Thread: Skip the GPS for Google Maps Navigation

Hybrid View

Got curvy roads?

Skip the GPS for Google Maps Navigation

Just curious if any of you have, or considered skipping the traditional GPS unit and are using the Google Maps Navigation on a cell phone with an intercom system?

Just thinking one less device to haul around.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

RIDEOREGON
    When touring, I use my Zumo to create a custom route picking the most interesting roads--usually NOT the most direct roads. Will the Google map/mobile phone do that?

Got curvy roads?

custom maps

From what I have seen (yet to do myself) you can create custom Google maps and download them to the phone. Not sure how it would be done on the phone, but from my experience with an iPhone you can adjust your Google maps. Just curious if the Andriod phones provide more functionality. I totally agree with you about about custom maps. If I can't do that, then this is not an option. I don't want to ride the super slab everywhere! Oh so boring...
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

That's half the fun of trips. I sit here at my computer and plot my entire route and download it onto my Garmin Quest II. Works neat with the software that came with it (plus updates of course).
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

New2rt
    Old school, I still use a map.

Jim

Google Maps

Just got a Droid and have just started to experiment with the maps/GPS. I can say one thing, the voice directions are good but the screen is very small and if you zoom the amount of coverage is very very small. I'll post as I get more familar with the system and also see what apps are avail.
    2008 R1200RT Sand Beige
    1984 Honda V65 Magna

Quote Originally Posted by New2rt View Post
    Old school, I still use a map.
    +1

I have an iPhone, and the google map app works well, but it really sucks power. Sometimes I'll look at it in a restaurant or gas station. And its helpful to input a specific address before I leave, then pull over and look at it later when I get close. But when I'm on the bike its in my pocket, and a paper map is on my tankbag.

I've used it more in my car because I can have it plugged in my car's charger. Even then, I'll usually pull over because I don't like looking at the small screen while driving. When my wife is with me in the car, though, whoever isn't driving can use it and be the navigator.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Quote Originally Posted by Bezdelnik View Post
    Just curious if any of you have, or considered skipping the traditional GPS unit and are using the Google Maps Navigation on a cell phone with an intercom system?

Just thinking one less device to haul around.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?
    Yes, I have been thinking about this option also. Since I have to carry my work Blackberry with me a lot of the time anyway.

I was over in Germany in January on business and had my Blackberry with me. While there, I downloaded the Google Maps client. It worked really well in Germany. I did a lot of walking and riding public transportation. It helped me find the streets, railway stations, and even while riding on the train, I could tell in advance what station I was approaching, helping me not miss my get off point.

However, I did notice that the map refresh could not keep up with the higher speed trains, and sometimes became unusable. But for general getting around at slower speeds (and even in a rental car) it did not work too bad.

Now I have been trying to use the Blackberry - Google maps here in the states and in many places I am finding that the map refresh can not keep up even in slow speed situations.

The other problem I see for using on my bike is the small screen size. I do prefer the sort of oblique view of the streets you get on a dedicated GPS device. And the dedicated GPS devices do not have any problem with map refresh speeds.

I think someday the Blackberry's, iPhones, etc. will get there with the speed and access points, but I probably will still have an issue with the small screen.

Actually, I probably could get by just fine with my trusted set of state Department of Transportation maps and my Blackberry - Google Maps setup. I usually have the most problem finding my way around in the towns and cities anyway.
    2014 R1200 GSA, 92 K75s. Gone: 97 F650st, 04 R1100s, 78 R80/7, 76 Honda 750F, Maico 400, Husqvarna 360 8 speed, Honda SL-350, Suzuki 250 Savage, Honda 175SL, Bonanza 100.

My company-issued Crackberry has TelNav (for which my company pays $9.95 per month!), and while it is handy, it can be very annoying. One thing the REALLY chaps my ass about it is the fact that the brains are elsewhere and it must access that remote-server trough the mobile network...causing lags that are sometimes bad enough to make me miss a turn because I'm still waiting for the next direction to download!

