Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Packing Bike for Touring

regarding the cork screw....we brought a Swiss Army knife& Leatherman tool....good for wine too but we drink beer...

Smile

At 68 years of age I find that the only way for me to be comfortable on a long trip is to pull a trailer. I road out to Shady Cove, OR after this years rally to buy a Bushtec trailer listed in the Fleamarket ads. This trailer allows me to carry what I want and will let me remove the top bag from my CLC. Tools, tape, etc go in the right bag and rain gear in the left bag. By moving tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, clothing, jet boil, air pump, and other items to the trailer weight is removed from the bike and it just feels and handles better. Since I ride solo a backrest for the front seat will be purchased for longer trips. The ability to lock your trailer and leave it at a campsite along with your tent and other gear allows you to enjoy riding the backroads, visit local historic sites, and in general enjoy the local scenery. I am planning on upgrading my suspension with Ohlins and now can get the spring / shock combination that best matches my bike sans trailer and the weight I used to carry that was higher than the center of gravity and affected handling. Ride Safe

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    I found that we did OK packing but I STILL took way too much in most departments. Planning on packing even less next time and see where that gets me. (: We did use the laundry mats a few times along the road and that helps some.

A couple of friends tow trailers and love them. They go on LONG distant trips and wouldn't go without one now.

Can you still get Ohlins shocks for a CLC??
    00 R1200C (blue)

Smile

They had Ohlins shocks at the 2009 Rally in TN that would fit the CLC. There was a Vender at the 2010 Winter Rally Camp Blanding, FL that sold after market rebuildable shocks that would fit just about any bike including CLC's. As I remember his price was maybe $200 less than I was quoted for the Ohlins.
    Ride Safe

PS: I will get his name and address if he returns to the Winter Rally this coming January and post it.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    Rpbump ~
    Would love to have that info.
    Thanks!
    00 R1200C (blue)

Kelly - Check out Hyperpros from Klaus at EPM Performance Imports. www.epmperf.com His add is on page 25 of the November ON.

I ordered mine at the TN Rally, and have enjoyed them for over a year.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

I use compression sacks for my tent, sleepingbag, and some of my clothes. It realy allows you to pack small.

A few more quick thoughts;

Keep it dry, small, tight on the bike and low CG. Thats about all you need to know. Become a "minimalist", because less is always better on a bike trip. Buy it on the road if you really need it or forgot it. Remember this too, YOU can always ship UPS/FedX something home, if you find it useless on a road trip. Many do! A National Rally, this is so prevelant to ship goods. Randy

This is a good thread as I need to redo my packing as I added a top box to bike and the Mags Bags I use to use for my camping gear and etc. will no longer work due to the top box. The Mag Bags wasn't made for my bike anyways. I normally tend to carry too much and need to still learn how to cut down on some items I carry.

Thirty some years ago when our daughter was 7 or 8, Voni was stressing about making sure everything was packed for a two week family vacation. Melanie, having had enough, and with the wisdom arising from "having been here before" we are sure, looked at Voni and said: "Mom, they have stores there too you know!"

Out of the mouths of children .......
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Good one, Paul:)

I traveled with my Daughter too, on extensive bike trips and this is so true about the kids helping us figure it all out. My eldest Daughter at 27 now, has become an experienced tourer in her own right on a F650, solo adventures under her belt across country. Best regards to those other ladies adventuring around the planet on two wheels. You'll never look back or ever feel the same again about travel. Happy Trails, Randy