Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Deer Strike: To swerve or not to swerve

Here is a photo from my mid day deer hit.

Swerving was not an option, ABS saved my butt. I managed to scrub off enough speed to not do too much damage to me, the deer hobbled off to the side of the road and was "dispatched" by the police later.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

swerving to miss

In 2009 while I was riding to see my kids in Fla, I was having a great ride and a flock of buzzards was lunching out in the middle of the road, I just kept coming and they flew up and one huge,full grown buzzard hit my windshield,broke it in half,then flew off, and i held on as things happen so fast The Good Lord was with me. But deer are just as unpredictable. There is an email about a Harley rider that hit a grizzly bear and killed it, wild animals do things we cannot predict.

BugCollector
    I was driving home one late afternoon with a bike in front of me when a vulture flew up from the side of the road right at the biker's helmet. He flung his arm around to scare it away. He kept the bike up and on line. I can imagine his heart rate was elevated for a while after that. When I see vultures near the road I get on my horn early. I've seen cars damaged by bird strikes and I have lost my enthusiasm for hitting one.

radan2
    Above all, do not brake AND swerve. That almost certainly guarantees you will go down on the high side. You will come off the bike, slide on the pavement, hit the deer, then likely have the bike hit you as well.

Braking hard is probably the best strategy. Every MPH you can scrub off before impact greatly diminishes the force of impact.

Deer have evolved to make random jumps as they run as a way to elude the springs of pursuers. It is hard-wired in them. Trying to predict which way they will go is futile. Whichever way you swerve, there is a good chance the deer will go that way.

If you try to go in front of them, they may zigzag right into you. If you try to go behind them, you are likely to hit a following deer.

It is impossible to make a hard-and-fast rule. There will be occasions when swerving may be better than braking. But in my mental preparations for what I will do if I am ever faced with a deer jumping out at me, I envision hitting the brakes hard.

BugCollector
    The first time I hit a deer with a truck it was 5:30am on a rural road. Came over a low hill to find 4 deer nose to tail across the road. There was no where to go and I didn't have enough time to stop. Those things look soft and cuddly but they are made of concrete.

Harrington
    A deer jumped in front of me about 5 years ago. It happened very fast. I survived the crash but my Roadcrafter, bike and the deer didn't do as well. What did I learn from the accident?
    1) The deer crossing signs are there for a reason.
    2) Overcast October mornings are more hazardous than bright sunny days in June.
    3) Deer are highly unpredictable and wound tighter than the nuts on a new bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
    A deer jumped in front of me about 5 years ago. It happened very fast. I survived the crash but my Roadcrafter, bike and the deer didn't do as well. What did I learn from the accident?
    1) The deer crossing signs are there for a reason.
    If only the deer would read them and stick to their crosswalks.

As an interesting point, the Minnesota DOT has announced that they will not be installing any more deer signs, and as the old ones deteriorate they will be removed and will not be replaced.

In the announcement the DOT explained that the signs do not provide meaningful information to motorists because the deer are everywhere.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I think I'm gonna start wearing my hunting jacket and a carrying a 30-06 when I ride. I don't plan on shooting one while I ride, but I know that whenever I'm hunting, the damn deer make themselves scarce.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...