I like my Zumo better in most regards, but it has weaknesses too...its method for inputting addresses is much more cumbersome than that of TelNav, and I learned in the field that it doesn't have an easy way to reverse a route! That one was a real pain in the ass.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by The_Veg View Post
    {snip}... it doesn't have an easy way to reverse a route!...{snip}
    I hear ya' Veg. What is so hard about reordering waypoints. I think this is a Garmin thing 'cause my Nuvi 550 is the same way.

One thing I have started doing is to plan my routes in MapQuest and, with the Garmin Communicator plug-in, download the route to the GPS. If I am on an out and back trip through unfamiliar roads and have time restrictions, I reverse the route in MapQuest and download the return trip.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Reverse Route" button. Hello? Garmin? You there?
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

I have done the navigation with maps and with a GPS.

I always plan the trip with maps, usually on Google Maps, and print out the route to carry as a backup.

GPS is a great thing for me because I am somewhat directionally challenged. If I have maps, I'm fine. The thing I like about having a GPS is that it allows me to relax and enjoy the trip. With maps, I am always looking for the next turn and if I miss the turn, I have to backtrack and get back on the same route as the map. I have missed turns using maps that cost me 15 minutes or more. I have missed turns with the GPS and it has never cost me more than a few minutes. Often, you can miss the turn and not lose any time at all because it automatically recalculates the route and you just keep moving without the need to backtrack.

The thing I really like about the GPS is the freedom to explore. You can just head down a road that looks interesting and not worry about getting lost. This is particularly nice if you prefer the two lane highways and county roads, like I do. I don't have a problem riding on the interstate except for the boredom. I have taken extended trips on two lane highways where I only occasionally see another car. If the two lane road is parallel to an interstate, you may not see many cars at all. I like rolling through all the little towns and before the GPS it was easy to miss the turns in town you need to make just to stay on the same highway you are already on. It is amazing to me how many are just not marked.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by THEO View Post
    I hear ya' Veg. What is so hard about reordering waypoints. I think this is a Garmin thing 'cause my Nuvi 550 is the same way.

One thing I have started doing is to plan my routes in MapQuest and, with the Garmin Communicator plug-in, download the route to the GPS. If I am on an out and back trip through unfamiliar roads and have time restrictions, I reverse the route in MapQuest and download the return trip.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a "Reverse Route" button. Hello? Garmin? You there?
    The older Garmins, my QuestII for example, did have a reverse route button. On the Zumo, I just look at the turquoise breadcrumb trail that is onscreen to reverse a route...you have to have the tracking feature on, but it is adequate for most back tracks for me...no audible turns however.

But, I agree it is a feature they should have left available on the newer models
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Try an iPad and have more big screen fun

Lots of great comments. I sometimes print out google maps using the advanced no highways settings and drag the road around to where I want to go and print. Unfortunately, you cannot do this on an iPhone (or iPad for that matter). The iPhone works great for a quick where am I but doesn't do very well if you have traveled for hours and are now in a location without a data connection (frequent).

When I purchased my iPad I couldn't wait to get it on the bike. The screen is huge versus the usual GPS units. I wrote it up here. http://www.henshall.com/stuart/2010/...k-for-certain/ One thing the iPad does do well is retain the map. I'm yet to "lose" having access to the map on it although my wifi version won't give me location if my mobile hotspot can't find good old AT&T. The 3G version will cure the location and has the potential to be a very effective GPS - although note you can't see it in the sun. Mapquest can provide turn by turn but not yet in an ipod format. iPhone upsized.

Of note Nokia launched their Ovi Maps and these are downloaded to the phone. Thus a connection is not necessary for directions.

So.... a dedicated bike GPS unit is definitely still the best choice, although if you can read a map and like to wander... these phones are getting pretty good. The iPad also provides all the satellite view, hybrid views, etc. and can offer details on the hotel etc too and a movie in the tent.

Happy Riding!

Ditto on the no cell service, no Google Maps. When you need it most it is not available. I have a new HTC smart phone operating on T-Mobile's network. Google Maps is a convenience but it is no where near as quick and easy to use as my Garmin Zumo even in the heart of Denver where I get full 3G speed..
    I get knocked down, But I get up again, You're never going to keep me down - Chumbawamba

Denver, CO - '05 R1200RT, '06 F650 GS Dakar, 2006 Yamaha WR450F