Thread: Nav 4 vs 660 vs other?

Got curvy roads?

Nav 4 vs 660 vs other?

I had started a thread in the wrong location http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44540 but wanted to get more info. As mentioned in this thread the Nav 4 version is crippled vs the standard 660. Just curious what is meant by crippled? Not really interested in adding the XM since it is just more costs that I can compensate with mp3s and a blue tooth headset. Still haven't decided on the headset version yet. Want an AD2P capable unit. Hopefully will be pairing a phone (just for curiosity if some calls) and somewhere in the future a radar detector.

From what I have heard the Garmin is the standard for a dedicated motorcycle GPS. Thoughts? Any other experiences?
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

I have a 660, get one. Love it. Great review here.

Why? Wired headset or BT headset (Nav 4 is just BT), no xtra large cradle in the way with no-use xtra buttons, and $$$$ less.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-J View Post
    Why? Wired headset or BT headset (Nav 4 is just BT), no xtra large cradle in the way with no-use xtra buttons, and $$$$ less.
    Funny - because those buttons are the reason I love the Navigator series. Trying to zoom in/out using the on-screen buttons with gloves on just really doesn't work for me, and becomes a distraction I don't need when riding. I have a NAV-III and a Garmin 2720 - basically the same unit (with a few things like BT on the NAV-III, which I use a lot..), but the useability of the two on the bike, the NAV-III wins hands down.

Distraction while riding is an obvious safety hazard. Trying to zoom in with an on-screen button, and having the GPS decide you want to mark a location (the most common result), then having to back up, get back to map mode and try again - is a dangerous distraction IMHO, vs - press the + button.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Na..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I have no issue zomming on my 660 with gloves on. You must have extra large hands.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog