Thread: suggestions for super protective riding gloves

Hybrid View

peacetoall

suggestions for super protective riding gloves

Hello.

Would like to get yout thoughts / suggestions:
    I am searching for gloves with a premium on safety and comfort. Kinda decided on the full gauntlet design.
    Just received the Phantom Held gloves $249 from sportbiketrackgear.com
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2014
    video is very convincing but for the price, they don't have the quality I expected and are going back.
    I am willing to spend the necessary amount for the very best protection possible. Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject?

thanx

peacetoall

suggestions for super protective riding gloves

Hello.

Would like to get yout thoughts / suggestions:
    I am searching for gloves with a premium on safety and comfort. Kinda decided on the full gauntlet design.
    Just received the Phantom Held gloves $249 from sportbiketrackgear.com
    http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2014
    video is very convincing but for the price, they don't have the quality I expected and are going back.
    I am willing to spend the necessary amount for the very best protection possible. Any thoughts or suggestions on this subject?

thanx

I've spent high and I've spent low...

I've used these and they're very comfortable and they seem to be well made - for nearly $200 they should be:

http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-rid...er-gloves.html

However, I'm not sure if you've ever put gloves to the test in a crash, but I had the mother of all high-sides many years ago on a CBRR and landed on my left hand, which got trapped underneath me and the glove subsequently was ground up quite a bit. The moral of my story is my gloves were simple cow hide and they cost about US$35 - the left one was toast, but my precious hand wasn't even scratched! Spending $$$ doesn't always equal "the best".

I hope you find what works best for your type of riding!

Rob

Rally Rat
    I've been wearing AlpineStars SP-2s for several years. They held up so well in a 100 mph crash at the track that I didn' reven have to replace them.

I'm kinda surprised you're unhappy with the quality of the Held gloves. I had a pair of Held Steve gloves that served me well for 5 years before the stitching started to wear. Wonder if their quality has slipped?
    Dan

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Love my Held Phantoms, not sure what you saw, but I have heard no complaints of Quality of late. They vent very well, which is important on a full coverage glove, and have a lot od features like the shark skin sliders etc.

A few years back, when they started to farm out production they had a few problems, but they were addressed in a timely fashion from what I heard.

I posted a reply to this on Oilheads...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45615

Rob

Yarddog
    I wouldn't wear 'em, but to me, any of those gloves with the plastic over the knuckles look like they'd provide excellent protection if you landed with the tops of your hands on the tarmac... I agree that gloves afford a certain amount of protection in an accident, but I also wear them because they cushion my paws against the grips...wouldn't ride without 'em tho...

RIDERR1150GSADV

Smile

I have a set of Held Akira race gloves and like the build quality and materials used. Maybe you had a bad pair. The Akira's were very $$ too, but so far are holding up well with about 3 years of riding with them.
    A friend of mine went down a few weeks back and her $200 gloves were shredded resulting in her getting stitches. I think the Akira's would have faired much better as there are rivets in the palm area preventing the tarmac from gripping and thus ripping the palms wide open.
    I would look for palms made out of one piece of leather with reinforcement sewn on top. Here glove palms were made up of differnt pieces and that is why, IMHO, they failed as the stitches didn't hold up..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCMUasNerV4

The new Rev'it SLR. Just bought a pair. Love 'em!!! size XL worked for me. I think I'm up a size from my usual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jclse8-d2Os

Curmudgeon in training
    I'm not a big fan of Held.

I bought a pair of Held Steve gloves a year ago or so. At first, they were awesome when it came to comfort and the protection looked looked like it would work just fine. Unfortunately they pretty much fell apart before I had them a year. The stitching around the ends of the fingers unraveled.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    I don't believe the plastic knuckle guard is for crash protection, but for object impact protection while riding.

I have a pair of Teknic thunder gloves.http://www.teknicgear.com/thunder-wp-glove/

They offer great crash protection (Kevlar protection of the little finger) and were very hard to break in, but now are comfortable. Mine are not remotely waterproof. Great price.

Ralph Sims

I am sorry that I can't remember the name right now, but there is an orthopedic surgeon who follows motorcycle racing (ie. he is on track for emergency medical care) who rates safety equipment. He is not a big fan of the hard knuckle protection and says that padding and unburstable seams are what you want for a track glove. With that in mind, Helimot gloves or Kushi-t-ani (no hyphens in actual spelling but the swear word police block the s**t)gloves would be my top choices. I go with Helimot because they fit better, have great customer service, and they are made in USA.

Merged the 2 threads into gear for best response and to keep things tidy.
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Hard to advise someone who, at first glance, says the Held Phantoms are of poor quality for the price. You may not like the way they fit, or perhaps after a while of riding with them you find they aren't made for you, or you happened to get a defective glove, etc... But Held has a fairly universal reputation for high quality. My Held Steves, which I wear half the year in cooler months, have five years and 30,000 miles on them, and they're doing well.

Ever bought from NewEnough.com? They set the standard for internet sales when it comes to motorcycle stuff. Their own reviews of products don't pull punches, and here's their conclusions relative to the Phantom gloves:

As of this writing, the Phantom gloves would be the absolute “end all” protective/functional racing glove we can offer you. ... If you weren’t sure what you wanted other than “the very best” then you’ve found it.

You may want to check out Helimot's buffalo gloves, too. Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 05-24-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847