Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: J&M or Blue Ant Bluetooth - Which is better?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15

    J&M or Blue Ant Bluetooth - Which is better?

    I am looking to put a bluetooth system inside my FF helmet for listening to music and audiobooks and for intercom use with my girlfriend. I might also get a radar detector and a GPS in the future. From what I have read in the forum it looks like J&M has some pretty good speakers for music. I haven't seen much regarding the Blue Ant speakers and music. I have earbuds, but want to go wireless and don't want to have to put them in each time I hop on the bike. Any experience and/or thoughts would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by slider5150 View Post
    I am looking to put a bluetooth system inside my FF helmet for listening to music and audiobooks and for intercom use with my girlfriend. I might also get a radar detector and a GPS in the future. From what I have read in the forum it looks like J&M has some pretty good speakers for music. I haven't seen much regarding the Blue Ant speakers and music. I have earbuds, but want to go wireless and don't want to have to put them in each time I hop on the bike. Any experience and/or thoughts would be appreciated.
    J&M is total crap. Customer service a really bad, if it doesn't work out of the box it will never work and they won't do jack to help you out.

    If you want to know how bad J&M really is subscribe to LDRIDER (mailing list of the Iron Butt Association) and ask there. Be ready for your monitor to melt.

  3. #3
    Registered User thompsonr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Topeka Kansas
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    J&M is total crap. Customer service a really bad, if it doesn't work out of the box it will never work and they won't do jack to help you out.

    If you want to know how bad J&M really is subscribe to LDRIDER (mailing list of the Iron Butt Association) and ask there. Be ready for your monitor to melt.
    Love my J&M. Guess Iam the lucky one. always works, great sound both from Ipod and bike to bike, great CB,. Ridding buddy had trouble with one headset called J&M who sent another no questions ask told him to keep the down unit.

    This is a CB unit that take a little work sometime to set SWRs on the ant. to make all work well.

    I would buy again.
    R and R

  4. #4
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,729
    Wow -- can't get much polar opposite than that!

    Now about the OP's Bluetooth question -- anyone have an answer for him??

    (Disclosure: My view on J&M: I've used J&M/BMW products for years, and currently have a BMW-badged CB on my RT. I find: the wired headsets to be excellent; the system is good, but not perfect (I still need to get some of the RF alternator/ignition noise out of the system); and I hate the cost/need for so many add-on adaptor boxes to hook everything up. That said, I have exactly the same Q as the OP (and more) because I'm contemplating cutting the headset wires, too.)
    Last edited by mneblett; 05-19-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  5. #5
    Registered User Jim Rogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    344
    Here is a reprint of an earlier post from the thread I started on the subject back in July of '09.

    Ok, I know I said my last post was my last on this subject. However, ... I decided to go to a full faced helmet. Getting another Arai was a must. I went to several shops, trying on different ones and settled on a Profile. I remembered seeing on the J&M website (http://www.jmcorp.com) they now sell helmets with their bluetooth setup installed. I gave 'em a call to discuss and get a price. I originally did not go with J&M because their price was pretty high ($299.99) but more because their return policy on the bluetooth setup is pretty strict. Essentially, you buy, you own it. While I was talking with the J&M rep, he made sure I understood this policy. But, he also told me several of the folks at J&M are using the bluetooth setup with no issues. Anyway, I was quoted a price of a Arai Profile in 3X, with their bluetooth rig installed by them, and shipped to me all for $699.99. Quick math: Profile MSRP $535. J&M Bluetooth $300 = $835 not counting installation and shipping. My price $700. I installed a Chatterbox in my Arai Classic; what a pain. And it did not look good when I finished. (I returned that thing due to lack of volume.) Well, I have been using the J&M for a week now. It pairs up easily to my Garmin 765T and to my Samsung Rogue with no problems at all. The sound quality is superb. Plus, this thing has enough available volume to blow the helmet off. And the professional installation is just that, a professional job. The only wires viewable are the ones that run from the head unit to the helmet padding; maybe a 1/2". You cannot see the speakers at all. The mic is installed in the chin bar and again, no wires. A first class installation. I did 5 hours today, with the J&M on the entire time, listening to tunes from the Garmin and my cell phone. (I have also paired it up to my iPod Touch. Works like a champ.) It performed flawlessly and NO WIRES. I will order a spare battery (yes, you can change the batter on the J&M) and the lighter plug adapter (just in case I need to charge it or power it from Hilda) on Monday. This really is my final post on this subject. Oh, one last thing - they shipped Fedex Ground. This was very inconvenient for me. On my next order, I will ask for Fedex Express.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi/2005 DR200SE aka Pennsy
    Yorktown, Va

