Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thinking about getting one of these...

thinking about getting one of these...

...to keep my '87 r80 company, unless learned elders here think it may be a POS.
    any inputs appreciated before i pull the trigger. i was looking at the r1200r but the complexity (although i'm sure it's reliable as hell) just turned me off.
    10-q.
    ed flanagan
    http://triumph.goldcoast-motorsports...ModelYear=2010
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    ...to keep my '87 r80 company, unless learned elders here think it may be a POS.
    any inputs appreciated before i pull the trigger. i was looking at the r1200r but the complexity (although i'm sure it's reliable as hell) just turned me off.
    10-q.
    ed flanagan
    http://triumph.goldcoast-motorsports...ModelYear=2010
    What is the actual price? The $8999 MSRP is attractive, so the final deal should be even better.

Haven't they added a counter-balancing shaft to handle the vibration? If so, it looks good to me.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Talking Triumph

I will not tell you how to spend your money, but the Scrambler has 2 more inches of distance between the seat and the foot pegs as compared to the Bonny.

Other than the Scrambler having slightly less HP and slightly different gearing, the bikes are basically the same platform.

I recently rode a Bonny, and I felt cramped and the brakes were mediocre at best.

Both are good commuter or day ride bikes. If you want saddle bags than get the Bonny.

My own preference would be to buy a used one about 4 year old. The new ones are made in Asia and I have heard comments about workmanship.

lurk here for awhile:
    http://www.triumphrat.net/
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    I will not tell you how to spend your money, but the Scrambler has 2 more inches of distance between the seat and the foot pegs as compared to the Bonny.

Other than the Scrambler having slightly less HP and slightly different gearing, the bikes are basically the same platform.

I recently rode a Bonny, and I felt cramped and the brakes were mediocre at best.

Both are good commuter or day ride bikes. If you want saddle bags than get the Bonny.

My own preference would be to buy a used one about 4 year old. The new ones are made in Asia and I have heard comments about workmanship.

lurk here for awhile:
    http://www.triumphrat.net/
    The wholw bikes are assembled in Asia? Where?
    Or just a lot of components?

Made in Asia? Hadn't heard that... I know the 2009 & up are Fuel Injection...

Nickname: Droid
    Same here. I have not read anywhere that any of the current Triumph models are made in Asia? Some of the components are likely made in Asia, but I seriously doubt any complete bikes are made there.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    I picked up a 'pre-owned Bonney (only 980km on the clock for a 2009) this spring for my wife and I to do short commutes and run errands on surface streets in the city. Runs like a top, very flickable, a real joy to ride around town. Yes the brakes are not at all like our RTs, but all in all exactly the bike we wanted for the things we had in mind. Asia? I will have to research that. I can say one thing, their manual is very good and informative along with a helpful book on riding which is as good as the MSF material here in the great white north.

Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar

According to Wikipedia:

New Bonneville

A completely new Triumph Bonneville 790 was debuted in 2001 by Bloor's Triumph Motorcycles Ltd. Originally built exclusively in Hinckley, England, some models are now produced at the company's Thailand manufacturing facility (which also makes components and accessories for various Triumph bikes). The new "Bonnie" strongly resembles the earlier models in style and basic configuration, but with entirely modern engineering. At the debut the new version was given a 790 cc parallel-twin engine, with the up-spec T100 receiving a 865 cc motor. From 2007 on, all Bonnevilles received the 865 cc motor. Through 2007, all motors had carburetors; electronic fuel injection was then introduced to the 2008 models in Britain and to United States models in the 2009 model year, in both cases to comply with increasingly stringent emissions requirements. "Dummy" carburetors have been added to the 2009 models to retain the original vintage styling of previous years.

All the bikes in Triumph's current "Modern Classics" line are based on the new Bonneville, including the SE, T100, Thruxton, Scrambler, America, and Speedmaster.

