Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: At the light waiting and waiting and waiting and...

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Arkansas has had a motorcycle Red Light Law since 2005.

Ralph Sims

About the only bad side effect of the fluorescent green Olympia Jacket I now wear.

When stuck at a malfunctioning light, it is now almost impossible to get anyone to pull up close enough to trip the light. Especially on a sunny day. They tend to stay about 1 or 2 car lengths back. Not that it is a bad thing.

Rod

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    I practice "stop, look & leave". I made it up myself. I can't wait to explain it when I get pulled over some time.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    About the only bad side effect of the fluorescent green Olympia Jacket I now wear.

When stuck at a malfunctioning light, it is now almost impossible to get anyone to pull up close enough to trip the light. Especially on a sunny day. They tend to stay about 1 or 2 car lengths back. Not that it is a bad thing.

Rod
    Been there. If it looks like 'Soccer-Mom Sally' behind me is going to error on the side of caution and stay too far back to be of assistance, this works:

Activate your flashers and wave her on past you - as she performs this maneuver, the signal will trip and away you go.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

"I am aware from previous posts that you and authority have not always been the best of friends - sorry for that."

Kevin,

I have the greatest respect for authority. I was a Building Official, Codes Enforcement, and Zoning Enforcement director for most of my 30+ year career. I clearly understand the proper and improper use of authority; even disciplined subordinates a few times because they didn't want to think. What I have a problem with is the unthinking abuse of authority.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-20-2010 at 06:54 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    "I am aware from previous posts that you and authority have not always been the best of friends - sorry for that."

Ken,

I have the greatest respect for authority. I was a Building Official, Codes Enforcement, and Zoning Enforcement director for most of my 30+ year career. I clearly understand the proper and improper use of authority; even disciplined subordinates a few times because they didn't want to think. What I have a problem with is the unthinking abuse of authority.
    OK - I'm with ya on that.

Like you, I wish we had fewer laws to enforce, since many are duplicated in their intent.

Not sure if 'the system' can filter itself anymore - too much bureaucracy.

Sounds like things in Texas are even more convuloted than here is WI.

Have a safe and busy (riding, that is) summer.

Douglas Williams
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post

The loop sensor not detecting your motorcycle is not a malfunction, but rather a sensitivity issue, for which you can petition local government for resolution.

Anyone self-declaring such an intersection as 'malfunctioning' could result in their day ending badly.

Ride Safe.
    Under NC law, even if the detector is working and detects larger vehicles, a motorcyclist is allowed to treat it as a malfunctioning signal if it doesn't detect the motorcycle and proceed after the appropriate delay.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    Under NC law, even if the detector is working and detects larger vehicles, a motorcyclist is allowed to treat it as a malfunctioning signal if it doesn't detect the motorcycle and proceed after the appropriate delay.
    Similar to Wisconsin's law (see Paul's post of the specific language), but here, it does not get classified as "malfunctioning."

Interesting.

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Regardless of any law, after waiting the prescribed length of time, and proceeding, should a LEO happen upon you as you go, you will probably still get a ticket. They did not see you waiting, so it just you word, which is meaningless in traffic court.

I don't know the legal meaning of malfunction, but as a design engineer, if a sensor fails to detect an object is supposed to detect. That is a malfunction. But try proving it in court.

I suppose you can turn off the bike and push it to the corner and press the button.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    Regardless of any law, after waiting the prescribed length of time, and proceeding, should a LEO happen upon you as you go, you will probably still get a ticket. They did not see you waiting, so it just you word, which is meaningless in traffic court.

I don't know the legal meaning of malfunction, but as a design engineer, if a sensor fails to detect an object is supposed to detect. That is a malfunction. But try proving it in court.

I suppose you can turn off the bike and push it to the corner and press the button.

Scott
    How sad it is that we now consider sworn testimony to be "meaningless" in a court of law. I guess years of folks lying on the stand under oath brings us to that. If it happened to me I would take my bike right back to the same spot with as many witnesses as I could cajole to accompany me so that I could corroborate my version for the judge. Of course, with my luck I'd go back and the darn detector would work.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    How sad it is that we now consider sworn testimony to be "meaningless" in a court of law. I guess years of folks lying on the stand under oath brings us to that. If it happened to me I would take my bike right back to the same spot with as many witnesses as I could cajole to accompany me so that I could corroborate my version for the judge. Of course, with my luck I'd go back and the darn detector would work.
    My comments were based on the fact that in traffic court (unlike criminal court), the burden of proof has always been with the defendant.
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster