Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Converting speakers to earbuds?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    Even in-helmet speakers are illegal in Mass. YMMV.
    The AMA sez this is so, however I cannot find a reference to this in the MA general laws. A rider friend, who is also a cop in MA, can't find it either.

The reality is that I've pulled my earbuds out in front of a Massachusetts cop plenty of times and it's never been mentioned. (Don't ask me why I was stopped....)
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Fof Rally Bast'd at Large rocketman's Avatar
    I've been trying various set ups for music for in helmet sound and help deaden the wind noise and found some noise cancelling earphones at Radio Shack that I could remove the earpiece from the band and use that to slip under the helmet liner to hold the ear piece in place. Some helmets also have a place to put com unit interfaces in, you could put the female plug there. The NC is nice with reducing wind noise and since I suffer from tinitus the music helps act as "while noise" in my dead ear to reduce the roaring I would suffer from after riding for awhile.

RM
    "A man isn't totally drunk if he can lie on the floor without hanging on!" Joe Louis; comedian
    "I'll make a deal with you, I won't bore with my Science if you don't bore me with your Politics!" Lionel Barrymore from the 1929 film "The Mysterious Island"

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    One more question Fred,

I took my Scala apart & saw 2 wires soldered in for one speaker & 3 wired in for the other. What are the 3 wires? How did you connect them. I bought your Radio Shack plug, but tried to disassemble first, now I'm just going to cut & solder the wires.
    I first started to take the Scala apart but didn't want to compromise the mic and electronics board. I cut the wires coming out of the Scala with enough link to add connector and attach to the clamp.
    Fred
    '09 K1200LT
    '04 R1150 Rockster
    BMW-MOA, RoTB, NEF

Quote Originally Posted by FSwish View Post
    I first started to take the Scala apart but didn't want to compromise the mic and electronics board. I cut the wires coming out of the Scala with enough link to add connector and attach to the clamp.
    Right... But soldered to the board, one side had 3 wires, one had 2. When you cut the exposed wires, was it just a conventional 2 & 2? ie, one common each & one "hot"? I was ready to do what you did, until I saw the extra wire on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by FSwish View Post
    Right... But soldered to the board, one side had 3 wires, one had 2. When you cut the exposed wires, was it just a conventional 2 & 2? ie, one common each & one "hot"? I was ready to do what you did, until I saw the extra wire on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFlyer View Post
    I have the ability to clip the wires and re-solder whatever is necessary, but how have you guys done it? I'm seriously considering the etymotic e6 earbuds for this application.
    I don't recommend attempting to cut/shorten the ER6 (specifically) earphone wires, they used that conductive fiber type wire which is a b*itch to work with. The ER6's are no longer available anyway, having been discontinued last summer. The ER6i's use the same wire. The newer HF5's might work, I have had no need to cut into them yet to find out what kind of wire they use.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '96 K1100LTA 'Dusty'
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Here is a great similar thread on the Advrider forum complete with pics of the installation.

Skip the first few to post #9 and forward.