In 2006, Triumph launched the "Sixty-8" line of Bonneville accessories, offering vintage and modern-style items including seats, seat covers, cam covers, sprocket covers, petrol tank covers, tank badges, panniers, and other items to allow Bonneville owners the opportunity to customize their bikes for considerably less cost than traditional customizations.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

I have a 2008 Scrambler I bought used last year with 700 miles. It will turn over 5k next week.

No reliability issues at all. The bike doesn't have the horsepower of our BMW's but it's a great fun ride and will cruise at 75 with no problems and can do "the ton" if you feel like it. That's plenty fast for me.

I think it's a keeper. It's a different ride than my BMW but a good ride nonetheless.

Joe
    Last edited by Jfabrygel; 05-09-2010 at 12:16 PM.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    With the experiences I have had over the years with English made cars, I would thing an Asian made Triumph would be a positive thing.

Ken
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I don't believe the Triumph would be a POS. As far as performance it may somewhat duplicate your R80 where the R1200 would be light years ahead in handling, power and braking. Harley's Sportster 1200 may compare with the Bonneville and would price just a little more. (The 883 a little less).
    I believe all Triumph twins are made in Thailand now.

John D'oh

Ron Likes His....

My friend Ron got a Bonneville to keep his R100S company. He picked it up last week with some nice incentive type extras 'bolted on' and a really swell retro-style Triumph jacket. I would have to say he likes it because while we corresponded regularly up to the point he pulled the trigger on the Triumph. I haven't heard from him in since. I tried to tell him that they are made in China at a factory that also makes 90% of the worlds door hinges now and that Bonneville in Chinese means Submersible Green suitcase but he wouldnt listen

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    With the experiences I have had over the years with English made cars, I would thing an Asian made Triumph would be a positive thing.

Ken
    That is just what I was thinking

It won't be a POS. I believe Triumph's quality is equal to or better than BMW. (I'm going to be posting a thread about my dilema with my 05 GS either here and/or ADVRider.) At any rate, I had a 2006 Bonnie, only for about a year though. Sold it partly due to a divorce, but mostly because every time I rode it, I found myself wishing I was on my airhead instead. About three months ago, I bought a 2007 Scrambler with only 2500 miles, pristeen condition, with TOR's (off road mufflers - not loud, sound great) for $5200. I'm loving it. Great bike for riding around town and blasting around back roads. It just puts a huge grin on my face. I'm 6'2", and the Scramber does fit me better, but the Bonnie was fine as well.

Most production of the classic twins moved to Thailand with the 2007 model year. I was pleasantly surprised when I went to buy mine it was made in England, but I would have bought it as a Thailand model as well. I've not read of the slightest difference in quality between bikes made in the two countries. They're mostly the final assembly point for components sourced from around the world anyway.

I'd advise you to consider looking at a used one. You can find Bonnies and Scramblers with low miles for not a lot of $$$. They have a reputation of being bullet proof for reliability. If you do go used, look at the 11th digit in the VIN. T = Thailand, J = England. Buy used, and if it turns out to not be to your liking, you can easily sell it without losing a lot of money. Maybe none.

You can read all about them on the RAT forums, including a lengthy thread about England versus Thailand. They went to fuel injection with the 2009 model years. I like FI, but I'm fine with the carbs on my bike. It started easily at below freezing temperatures, and it runs great.

Do some research on the RAT forum. Post a thread asking about any patterns of quality or reliability issues on any of Triumph's modern twins. You'll be surprised, compared to a similar thread about BMW. Look at it this way - buy a used Bonnie or Scrambler, no worries about final drives, EWS failure, fuel mapping and stalling issues, fuel pump controllers, etc. Of course, you'll also get the best of 70's technology. My Scrammy has no ESA, no gear position indicator, no self cancelling turn signals, no fuel gauge, no ABS. Except for the electronic ignition, pretty much the level of technology on my 1975 BMW.
    Howard Edwards

2014 Road King; 1975 R75/6

Smile

During bike week in Daytona this year BMW of Daytona was selling new Bonnevilles for $6000 plus tax. Ride Safe