Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riding Pants Length

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar

Riding Pants Length

I just bought a pair of Icon riding pants. The waist is fine, but the legs are 6" too long. They do not come in different lengths.

Any suggestions besides a tailor?

Do better quality pants come in different lengths? I have a 30" inseam.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by TinyTrains; 05-16-2010 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Spelling
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Dale Rudolph
    Have you ridden the bike with the new pants yet? While visiting S. California
    last month, I came across a close out sale on pants at a BMW dealership. I bought
    a pair of BMW Santiago pants that are perfect in the waist, but were too long.
    After getting home to Oregon and riding the bike, it turns out that for bike
    riding, the extra 4 inches is just right. I used to wear regular jeans while
    riding, my regular size was fine for walking around, but I always had to pull them
    down when I got on the bike. I'm not sure, but it seems that bike pants are
    supposed to be longer than regular pants.

Scott, you could just do the 60's retro thing, and roll some cuffs in the bottom!

Seriously, riding pants are cut to be longer because when you bend your leg the cuff rides up.

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

IMHO, most riding pants are made too long for my 28" inseam. The only true way to get a fit if you are short is get the Aerostich Darien pants and have them custom shortened. Mine have 2" removed above the knee and an equal amount below the knee. In the long run, the cost is well worth it.

Peg 'em or tailor 'em...

i have two pair of olympia riding pants and had my local tailor shorten them

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    I went for a rid this morning. They are about 3" too long on the bike. I tucked them up and that seems to work. Once I decide the the right amount, I will hem them.

Thanks,
    Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
    i have two pair of olympia riding pants and had my local tailor shorten them
    Same here. Just be sure to have them a little longer than you would a normal pair of pants. And when you go to the tailor, wear your riding boots.

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTrains View Post
    I just bought a pair of Icon riding pants. The waist is fine, but the legs are 6" too long. They do not come in different lengths.

Any suggestions besides a tailor?

Do better quality pants come in different lengths? I have a 30" inseam.

Thanks,
    Scott
    HT overpants.

A few other things to consider along with getting them taylored.

Do you wear short, mid or high boots? I wear mid length boots and wish my pants were a bit longer. In good weather there is no problem but the few times were I got caught in a seriour down poor I was constantly fiddling making sure my pants stayed below/over my boot otherwise my boot would have filled with water..

I'll probably replace the boots first so when I do the boots will be a little higher to help fit the pants.

-Rail road alert-

The only thing plural about pants is there are two legs. A shirt has two arms so why isn't that called a shirts? Pants is more than on garment a pant is only one. -Stacie London.

-The train has passed.- Please go back to the orginal topic.
    2007 R1200 RT
    My other BMW is a Mini
    -99%er-

I have the opposite problem. if it fits my waist the pants are way too short. are all ATGATT riders a bit overstuffed? This applies to pants and overpants. Help! My shins are cold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by savategreg View Post
    I have the opposite problem. if it fits my waist the pants are way too short. are all ATGATT riders a bit overstuffed? This applies to pants and overpants. Help! My shins are cold!!!
    Buy one size too big to get the length right and add suspenders to keep them from falling down.

ExMaTprinLowerAlabama
    As someone noted above (HT Overpants)... First Gear makes all their pants in short / regular /longs. I'm a 29 inseam and they fit me just fine. Knee pads in the right place too, no extra charge!

Smile

You asked two questions, so here are two suggestions:

For a future brand that is more 'inseam-friendly,' consider Olympia.

I have the X-Moto pants, and they intentionally stop the zipper 6" before the OEM hemline. That way, you can custom tailer the inseam, but avoid the most expensive part of tailoring - zipper replacement.

As for where to get the work done, look up the local tent/canvas repair shop in your city. They did a nice job on my Olympia's and had the machines and needles to do the job right.

Just hem them as long as possible when standing (in your normal riding boots), as they will ride up a bit in the bent-leg position on a bike.

Good Luck!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

!!! Thread Jack !!!
    The only thing plural about pants is there are two legs. A shirt has two arms so why isn't that called a shirts? Pants is more than on garment a pant is only one. -Stacie London.
    Kinda like a pair of scissors. Or a paradox... Huh Smiley

:: Un-Jack ::
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

16. 05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
    Reason
    inapt