Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K13GT Alternator Failure!

Great news! Happy to hear resolution for you.

BTW ALL my accesories are thru the fuse panel
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Caribbean Druid
    Yeh, I guess I was a little late getting mine installed. Anyway, my service manager has offered to go ahead and install the fuse panel for me, since they've already got the bike on the lift and torn apart. Maybe he just doesn't want to see the bike back again, anytime soon...

Is it the Zumo cradle drawing power (with the Zumo removed) or is the Zumo internal battery being charged, drawing down the bike's battery?
    I always remove my Zumo 660 from the bike when parked and never have a problem.

Zumo Cradle

Interesting. I had the same problem-low battery- on my bike with the 550 mount. I took the bike to the dealer and they finally got the battery charged and found no other problem. I have not had any battery problems since I installed the Centech fuzeblock.
    Don S

Caribbean Druid
    No, the cradle is drawing 11 volts constantly, without the GPS installed. I'm wondering if the XM radio/antennae is causng that draw? Anyone have an idea about that?

The XM antenna should not draw anything - it is not powered, there is only one single connector to the cradle, nothing to power.

The Zumo itself is the interface for the XM radio
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Old school

I've left maps in my tank bag for months and they never messed with the battery....
    Are our bikes getting too complicated? I like the Air Head motto "Simple By Design"
    Glad your issue was resolved sounds like you have a great relationship with your dealer.

Caribbean Druid
    Yes, but is it possible that if there is problem with the cradle, that it is feeding that power to the XM? The 11 volts has to go somewhere...

There is a thread in the oilhead forum that discusses the Zumo 660 topic as well. One of the guys actually measured the current drain, before the Zumo 660 was installed, and after it was installed (powered off, both cradle only and Zumo on the cradle).
    The powered off Zumo draws .84ma, the cradle alone draws .1 ma.

Everyone should be aware that your bike drains a small amount of power in the off state, due to the leakage in all the wonderfull electonic aids we all enjoy.

In the case documented in the oilhead forum, the addition of the Zumo added 33% to the bikes overall power off current drain.

There could be a probelm with the cradleif it is drawing that much.

I addition to the voltage and way you can check the actualcurrent draw?

Have you checked or posted on the Zumo Forums www.zumoforums.com; they are quite knowlegdeable.
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Caribbean Druid
    We're headed out to CA this week for a new bike model intro. Once we get back, I'm going to contact Garmin directly and chat with them about it. Their customer service has been pretty good in the past.

In the meantime, picked up the bike on Sat. Everything is now wired through the CenTech, which is mounted under the seat in the previously empty spot reserved for the alarm system. The GPS and radar detector go through the switched fuses, and my CooCase power runs through the unswitched side. They wired my switched power into the outlet, so I have about a 45 second delay from the time I shut off the ignition until the GPS and radar detector power down. They even did this nice wiring harness for everything, so it looks very neat.

BTW, the yellow wire in the top right is the tap for my CooCase lights, just in case anyone's wondering...

Why?

GPS? XM radio? Radar Detector?

That's a lot of frustration and expense for limited gain.

How about riding for the sake of riding?

Leave all that stuff at home, except maybe a road map, and follow your front tire to wherever it leads you. Problem free touring. It's the way to go.

Why Not?

I like the technology and the gadgets and having the information they provide.

To each his own. Ride as you like
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Caribbean Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet View Post
    GPS? XM radio? Radar Detector?

That's a lot of frustration and expense for limited gain.

How about riding for the sake of riding?

Leave all that stuff at home, except maybe a road map, and follow your front tire to wherever it leads you. Problem free touring. It's the way to go.
    Agreed. To each his own. Ride safe!

Whatever turns your wheels...

... as long as all these electronic gadgets don't distract from the task at hand.

Semper Fi: Did you ever change the air filter on your GT?