Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skip the GPS for Google Maps Navigation

Got curvy roads?

Skip the GPS for Google Maps Navigation

Just curious if any of you have, or considered skipping the traditional GPS unit and are using the Google Maps Navigation on a cell phone with an intercom system?

Just thinking one less device to haul around.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

RIDEOREGON
    When touring, I use my Zumo to create a custom route picking the most interesting roads--usually NOT the most direct roads. Will the Google map/mobile phone do that?

Got curvy roads?

custom maps

From what I have seen (yet to do myself) you can create custom Google maps and download them to the phone. Not sure how it would be done on the phone, but from my experience with an iPhone you can adjust your Google maps. Just curious if the Andriod phones provide more functionality. I totally agree with you about about custom maps. If I can't do that, then this is not an option. I don't want to ride the super slab everywhere! Oh so boring...
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

That's half the fun of trips. I sit here at my computer and plot my entire route and download it onto my Garmin Quest II. Works neat with the software that came with it (plus updates of course).
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

New2rt
    Old school, I still use a map.

Jim

Google Maps

Just got a Droid and have just started to experiment with the maps/GPS. I can say one thing, the voice directions are good but the screen is very small and if you zoom the amount of coverage is very very small. I'll post as I get more familar with the system and also see what apps are avail.
    2008 R1200RT Sand Beige
    1984 Honda V65 Magna

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    A few problems, I ride a lot of area with no cell coverage, thus NO maps, unless you have a special program. 2nd can't see te screen in bright light. 3rd, point to point might be OK, but if you have specific way points and roads you want to include in the journey, I don't think it is doable.

4th problem

Not waterproof
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Another thing to consider is the "turn-by-turn" visual queueing that you get from a GPS. I haven't tried my phone's presentation of the queueing, but on my GPS I get a big black turn-arrow with a count-up progress bar. Very quick to visually get the distance and direction of the upcoming turn.

That being said, I find myself using the GPS in urban areas about 80% of the time. When I'm in the country, there are more beautiful things to look at!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

dbriggs2000
    My preference is to ride until I am completely lost and then turn on the GPS to find my way home...

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by dbriggs2000 View Post
    My preference is to ride until I am completely lost and then turn on the GPS to find my way home...
    funny but I generally do the opposite, I use the GPS to get myself lost (y using shortest distance setting) then turn it off and use my map to find my way home!

RM

RIDEOREGON
    Being an iphone user AND a Zumo user, the interface for creating routes is much better on the Zumo. Essentialy, when on the road in a motel at night, you can power up the Zumo and create a custom route using waypoints. Hey, it beats watching American Idol.

The one thing that my GPS has is street maps of anywhere I go in the US.
    I can't carry that many paper maps.

One time on a Interstate Hwy the traffic was backed up and I took the next exit.
    With my GPS I found another old Hwy that I took for a few miles until some other road construction.
    Then I used my GPS to find a route through residential streets.

I don't know if is saved time or not but it was more fun.

MOD Action..

I'm moving this thread to the "GEAR" section since it isn't Hexhead specific.

Please keep your hands and feet inside the thread for your safety and protection, and HANG ON...

Whooooooooooooooossssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh........
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Yarddog
    I usually leave the electronic devices home along with all the other electronic devices except a simple cell phone for emergencies and let the front wheel go where it will...I have found that generally, the rest of the bike and myself will follow that wheel...If for some reason I am confused, a simple paper map always does the trick without fuss or muss...no batteries to go bad, no satellites to access...nothing but simplicity...

And, isn't that the reason we do this motorcycle thang in the first place?