  6. #6
    Registered User Atomicman52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    409
    I just bought a JM Corp. bluetooth headset to have installed in my Shoei RF-1000.

    Got it on ebay for $205.00 and you can return it! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/J-M-H...Q5fMerchandise

    she would not take less then $205.00. It showed up as promised in 2 days

    JM wants $70.00 to install it in the Shoei which I have been told is difficult but not impossible.

    It is the Hs-BLU277EDR-FF

    They say 3 day turnaround and have been very helpful.

    will be running it off of a Zumo 665 with a Blackberry storm for the phone.

    JM is soon coming out with a Bluetooth passenger unit that will pair with this Rider headet but you can currently hook it to the passenger hardwired.
    Last edited by Atomicman; 05-19-2010 at 03:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Thanks for the reprint Jim. I read that thread and found it useful. I like the idea of buying a JM on ebay for the ability to return, and who can complain about $205! I am really curious if anyone has run some tunes thru the Blue Ant product yet. I have a Blue Ant hands free that I am very happy with, and they don't have the same queer return policy that JM has, although the ebay is a nice work-around for that.

    I still have a lot of research to do as well. It sounds like the Blue Ant F4 can do some limited controlling of my ipod by manipulating the buttons on the unit, if I get the right dongle on the ipod. Don't know if JM can. That would be handy as I could just drop the ipod in a pocket and go. I like the fact that the F4 will pause my ipod when a call comes in, not that I can see myself wanting to take too many calls on the road... An F4 on my helmet and an F4 on my girl's helmet, and we can chat without wires. But I haven't seen anyone speak to the quality of the speakers, as I have the JMs.

    In the future I would like to look at building a radar detector in the bike(don't want it stolen, and I will forget to pull it eventually...). In my car and truck I have been thrilled with the latest Escort stuff, and they now have a build-in for around $500. I haven't researched it yet, but it would seem that one could probably set the output to a bluetooth as well. GPS, yeah probably someday.

    So that's kinda where I am heading with this. Thanks again for the thoughts and ideas ya'll!

  8. #8
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Wow -- can't get much polar opposite than that!

    Now about the OP's Bluetooth question -- anyone have an answer for him??
    I think this thread highlights the different requirements of the two groups.

  9. #9
    Registered User xp8103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,551

    Thumbs up

    FWIW,

    I picked up a Cardo Scala Q2 and so far, have no complaints about it. I've figured out the FM radio and am getting used to adjusting it. I LOVE the simplicity of the unit and how the business end of it simply slides on and off. I picked up a Teamset (comes as a pair for B2B via BT) and my wife and I tested it yesterday with her standing at the end of our driveway. I was able to drive probably 3/8ths of a mile up our road before losing signal. Cardo claims 1600+ feet usability (environment implied) and I can't argue with them at this point. Off eBay it was $230 for the pair.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    I think this thread highlights the different requirements of the two groups.
    Hmm. I can imagine that the Iron Butt guys would like a corded system more for the reliability and, I would imagine more important, the lack of batteries that can run dead on a very long haul. Other than that, Rob, what do you feel the different requirements are? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it is a serious one, not a dig. I bought my bike in NH and rode it back to Denver. Listening to audio books on my ipod with ear-buds made the miles melt away... (could have made that an Iron Butt ride with a bit more planning...) If I was doing another ride like that, I would be using ear plugs or ear buds again, but for the 45min commute or a jaunt in the mtns with the girlfriend, I would rather have the speakers in the helmet and no wires for convenience. Are there other factors the IB folks look for?

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    FWIW,

    I picked up a Cardo Scala Q2 and so far, have no complaints about it. I've figured out the FM radio and am getting used to adjusting it. I LOVE the simplicity of the unit and how the business end of it simply slides on and off. I picked up a Teamset (comes as a pair for B2B via BT) and my wife and I tested it yesterday with her standing at the end of our driveway. I was able to drive probably 3/8ths of a mile up our road before losing signal. Cardo claims 1600+ feet usability (environment implied) and I can't argue with them at this point. Off eBay it was $230 for the pair.
    So what do you think of the fidelity of the included speakers? Have you ridden with the system at speed yet? Does the sound come through clearly? I guess the first question should be are you using a full face helmet?

    Thanks for the input!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    J&M is total crap. Customer service a really bad, if it doesn't work out of the box it will never work and they won't do jack to help you out.

    If you want to know how bad J&M really is subscribe to LDRIDER (mailing list of the Iron Butt Association) and ask there. Be ready for your monitor to melt.
    I really like my J&M setup. I've had it for a couple of years. I shipped my helmet to Arizona for a ride. On the return trip, it was broken. When I called J&M, they wouldn't sell the bracket to me... they simply shipped me another. I haven nothing but positive things to say about this company.

  13. #13
    Registered User xp8103's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,551
    Slider,

    I have a Scorpion EXO900 modular. The sound quality is certainly not Radio City Music Hall or even Bose Wave Radio. But considering the wind noise inside my helmet (much lower with the EXO900 than my HJC CL-15) the sound quality is fine.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

    Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

  14. #14
    Ritalin Poster Boy rob nye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Bristol, Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by slider5150 View Post
    Hmm. I can imagine that the Iron Butt guys would like a corded system more for the reliability and, I would imagine more important, the lack of batteries that can run dead on a very long haul. Other than that, Rob, what do you feel the different requirements are? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but it is a serious one, not a dig. I bought my bike in NH and rode it back to Denver. Listening to audio books on my ipod with ear-buds made the miles melt away... (could have made that an Iron Butt ride with a bit more planning...) If I was doing another ride like that, I would be using ear plugs or ear buds again, but for the 45min commute or a jaunt in the mtns with the girlfriend, I would rather have the speakers in the helmet and no wires for convenience. Are there other factors the IB folks look for?
    You are correct, the biggest issue is batteries. That's why wireless hasn't caught on.

    As to the rest of your question it isn't an issue with corded vs cordless, it's more about quality equipment backed by someone who cares.

    IB Riders will input a GPS, cell phone, i pod, FRS and for some CB into one system. We're running a few sets of aux lights and generally have the electrical system at high load all the time.

    Hi electrical load can mean more noise, but that's the same if your sending the signal to your speakers via bluetooth or a cord.

    The concept of the J&M stuff is pretty good but the technology behind it hasn't been updated in a very long time. It is too easy to get interference in an analog system.

    The only thing J&M has is a water resistant (they don't claim their stuff is waterproof) handlebar mounted CB. If this is not a primary requiement there are many other vendors who offer much better equipment for less money.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    You are correct, the biggest issue is batteries. That's why wireless hasn't caught on.

    As to the rest of your question it isn't an issue with corded vs cordless, it's more about quality equipment backed by someone who cares.

    IB Riders will input a GPS, cell phone, i pod, FRS and for some CB into one system. We're running a few sets of aux lights and generally have the electrical system at high load all the time.

    Hi electrical load can mean more noise, but that's the same if your sending the signal to your speakers via bluetooth or a cord.

    The concept of the J&M stuff is pretty good but the technology behind it hasn't been updated in a very long time. It is too easy to get interference in an analog system.

    The only thing J&M has is a water resistant (they don't claim their stuff is waterproof) handlebar mounted CB. If this is not a primary requiement there are many other vendors who offer much better equipment for less money.
    Great input Rob. Thanks. So does the IB crowd have a preferred bluetooth system, or do they just stay with wired?

    THANKS!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •