Thread: turn signal stuck "on" '87 K100RT

turn signal stuck "on" '87 K100RT

Interesting problem on my K100RT ('87): I signaled for a left turn and the light just stayed on. No flashing, just steady, left-turn signal lamp "on". Shut off the key and the kill switch, and the lamp is still on! For the time being, I pulled the fuse to prevent draining the battery. What interests me, though, is this happened once before, a few months ago (just after I got the bike). I pulled the fuse, replaced it, and the problem went away. No such luck this time.

My question is, should I be looking at a ground connection to the flasher, or a mechanical issue in the left signal switch? Maybe both? Maybe something else? Help?

Thanks!
    The only honest answer to your question is "It depends".

Don't forget your towel
    I bet your 23 year old flasher relay is (for whatever reason) stuck in the "on" position.

PN 61 31 1 459 224... $133.44! My K100RS is suffering something similar, I wonder if there's an aftermarket unit available?
    Last edited by sgborgstrom; 06-06-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: additional info
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain

3 Red Bricks
    Just get a used one off e-bay. They very rarely fail so a used one should be fine.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Most of the relays, when stuck in an on position, have welded together due to a low battery, etc. I have been successful at opening the ABS relay on an 1100RS separating and cleaning the contacts and closing it back up for another ton of miles with no problems. Might be worth a try.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >132,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

If it is like the starter relay you might try whacking it with a screwdriver handle
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

This is going to be an intermittent issue. Replacing the fuse the next morning "fixed" the problem. I think the stuck relay analysis is a good one...after a lot of years in electronics, that's what it feels like to me. I think it'll just have to be a "quirk" for awhile. As always, thanks for the help.
    The only honest answer to your question is "It depends".

Don't forget your towel
    I've been putting up with mine for a while now. Fine sometimes and then hitting the turn signal puts me into 4-way flasher mode, or sometimes just on...
    Steve
    "...your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride" A. Bourdain