Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have I lost it?

Have I lost it?

Be nice, I am not referring to my mind (Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most).

It's a beautiful day today and I took the car to work.

Let me explain. I live 15 minutes from my store. The temps this morning are high 30's low 40's. I just can't bring myself to take the 10 minutes to put the liner in the coat and gear up for a 15 minute ride. Coming home it would be the opposite.

And now I feel guilty. I feel like I shouldn't let the bike sit and I shouldn't mind the hassle as long as I get some saddle time. Have I lost the spark?

Is it just me or do others feel the same way?
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Come on Steve! I ride to work (10 minutes tops!) in the morning with my jacket (liner in so far), Aerostitch heated vest and a close fitting Nike pull-over windbreaker. By the time I ride home at lunch I'm usually down to just the jacket. JUST DO IT!
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

I also live fairly close to work, and sometimes I just don't feel like riding. I like to think that assessing my riding willingness is part of an almost-subconscious pre-ride check of me, and a good thing. If I'm borderline sick, or just don't feel up to it, I shouldn't be out there mixing it up with coffee-drinking cellphone-using makeup-applying cagers.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

It happens to me too. Oddly, I think if my commute were longer, I might be inclined to ride to work more often.

I usually leave for work around 6:00 AM for about a 5-6 mile commute and sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with it either, even though it is easily possible. Too little sleep...a little under the weather...forget it. There are just some mornings I prefer to swing by Starbucks on my way in and enjoy a little more peace and quiet before the sh*t hits the fan at work. Other mornings, it's a ball to start off with a twist of the throttle and the wind in my face.

Don't feel guilty about it. Just enjoy a ride after work to let off some steam.
    Larry Davis
    Cape Girardeau MO
    R1200RT, R75/7, 545i

If I'm running late, I drive, If i'm early, I ride... I am only 9 miles away...

Except for a very few folks in the U.S. and a few million in Asia, who have no choice but to ride something, riding is supposed to be fun. If conditions are such (cold, wet, windy, hot, dusty, suicidal traffic, etc) that it won't be fun, why bother? There are few rewards and fewer awards for riding when it sucks, so why do it?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhway View Post
    Be nice, I am not referring to my mind (Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most).

It's a beautiful day today and I took the car to work.

Let me explain. I live 15 minutes from my store. The temps this morning are high 30's low 40's. I just can't bring myself to take the 10 minutes to put the liner in the coat and gear up for a 15 minute ride. Coming home it would be the opposite.

And now I feel guilty. I feel like I shouldn't let the bike sit and I shouldn't mind the hassle as long as I get some saddle time. Have I lost the spark?

Is it just me or do others feel the same way?
    Well if going home would be the opposite, then you'd save yourself the 15 minutes prep time so in the end it all works out, right?

Time, after all, is relative, right?

See?

RM

Seems normal to me. I had to go to my mechanics yesterday, and didn't take the bike. I needed to bring a laptop, and I was afraid it would take a beating on my bike, and I didn't want to take the time to gear up.
    It happens.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Home and work are 6 miles apart and I rarely ride. Traffic is bad in the morning, and worse in the evening. To paraphrase Paul: "if its not fun why do it?"

regards,
    Mark

My work is about 5-15 minutes from my house, depending on traffic and luck of the lights. All on city streets. For me, I had hard time wanting to ride when I spent more time gearing up and taking it off, than I did riding the bike. Now it's a no brain-er. I have to drop the little one--who's two-- off at daycare. So riding the bike's out of the question. The irony here is my "drive" to work is much longer now.

I don't think you lost the spark. It's just that reality and common sense were included in your decision. Sometimes fun trumps that, but this time it didn't. So what.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Work?
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Work?
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

I live about 40 minutes away from work and even then sometimes it seems too much work to put the bike kit on just to ride to work. Bike gets 40-45 mpg, Avalanche gets approx 17 mpg. And actually, the weather typically has very little with my decision to ride. As long as there is no ice on the road, I will ride regardless of temperature.

But sometimes, it's just nice to walk out the door, hop into the truck, and drive off.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    Work?
    Karen - stop taunting the working class!!

I retired 4 years ago at the age of 53, but somehow remain incredibly busy. How did that happen?!

I do teach MSF courses at the Road America Race Track (Elkhart Lake, WI) and at Lakeshore Technical College (Manitowoc Co.), but that's just playing with motorcycles all day, and they pay me for it - don't tell them I'd probably do it for a free lunch.

Steve - you haven't lost the spark - just had a misfire.

Hop on that BMW and enjoy moments you'll regret not having some day.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

It could be worse....

I've never been bothered by the extra time that it takes to gear-up for my 14 mile commute, even when it's 12* out and extra layers + the Gerbings had to be wired-in. What's an extra 5 minutes when it's 6am?

However, I suddenly lost my 'Moto-Mojo' while riding to work on Monday... which is to say, my motivation to ride.

Nothing dramatic, no impending doom, and no ill-feelings, just the sense that I'm done. 36 years of riding with only a few bumps, bruises, one break and a few trashed bikes along the way. Beyond that, I just don't have any new goals or challenges waiting for me that involve my beloved motorcycles so... mission accomplished.

So, both of my Boxers are on the market, as well all of my riding gear and extras.
    '03 R1100S Replika & '11 H-D FXDWG