Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trenton Canada and Niagara Falls

Thanks for the input on the Falls Paul, I'm glad the whirlpool didn't get you.

Has any one camped on Manitoulin Island?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    In my younger dumber days, my friends and I would sun tan on the boulders in the Niagara River, just adjacent to the Whirlpool. It would require jumping from rock to rock to get to the largest ones. Good thing we never slipped or we would have been sucked down into the Whirlpool. Kids sure do foolish things.
    Me too. I was born in the Falls and used to wander down to the Maid docks and play on the rocks all the time. Wonder any of us survived!

Paul's suggestions are good. When the CVMG rally was at Welland instead of Paris, I routed the Trillium Reliability Run past the Falls. George Bailey, head of the Niagara Parks Commission, arranged for us to park at Table Rock House, right at the top of the Falls. The only other people who get to use that parking lot are the Royal family. George's brother is a helicopter pilot who does the tourist rides. When Steve Reeves was in the Falls filming Superman, George's brother gave him flying lessons and has been able to brag ever since that he taught Superman how to fly.

Holly

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    we hoped to do that as well Holly but that two week span sort of ended it for our schedule but it would be a wonderful plan. We were at the only Canadian BMWMOA 'national' rally in Trenton. Great time. See you at the RA though eh? Maybe the Salty Fog as well ... nudge nudge - Bob
    Right now it is looking like I have to work in NH Aug 24th & 25th. Messes up my plans for the Salty Fog, but I have to pay for my riding habit somehow. I'm thinking since NH is one heck of a lot closer to NS, maybe I can get there for the farewells, then spend a couple of days enjoying NS on my own. And maybe the workshop in NH will be cancelled. Aug. is still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by microman View Post
    Visian,

I guess that would work in reverse. Niagara Tobermory peninsula, Manatoulin island, then rally. What is SOO??

Microman
    One of our CVMG members has a cottage on Manitoulin Island. I can get info for you. Plus there is a great motorcycle touring map of the peninsula up to Tobermory that I'll get for you. I did camp once after getting off the ferry from Tobermory in the dark. It was the first place on your right after you get off the ferry. Turned out to be very pretty in the morning, The owner was from Germany and he loved my old Beemer.

Holly

Holly,

Currently the rough plan of our route has us leaving Aug 7 going from Illinois thru Indiana and Michigan to SOO, down to Manitoulin similar to Visian's suggestion. We're planning to take the ferry to Tobermory and ride/camp until 13th when we go to rally. From rally we will hit Niagara then head toward Illinois.

The information you mentioned would be very beneficial and greatly appreciated for fine tuning the plan and filling in Aug 10,11,12 before the rally at Trenton. What is the most convenient method for you to get the info to us.

Microman

Not sure of my route yet, but might drop it off enroute to Redmond. Otherwise, pm your snail mail address to me and I'll mail it to you.

Holly

angysdad
    If you end up going through the 'Soo', check out Antlers (restaurant) on the USA side...Taxidermy decor...Paul Bunyon burger...can't go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by angysdad View Post
    If you end up going through the 'Soo', check out Antlers (restaurant) on the USA side...Taxidermy decor...Paul Bunyon burger...can't go wrong!
    good advice!

microman - the soo locks are how big boats sail up and down hill between the great lakes.

SOO pics

Thanks for the picture Visian, Wow, this is going to be fun!!!

Paul Bunyan burger??

Sounds Gooood!!!!