice ride up to New Hampshire and cleaning off the reflector while inside made for a brighter headlight. Looks nicer too w/out the packing tape

    Insult to inury: $38.74 at Chicago BMW but you have to ASK for the 20% discount.
    KonTourSeat.com "It's Like Butt-ahh!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •