Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Video Ride to the Top of Loveland Pass - May 17th, 2010

On a Ride

Video Ride to the Top of Loveland Pass - May 17th, 2010

Hey, in case interest, turned on the helmet cam around noon today and recorded a south ascent of Colorado's Loveland Pass. Distilled it to a 3:52 recording. The vid begins at the Arapahoe Basin Ski Area and concludes at the 11,990 foot summit.

Recent snow has turned the above timberline area into a brilliant and searing show of white. Coupled with cottony clouds of the same color, only the high altitude sky of deep blue helps the mind and camera separate where the two aren't one. As thin altitude is gained so is there a thinning of the trees, until there is nothing but immense blankets of white with little contrast left to define what they hide. The sun does its blinding part. The camera is almost overwhelmed. Same for the brain. At least there is a bleached road in between it all to keep the BMW's front wheel pointed correctly!

South Ascent of Loveland Pass - Streaming Video

Another great video, Steve. This one had special memories for me. I did that same ride, starting in Dillon, in 1984. But at a much slower pace, since I was on a bicycle. lol Haven't been back since, and your video really helped stir up the beautiful memories and desire to return.

1984 was an Olympic year. We rode to the top of Loveland Pass to watch the bicycle racers in the Coors Classic on their leg from Golden to Copper Mountain. As they crested the top of the pass their support members handed them newspapers to shove under their jerseys, to help keep them warm on the descent. The race was filled with great racers in 1984, using the Coors Classic as a warm up for the Olympics in LA.

Great video of a gorgeous ride. Thanks.
    Dan

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Oh no, he's making me feel rotten AGAIN about my failure to make more movies...
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Oh no, he's making me feel rotten AGAIN about my failure to make more movies...
    Beware the dark side.

Smile

Sweet... very sweet.

SNOONE
    another great ride to make us jealous.. Steve.. Thanks for posting

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Another great video, Steve. This one had special memories for me. I did that same ride, starting in Dillon, in 1984. But at a much slower pace, since I was on a bicycle. lol Haven't been back since, and your video really helped stir up the beautiful memories and desire to return.

1984 was an Olympic year. We rode to the top of Loveland Pass to watch the bicycle racers in the Coors Classic on their leg from Golden to Copper Mountain. As they crested the top of the pass their support members handed them newspapers to shove under their jerseys, to help keep them warm on the descent. The race was filled with great racers in 1984, using the Coors Classic as a warm up for the Olympics in LA.

Great video of a gorgeous ride. Thanks.
    Dan... That is a great tale and memory! I was in Cincinnati in '84 but remember my manager having tickets to the LA Olympics. I didn't come to CO until '86, but how about that... taking two wheels to the top of Loveland via pedal power! Take a bow! That would be quite a haul for those racers to ascend Loveland all the way from Golden and then continue on to Copper Mountain. Loveland is a beautiful and high pass I never tire of experiencing.

Thanks for the (as usual) great video. I did that ride in reverse last summer - it was a little less white.

What's the soundtrack?
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Super, as always, Sfarson. I too did it in reverse last summer and it is great to see what it looks like in the winter. Beautiful in any season!
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Weren't some of the action sequences from American Flyers shot during that race?

Bob
    Vancouver, WA
    R1150RT
    "Concorde"

franze

thanks!!

very smooth. Beautiful.

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    Thanks for the (as usual) great video. I did that ride in reverse last summer - it was a little less white.

What's the soundtrack?
    Hey, good to hear from everyone! Thanks.

Terence... the accompaniment is "Hand in Mine" by the artist Davol

I'm saving this for the weekend...
    Last edited by rinty; 05-19-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Fantastic, as usual, Steve. I noticed your pace was a little more subdued, this time. Gravel inhibited, no doubt?

And A Basin, home of the hardcore skiers. Didn't the U.S. Team used to practise there, in the summers?
    Last edited by rinty; 05-29-2010 at 03:11 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Fantastic, as usual, Steve. I noticed your pace was a little more subdued, this time. Gravel inhibited, no doubt?

And A Basin, home of the hardcore skiers. Didn't the U.S. Team used to practise there, in the summers?
    Possibly so. I know A-Basin is often the last to close down for the summer. A few years ago I think they were open until August, shut down for a month or two, then a new season began!