Thread: RR on the track

Hybrid View

criminaldesign

RR on the track

yesterday I had the great experience of riding the RR at VIR, took the Keith Code class and what a day.

First time on a track and pretty much a crotch rocket for that matter.

I even had the opportunity to play in the mud with it! No damage to me or bike and I was allowed back on track. Get the hose.

Mind you it was pretty much a downpour the entire day which added to the fun. Quite a learning experience in the rain.

Great bike and I was bummed the day was over. What I really like about the bike is the overall smaller size which is close the Kaw 636 that I've rode a couple times. The corners were blast, I couldn't get enough of them and when you want to move, the bike responds instantly. Had me giggling. I've never moved that fast. A far cry from my R100.

Dad and I had a great time and I'll definitely be doing that again.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    yesterday I had the great experience of riding the RR at VIR, took the Keith Code class and what a day.

First time on a track and pretty much a crotch rocket for that matter.

I even had the opportunity to play in the mud with it! No damage to me or bike and I was allowed back on track. Get the hose.

Mind you it was pretty much a downpour the entire day which added to the fun. Quite a learning experience in the rain.

Great bike and I was bummed the day was over. What I really like about the bike is the overall smaller size which is close the Kaw 636 that I've rode a couple times. The corners were blast, I couldn't get enough of them and when you want to move, the bike responds instantly. Had me giggling. I've never moved that fast. A far cry from my R100.

Dad and I had a great time and I'll definitely be doing that again.
    +1,000, Houston! What a blast.

Man you've got me pumped. I am taking the same class at Barber in Birmingham June 7. I've never been on the Barber track, just VIR. Barber looks awesome. Did you do the North course or full course at VIR?
    Last edited by RoboRider; 05-19-2010 at 02:40 AM.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Way to go! Same here

My first Code track class was at VIR several years ago. Gotta go back one of these days. I did NJMP Thunderbolt last Fri (before they headed south). Fortunately the weather help up. A bit muggy and hot but it was dry.

I'd done several days with their Ninja 600/636's. The S1000RR feels physically smaller or about the same. The ergos are not bad though since I'm vertically challenged could use higher pegs and a closer reach to the handlebars. But I think it'd be excellent for the average sized rider. The power is awesome, even in 'Rain' mode. I can't wait to go back. Some things to work on.

And if you have June's Motorcyclist magazine you can see my gorgeous instructor on the cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

CRAIGER527
    I'm also going to Barber in June for Keith Codes school. I've been so excited I went and bought an S1. The most awesome bike I've ever owned!!! Can't wait!!

Time for an update. First, if anyone is wanting to do this, email the Keith Code Superbike School as they may have more days like this around the country. You will NOT find it on the website.

We had five sessions of 25 minutes on the track, and 6 of class time. I've taken 3 track classes and they all were different, but all good in their own way.

One REALLY cool thing they did was to put an X on the turn in point of the curves. This was tremendously helpful for the hairpin turn 4. I thought I turned in OK, but I was turning in at least 20 feet too soon. After hitting their X, I was making the hairpin much tighter and faster. Man, it was pure heaven. That and Museum were my favorite turns.

The track also has one big hill and you can't see over it. That was freaky, roaring up the hill blindly. To do that as a racer, going really fast, man, balls of steel. I don't have those and kept my speed down a bit.

Toward the end of the day, I felt I was in synch and tearing it up. About that time an instructor ripped past probably doing +40mph on me. Oh, OK, THAT's what fast looks like!

The S1000RR is fantastic. In sport mode, we could just put it in 4th gear for the whole time. It has so much pull you never have to shift. It is 'controlled terror' riding this bike. Phenomenal brakes, too. I could never tell this was throttle by wire. It felt perfectly normal to me. Just a beautiful machine with no practical street use that I could find!

My buddy crashed on turn 2 out of the paddock near the end of the third session. He leaned it over hard and low sided. The bike flipped and he broke the frame--there went his $1250 deposit on about $3-4k in damage. He also trashed his helmet bouncing his head along the track. He was sore and had a broken little toe, so his day was over.

The next day, I rode 350 miles back to the trailer and then 5 more hours in the car to get home at 11PM. Next time I won't ride to a track day. I just didn't have any riding left in me after a very demanding, hot, high speed day.

So, I highly recommend you take a Keith Code track school day. They have dates around the country. If the promo is gone, they still have a normal price and it is really worth it. You can ride your own bike for less, but the S1000 is really a significant part of the experience.

Now, back to work....
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350