Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    So my 08 RT will be left at the dealership when I test ride the K1300GT? I need to know, maybe I'll have someone drop me off so I can't easily trade her in.

That is exactly what i did
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

AZrider
    [Ask yourself - Why is there so many problems with ONLY North American BMW's . When more BMW's are sold world wide without all these problems.[/QUOTE]

One reason is Europe and USA are slightly different bikes. Some parts are different and engine management different. I've been test riding for an American company for 4 years and I have tested the European version of the same bike. They are different. European bikes have slightly different problems.
    R1200WGS 2013

AZrider
    I love my K1300GT almost 13000mi since dec and only fault is cruise decel sw. The bike is one of the finest made. Suspension, engine, power, fuel milage 48-52, 150mph plus top end, options mostly standard, headlight the best, luggage size and off on ability, elec windshield, heat management since I live in Phoenix and ride in 105-110 deg heat. At 32 in winter great protection from cold, who else has traction control, abs, no fuses, cad bus, heated seats, heated grips, tire pressure monitors, engine management to handle all fuels, 18000mi service, 6000mi oil change, telelever paralever for superior handeling, 50-50 balance of bike weight???? This is a comfortable sport touring bike. Now can anthing compare? BUT IF I use my emotions I would not be thinking on my logical side and I might go with antiquainted engineering.
    R1200WGS 2013

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Former K1100RS owner (currently on a '09 Kaw Concours) thinking of a new K1300S.

Lemme' tell you that many new bikes have their problems. The 1400GTR Concours has BIG keyless ignition problems (KIPass), lots of warped rotors plus misc electrical gremlins.
    Last edited by SugarHillCTD; 10-31-2010 at 12:35 AM.
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Blue Sky Canadian

K1300gt

Put 60,000 miles on my 07GT in 2 years. No problems. Really did not want to buy a K13 but I wanted the K16 even less. Got the "Exclusive Editon" ( I know, I know) and took a 6000 mile break-in run. Everything that the K12 was and more. Unless you need(?) what the K16 offers, you should consider the K13 (IMHO). Whatever you do will be the right thing! Glenn.

Hey All,
    I am trying to make a huge decision. Should I trade in my beloved ÔÇÿ07 GS for a ÔÇÖ10 K13GT with all the fixins. I canÔÇÖt think of any reason that I donÔÇÖt want my GS other than the desire to fly on this 1300 everyday. I canÔÇÖt afford both. After 3 years with my GS IÔÇÖve noticed that my desires are more suited to road sport than the road/enduro style options. IÔÇÖve explored and enjoyed this way of life but havenÔÇÖt grown full bore into all that the GS offers. It certainly doesnÔÇÖt disappoint in any category. In fact I think it is the very best all around motorcycle IÔÇÖve ever owned.

However, the K1300 has seeded my subconscious with a little devil that taunts me from my left shoulder. I blame my dealer because I was permitted to test drive the S with a large group during a rally and I quickly became enamored with it despite the claustrophobic parade speed of the procession. I kept thinking that riding a bike of this caliber is the closest IÔÇÖll ever get to being in an F-18 Hornet.

This thread is overwhelmingly positive about having a GT to call your own but I am concerned about the total cost of ownership with a flagship BMW of this complexity. The K mantra seems to be ÔÇ£complex by choiceÔÇØ but what does that really mean? Will I regret letting my GS go?
    Someone please sell me on its longevity and reliability please?
    Own: '13 K1600GT & '95 K75
    Owned: R1200GSA, GS & K1300GT

I have an 06 K1200GT and love it. Best bike I have ever had. I ride about 15K a year and this bike will just eat up the miles.

I think on occassion that I would like a R1200GS but then I would lose the great wind protection of the GT. Also, when I think about it I would be like a lot of GS riders and doing it all on pavement. I really have no desire to do the off road thing so the GT is the perfect bike for me. It is a bit heavy but nothing that you don't get used to quickly and the power is amazing.

IMHO, if you are looking for a touring bike you can't go wrong witht the GT.

GREGFUESS

Thumbs up

Count me in, I love my 2008 K1200S. The only complaint is my personal difficulty in reigning in all that speed. I have toured on this bike quite a bit, and it is very comfortable with the stock seat. Or maybe my butt is different than the rest of the community's, but after 28k miles in less than 2 years, I have had no complaints about any aspect of this bikes performance. Just disappointed in my ability to reign in that speed... or talk my way out of tickets. This is a fabulous motorcycle in every respect.