Thread: Fehling Euro Bars - 22mm or no?

poorboywilliams

Fehling Euro Bars - 22mm or no?

Hi All-
    I recently picked up a set of Fehling euro bars from Hucky's along with a complete set of cables as the final step in getting the old '74 R90/6 back on the road. I assumed these bars were 22mm and not 7/8" since a) Hans was selling them, and b) they're made in Germany. But when I try to slide the control mounts back on, the bars seem a little too big. To compare, I tried sliding them back on the original Magura USA high bars... no problem, slid right on.

So there's essentially a pinch fitting that holds the controls in place on the bars. Is there a safe way to open this up? I was gently prying with a large screwdriver last night but I really don't know how brittle that metal is. Any suggestions? Maybe a little heat?

I think you need to get your money back. Hucky should know better and/or put something on his website.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

poorboywilliams
    Bummer! Hucky's site gives metric measurements for length and rise, so I figured they would have to be 22mm diameter. But.. those controls just don't want to slide on.

Put a set of mics, or calipers on them:

22mm = .866"

7/8" = .875"

Fehling's website lists their "22mm" products with a (7/8") notation; not a good sign.

They're into Harley stuff now... . 25.4mm [1.0"], 30mm [1.187"].

Good luck with Hucky...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I bought some 22mm bars made by Flanders. My controls would not fit over the ends. When I measured the bars, they were indeed 22mm, but the bars had a slight flare on the ends. A quick hit on the belt sander and the controls fit right on. I'd guess the flare was caused by the cut off tool.

poorboywilliams
    Anyname gets the gold star, and I get the dunce cap for not checking this sooner. I got out the calipers last night and confirmed that about 99% of the bar is in fact 22mm. The portion that isn't is the last 0.25" or so on either end, flared presumably at the factory as a result of cutting the bars. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by poorboywilliams View Post
    Anyname gets the gold star, and I get the dunce cap for not checking this sooner. I got out the calipers last night and confirmed that about 99% of the bar is in fact 22mm. The portion that isn't is the last 0.25" or so on either end, flared presumably at the factory as a result of cutting the bars. Thanks all!
    Good! Same here, recent purchase of Fehling euro bars from Hucky. I measured and got the same result, but had not checked the fit of the controls yet.

Quote Originally Posted by poorboywilliams View Post
    Mom will be so proud that I finally amounted to something....